Veg calories

Options

Replies

• JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Definitely. They all add up . . . look at the calories in beans or peas alone . . .
    and corn!!!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate my veggies unless I eat a lot or a higher cal veggie like celery or cauliflower

Yeah that celery is super high cal! :flowerforyou:
    Haha celery? Celery packed with peanut butter yes.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Make a recipe of the things you often eat together. I have one called 'vegie stirfry' which includes an onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, capsicums, broccoli and snow peas. The combo usually makes 4 servings, so anytime I have a stirfry I use that recipe, then just add the meat, noodles/rice, and sauce and I'm good to go.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I do and I know my vegan friends do...
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain. Beans are legumes (even green beans). :)
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I do, and in addition to tracking the calories, I need to track fiber, iron, and the like, and the veggies can add considerably to my macros!

Heck, I log breath mints....
  • RunningMama1276
    RunningMama1276 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't always measure exactly, but I definitely log them. I like seeing the servings of veggies and fiber adding up.

Hence why it is important to log. It is about more than just the calories. There are other positive nutritional factors to veggies (fiber, vitamins...).
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts consumed today - 200 cals. Yum - I love my veggies :-)
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    if i bite it i write it

^^That
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    the only time i don't count a veggie is if it's something very small and leafy green, like lettuce or spinach on a sandwich or wrap.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Definitely!!! You need to know that what you put in your mouth has a value (even a positive one)
  • iwannalosealot
    Options
    for sure you count every thing you eat no matter what it is even fruit
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I do...it also helps me keep track of how many servings of beg ive eaten.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    the only time i don't count a veggie is if it's something very small and leafy green, like lettuce or spinach on a sandwich or wrap.

^this. And most times I still log it, just because I am in the habit of logging everything.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain. Beans are legumes (even green beans). :)

As are peanuts.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I do. But I'm also vegan and many days I eat quite a lot of veggies. I do kind of guesstimate on the actual amount though... I probably eat more than I add some day and less on others, but I figure that most of the veggies are low calorie enough that a little leeway isn't going to hurt me. I just try to be more accurate with the higher calorie veggies.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I log it all, even my vitamins. I want to be sure I am eating enough protein, potassium, etc etc. A calorie is a calorie.
  • jodyw83
    jodyw83 Posts: 38
    Options
    I put in EVERYTHING. I ate a cheeto and logged it! Every calorie counts and not putting things that have any calories is a slippery slope! Some veggies are low, most are about 30 cals a cup in my experience, but some are much higher. Like... corn is 70 per half cup I think. So I would make sure you put those in!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I don't log celery. As a gift to myself and my sanity.