Falling for your best friend

Options

Replies

• DavidOfOz
    DavidOfOz Posts: 225
    Options
    Let her know....if the friendship is THAT strong, it will survive even if your feeling isnt reciprocated!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Don't be a wimp!!! Man up and tell her, then give her a passionate kiss!!!

Caution you better be a Damn good kisser!!!!!
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    My best friend of 30+ years and I fell for each other as well. Or at least we thought. We talked about it, decided to give it a shot. We went out on a real date...he kissed me...and we both started laughing. It was weeeiiiiird! Still best friends and we still laugh about it.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    What part of NC?
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    If you've been so close for 15 years, admitting feeling something for her wont ruin a bond that has taken that long to form. I think you should mention it, but go with your gut!
    ^^^good advice. I think this is sweet, could make for a great story one day :)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Personally, a friend of mine and I did it after 12 years of friendship. It was fun for a week, but looking back it was a bad idea. You just know too much and a friend of 15+ years is more important. If it was going to be, it already would have been.
  • sweetmommy215
    Options
    aww...how sweet...

but yeah, i've been there, and we tried it, and it was a spectacular failure...

but we stayed friends, and that was good for us.

Same thing happened to me.
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I married my best friend after 8 years of friendship....10 yrs of awesome marriage later... :)
    Everyone is different, but I think the kissing thing is dumb.... I felt it for him, he felt it for me and neither of us "acted" on it --who wants to ruin a great friendship. It was him telling me that did the trick for us. Just sayin'
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Just tell her.
  • paulalynell
    paulalynell Posts: 32
    Options
    You should just tell her. My best friend and I ended up married after high school and with 2 kids. We are not together anymore but still are best friends.
    If you honestly are best friends and you tell her and she doesn't feel the same, yall will eventually move on past the awkward. At least that is my opinion(:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Never understood this stigma about relationships ruining friendships. Imo, if you're not married to your best friend, then you married the wrong person.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you both really felt it and were ready, youd have kissed.

That's true..

Uh... no. Risking an established and important friendship is a big deal and she may have just had all the same thoughts running through her head that you did.

Just talk about it. I [we] made the mistake of ignoring it for way too long, and basically lost my best friend in the world for nearly 10 years. (We just can't really be around one another anymore because it's inappropriate for friends but neither of us wants to date. It's FUBARed.) Don't let that happen! Bring it up!
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I fell for my best friends brother we grew up together and became really good friends. One day we admited we liked each other. 10 years later we still together and married 6 of those years. Sometimes it is worth the risk. Plus being friends for that long it shouldnt damage your friendship
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Would you rather put your heart on the line and find out if the feeling is mutual? Or stay safe and stick w/ the status quo?

It's a risk either way. It's which is more important to you???

Frankly, I'd rather know someone was interested even if it makes the friendship more awkward temporarily. But I would move past it and keep up the friendship.
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    You should tell her.

But consider also this: Far distance relationship are very very difficult. Both of you have to be 100% committed! This doesn't want to discourage you, but I know what I'm talking about. It's not impossible, but it's hard!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If she is really ur bff shouldnt she have given u a hsnd job b4 u left?

Geez louise I LOVE the "ignore" feature!
  • hunibuni73
    hunibuni73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm marrying my best friend of ten years next year!
    We have been together for nine.

The whole year/18months we just friends I was dying for him to kiss me, in the end I kissed him!
    Best thing I ever did! Scary as fook, because of the best friends thing, but if your that close and good friends what harm would a kiss cause? Good friends would have laughed it off and get on with being friends. Lovers, well that's another story ;)
    If your not marrying your best friend, your marrying the wrong person!

Go for it! Good Luck!
    xMx
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just be really careful. Something similar happened with my best friend and I found out how he had felt about me and I just didnt feel the same. I tried to not let it ruin our friendship but it has never been the same since, I just cant forget what he said and started analysing everything that had happened in the last year ago... just turned into a big mess really!

You said you went to see her, so it sounds like you dont live near her at the moment. I would seriously consider if the relationship would even work if you both felt the same way.

Sorry to be on a downer about it, just have a long think about it and weigh up which would be more painful, your friendship breaking down potentially if she doesnt feel the same way or watching her possibly marry somebody else in the future.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and go for it. Be honest and sincere and as romantic as you're able.

I fell in love with my best friend too. Took a bit of convincing on my part, but we're stupid happy together now.

You got one life man. Don't have any regrets.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are both passive. Tell her how you feel. Worst case she doesn't feel the same way you do and you can fall back to plan b... Chloroform.