Cupcakes Banned in MA Schools

Options

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Gotta love our great state - thinking that if they ban cupcakes in school the kids can't them and it will help reduce the obseity problem. Really how about if they put more money into after school activities, such as sports - that is usually the first thing they cut back on.
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The last school lunch I saw consisted of (alleged) chicken nuggets, corn, fruit punch, and canned fruit......I don't think the problem is the bake sales or birthday parties.

Definitely this. Jaime Oliver did a series about getting schools to change habits to help stop childhood obesity and ultimately he wasn't very successful because the bad foods are cheap, easy and the kids are so hooked on the salts, fats and textures that they refuse to eat real food. Coming from a school where I ate that same crap day in day out I can attest to the fact that it majorly contributes to the problem.
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I live in the only state that has banned school bake sales, thinking THAT'S going to change the obesity problem. And, they want to ban all fundraising for sports teams by selling cookies or candy, no cupcakes or treats given out for birthdays and no banquets for sports, etc. Maybe it would make more sense to have bigger bake sales and raise money to keep phys ed in the schools!

I'm disgusted!

Sounds typical for the North East...lol Similar stupidity on the West Coast as well.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am with you. They need to worry more about Physical Education in schools! It is crazy that they have done away with PE but then they turn around and serve them a lunch with 2000 calories in it because "for some kids this is all they will eat today". There seems to be a definate problem and it isn't cupcakes.

and don't even get me started on the condoms......:explode:

Hard to believe that our educational delivery system is so out of contact with reality!! Teach kids math and MFP...calories in/calories out will cure obesity!
  • andreachirillo
    andreachirillo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work in a preschool that recently got orders to switch up the menu planning options to all skim milk, all whole, grains, all fresh fruits and veggies (or canned in natural juice or water), no processed meats, no sweets. Our children and families are also no longer allowed to bring ANY food into the program (including birthday / holiday cupcakes or anything else for that matter). We are not allowed to sell food to our families or ask them to sell food for fundraising purposes.

We thought it would be a tough transition, but guess what...IT WAS HARDER FOR THE TEACHERS AND PARENTS than for the children. Sure, some of them pushed some of the new foods around on the plate a little before they actually tried it, but THEY LOVE some of their new meal components.

The hardest part is finding other great fundraising options... ideas anyone?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure these are the same states/schools that eliminate recess in elementary school and reduce Phys Ed. I'm with you, use the funds to support Sports and Phys Ed instead of thinking food is always the issue. Sitting for 8 hours a day does not help these kids with weight issues!
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    While I don't think this decision is going to prove very practical or effective, I do have sympathy for government personnel. When they do nothing, they are criticized for doing nothing. When they do anything else, they are criticized for interfering.

Public health is an incredibly complicated issue, further complicated by the fact that the government's interest in promoting public health competes against the interest of private companies, who profit from our overconsumption and profit again via the weight loss industry. Whenever there are attempts to bring in food regulation (for example, to reduce the sodium in processed foods) it is opposed by lobbyists who use the rallying cry of freedom of choice to defend their "right" to sell whatever food they want.

Another problem is that schools are chronically underfunded in the United States. School boards have not cut funding for gym class and after school sports because they're evil or hate children - they are responding to budget pressure, and they choose to cut gym to keep math. The solution is to properly fund schools, which requires taxing individuals and businesses. If people want to see more programs in schools, they have to be willing to pay for them.

This might be a silly law, but the underlying idea of public policy being used as a tool to encourage public health is not inherently bad.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Insane. Seriously.

No recess, no PE...crap lunches...but "Kids are overweight" and "your kid is hyper". No *kitten*, Sherlock.

My son's school lunches are better than at his previous school, but IMO there is still a LOT of room for improvement - especially in the breakfasts.

But the continually declining amount of time spent at physical activity annoys the heck out of me.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just goes to further prove that government has little clue on what is wrong.

All this will accomplish is less funding for school programs that are already under funded.

I sold candy and did bake sales to support my school cheerleading program. It paid for our uniforms, transportation to and from away games, and sports drinks during the game (instead of just plain water) just to name a few things. Without that funding I am not sure how the program would have survived. They would most likely have to ask the parents to pay fees for their child to be on the squad. Not all parents can afford that. I know from personal experience that the only reason I did cheerleading instead of dance is that it was free and my mom couldn't afford any extras in the family budget.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I live in the only state that has banned school bake sales, thinking THAT'S going to change the obesity problem. And, they want to ban all fundraising for sports teams by selling cookies or candy, no cupcakes or treats given out for birthdays and no banquets for sports, etc. Maybe it would make more sense to have bigger bake sales and raise money to keep phys ed in the schools!

