Free exercise???

Options
I am not ready to get a gym membership so I am doing exercises around the house. Walking the neighborhood, running in place, jumping jacks stuff like that. Do any of y'all have any better suggestions for "free" exercise?

Replies

• KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Playground workout; I strength train at the park with my son. I also hear that the book "You are your own gym" is recommendable (But I haven't read it yet).
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    you have access to the net

www.bodyrock.tv

or
    www.blogilaties.com
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Youtube has fitness videos. Also check out bodyrock.tv. You can rent videos from your local library.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    aerobic steps..good calorie burner, if you haven't got a step use one of the stairs
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you have Internet access, level one of 30 day shred is available on YouTube, loads of people here swear by it and it's working for me too
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    www.exercise.com
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Run!
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try doing circuits with reps of different exercises (I've been doing 30 counts of with 3 reps). Some exercises include: jumping jacks, lunges, mountain climbers, push ups, squats, lunges, supermans, crunches, planks, burpees. Just go from one exercise straight into the next with no rest in between so your heart rate stays up. It's a calorie torcher I promise :tongue:
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    OMG there's soooo many fun options!!

http://www.bodyrock.tv/ first of all they are doing a great may fitness plan i've been keeping up with! only 1 or 2, 12 minute workouts each day and they're great!

also you can look up yoga on youtube, or other cardio workouts such as taebo or even insanity i found online! message me for the link :)

when it's nice out you can go on a scenic walk (bring a camera, or a friend) to pass the time! and when you get home you'll have a great burn along with some nice pictures!

sometimes (this may sound silly) i even spring up and down my stairs for a quick cardio workout!!
    hope i helped:)
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Check this out. http://pinterest.com/fitfluential/fitfluential-workouts/ Several workouts that are challenging that can be done at home with minimal, or no equipment. Be fit!
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    On youtube there is also "Be Fit in 90 days"!

And you have the possibility to run outside the house but you don't know how, I will definitely recommend C25K aka Couch-to-5K! They have a free app online that you can download and just listen to it.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Those are all good ones. Netflix also has some workouts as well. I just started a 200 sit ups challenge through a group here on MFP, and the website has other programs you can do too-pushups, dips, squats, etc. I'm going to do those as supplements to my other at home workouts this summer after this sit up challenge is over.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    www.warriorxfit.com

Free online circuit training.
  • michelle_00
    michelle_00 Posts: 38
    Options
    If you have netflix, ten minute solutions kickbox bootcamp. love it!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My friend Mike suggested a "deck of cards" routine.
    Assign moves to each suit --

clubs = push ups
    diamonds = sit ups
    spades= tricep dips
    hearts= jumping jacks

(just examples)

and then the # you draw, you do that many reps of the exercise. Keep going until you can't do anymore. :-)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

clubs = push ups
    diamonds = sit ups
    spades= tricep dips
    hearts= jumping jacks

(just examples)

and then the # you draw, you do that many reps of the exercise. Keep going until you can't do anymore. :-)

What a great idea! You can use this and go for the exercise Royal Flush.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    Free exercise is the best exercise!

"Free" minus swimsuit, gear
    Ocean/River/Lake swimming, Snorkeling

"Free" minus shoes:
    Walking/Riding bike to store instead of driving. Walking the dog(s). Running/Jogging/Intervals. Hiking in the mountains (boots recommended for ankle support)

"Free" minus boots, gear:
    Hiking, w/ or w/o dog(s). Hiking, w/ or w/o a weighted backpack (water, snacks, map, etc). Weekend backpacking trip (much more gear req'd, but free if you already have it/can borrow it), Climbing (never climb alone).

Other "Free", depending on what you have in the garage, or what you can borrow, or what you can do together w/ your friends:
    Surfing, Kayaking, Climbing -- probably shouldn't do any of these alone (esp. climbing!).

Stay away from skiing/snowboarding (lift tickets $$$), road cycling (everything cost so much $$$$$$$) and free gym trial memberships (yeah they're free but you'll be hounded by pushy salespeople).

Have fun and be adventurous! Oh, and don't you dare trust any of MFP's aerobic Caloriers burned estimates :)
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options

clubs = push ups
    diamonds = sit ups
    spades= tricep dips
    hearts= jumping jacks

(just examples)

This sounds like a fun poker game, you could do with a group of friends.

Draw a card, do that exercise, keep the card,
    can't do the exercise, fold the hand.

Keep going until you run out of cards or everyone taps

Last one to tap, gets the pot