I'm disgusted!

Not surprising at all. Big Brother alive and well. The future of all of society. People need to wake up about the control we are just handing over to the government...LIVE FREE OR DIE...sorry that was my NH born identity piping up. Carry on.
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I heard thwey were voting to ban beer at Sox games too!!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It is about the same here in So. Indiana. They think by limiting what they can have for lunch and parties (which they have put a limit on how many we can have... think its currently 2 per school year) is going to make the kids thinner. The issue is not what the school gives the kids but what the parents give the kids and the lack of making kids move! I am at fault myself... my kids eat bunches of junk and my oldest hardly moves. I am trying to correct this situation at this moment. So at the kids "parties" we have to give them 90% healthy and 10% crap.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options

The hardest part is finding other great fundraising options... ideas anyone?

Little kids make the most wonderful works of art. Find a local artist to matt and frame them and then auction them.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ireland, my son's school seems to have a really good structure in place - they all bring packed lunches but their lunch must contain at least one piece of fruit daily. They're not allowed bring crisps (potato chips), soda, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, but on Fridays they're allowed to bring a chocolate bar or a cupcake or bun. I think it's a good way to teach them moderation. They also have swimming, football and gardening (!) during the week.

For all I give out about it, I guess we're actually pretty lucky!

I love this. I think its fantastic.

Our son rather have salad than mac and cheese any day.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I actually wish vending machines, cupcakes and bake sales, and the junk food line in the cafeteria were all taken away when I was in school.

If I didn't have access to Hot Cheetos with nacho cheese, pizza from Little Ceasar's, soda, candy, cupcakes, ice cream at lunch time when I was in middle school and high school - I might have had a chance at becoming healthier a lot sooner and wouldn't be suffering and struggling to do it in my adult life.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Thats massachusetts for you. this state is WAY WAY WAY over the top
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I actually wish vending machines, cupcakes and bake sales, and the junk food line in the cafeteria were all taken away when I was in school.

If I didn't have access to Hot Cheetos with nacho cheese, pizza from Little Ceasar's, soda, candy, cupcakes, ice cream at lunch time when I was in middle school and high school - I might have had a chance at becoming healthier a lot sooner and wouldn't be suffering and struggling to do it in my adult life.

None of this was available at my schools at all until high school.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I'm in Ireland, my son's school seems to have a really good structure in place - they all bring packed lunches but their lunch must contain at least one piece of fruit daily. They're not allowed bring crisps (potato chips), soda, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, but on Fridays they're allowed to bring a chocolate bar or a cupcake or bun. I think it's a good way to teach them moderation. They also have swimming, football and gardening (!) during the week.

For all I give out about it, I guess we're actually pretty lucky!

I disagree. I packed my kids lunches every day and I would be really angry with the public schools (gov't run) telling me what I can and can't feed my kids.

They aren't telling you what you can and can't feed kids - you can feed your kids all the junk they want - at home.

My views on this are that junk food has no place in their diet when teachers are responsible for getting these kids to learn. Do you know how difficult it is to teach kids after they eat a lunch of junk? They are either hyper and can't concentrate or are crashing and can't stay awake. I don't view this as a health issue or a 'telling parents what to feed their kids' issue, I view it as a "let's all work together and give these kids the best opportunities we can to get a good education, and that includes making sure that their lunch doesn't create a hindrance for them to learn". They can have whatever junk you want to feed them when they get home from school, when YOU have to deal with them :-)

Just my opinion, and i'm not saying you only feed your kids junk, but many parents DO feed their kids nothing but junk, because they don't know any better or are lazy. I think guidelines are a good thing. It's not like these kids don't get ENOUGH cookies, cupcakes, etc without the school making them readily accessible or the parents shoving them in their lunchbags. I just think there is a time and place for everything. And if we want to ensure a child's success and improve performance in school, you'd be surprised at how much a good diet can affect that.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Instead of making healthier cupcakes, or moderating the cupcakes size & whats in it...they ban them? That's just ignorant. It's like covering up a problem instead of dealing with it.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Kids in my town aren't allowed to run on the playground. Or when they play wiffel ball. Or play tag. Seems like i'd focus more on encouraging the kids to be active and leave the dietary limitations up to the parents.