Is my metabolism dead?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I can't recommend eating breakfast enough. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. Absolutely essential, your coffee in the AM is not a meal.

Holy Broscience Batman, you should spend some time researching then, because this myth was busted a long time ago by the NIH. Congrats.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I should maybe breakdown what I mean by that ---- and thanks for getting all butt-hurt about it fellas, chill out.

My personal experience, with my clients, is that those who are the most successful find a way to get something more subtantial than coffee in the morning. Oftentimes it's some instant oatmeal, or a scrambled egg.

I try to describe "ramping up" your metabolism like building a fire. If you keep it fueled with clean foods at predictable times, the fire will burn strong and long.

Breakfast is NOT the be all, end all of nutrition. But I do find that my people are more successful with their weight losses when they are able to squeeze in something.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I stick to my calories but my weight doesn't budge. Adding extra calories ends up with me gaining. It's terribly frustrating.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Have your tried weight lifting at all? Even just using dumb bells will help build muscle mass, which in turns burns more calories long after you are done lifting.
  • thekacers
    thekacers Posts: 68
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I can't recommend eating breakfast enough. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. Absolutely essential, your coffee in the AM is not a meal.

Holy Broscience Batman, you should spend some time researching then, because this myth was busted a long time ago by the NIH. Congrats.

really? from the NIH website

Myth: Skipping meals is a good way to lose weight.
    Fact: Studies show that people who skip breakfast and eat fewer times during the day tend to be heavier than people who eat a healthy breakfast and eat four or five times a day. This may be because people who skip meals tend to feel hungrier later on, and eat more than they normally would. It may also be that eating many small meals throughout the day helps people control their appetites.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It took me six weeks to get my metabolism to be on track and to find my perfect calorie balance
    I am 5'2" 143 pounds and eat 1600 calories a fay workout 6× a week and burn 600 to 100 calories a day. On those high bum days I eat to a net of at least 1200. Don't get discourage d it takes time to find the right balance for you. Just keep tweaking till you get there because you will:-)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Is it me or did the brozone go up in here?

If we are trying to get her to eat regular meals and more of them then cool!
    Breakfast is a good start.

However, some of us choose to sleep in and eat around 1 or 2pm to take advantage of the insulin sensitivity and nutrient uptake of our first meal...after say...a 16hour fast.

Good stuff on this page, with studies highlighted in orange.

Enjoy!
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Look for the meal frequency part.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Is it me or did the brozone go up in here?

If we are trying to get her to eat regular meals and more of them then cool!
    Breakfast is a good start.

However, some of us choose to sleep in and eat around 1 or 2pm to take advantage of the insulin sensitivity and nutrient uptake of our first meal...after say...a 16hour fast.

Good stuff on this page, with studies highlighted in orange.

Enjoy!
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Look for the meal frequency part.

Good post helloitsdan. It seems on this site that everyone makes everything so black and white. Although it is mostly calories in vs. calories out, there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration. Weight loss isn't one size fits all.

To OP, I would definitely incorporate lifting weights into your program and track your calories on this site. Eat your allotted calories each day and you should see a difference in your body. It will take awhile and you may not see the difference in the scale for awhile.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi; I've been in your position. I'm 58 years old, 4'11", and have 40+ pounds to lose. For years, I've been trying different diets, been to a nutritionist, everything I could think of. I would lose a few pounds then just stop. I am now doing the Petite Advantage Diet, by Jim Karas, who is a personal trainer, and has worked with many shorter women. In about 6 weeks, I have lost 10 pounds, and I know I've lost several inches; just haven't measured yet. The difference here is that I am eating 1100 calories, with every third day higher to cycle calories. You can eat a lot of food for 1100 calories, if you choose carefully. I am eating enormous breakfasts, filled with fruit, eggs, almond butter, whole wheat toast, etc. I am also doing strength training every other day with suspension straps, which is what is recommended in the book. I think that the strength training is what is making the difference this time. If you are interested, please check out the book; there is a lot of background on why shorter women need fewer calories and why this will not result in starvation mode if you are also doing the exercise program.

Good luck to you.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Without all the bickering...

To get your metabolism working at its full potential you need to do things to speed it up. Exercise will do it, especially weight training as it will help build your muscles. The more muscle you have the more energy (calories) your body requires to function.

Eat plenty of food. Try eating healthy fats found in nuts, cottage cheese, olive oil, peanut butter, avacados (plenty more).

Not a proven science but I always start what ever I do with a drink of water. I may get shot down now but I have found that water helps clear me out, and enables me to loose weight. Something to do with the lynphatic system I went to a seminar about. If I'm not drinking enough water then I my body is not working at loosing weight it is trying to nutralise the build up of acid in my lyphatic system.

So water
    Exercise
    Eat enough calories
    Healthy Fats.

Also try and eat as cleanly as possible, just a general weight loss tip. If it doesn't come straight from the ground or sea its been mollested and has loads of toxic chemicals in which again your body struggles to get rid of slowing your weightloss down.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I should maybe breakdown what I mean by that ---- and thanks for getting all butt-hurt about it fellas, chill out.

My personal experience, with my clients, is that those who are the most successful find a way to get something more subtantial than coffee in the morning. Oftentimes it's some instant oatmeal, or a scrambled egg.

I try to describe "ramping up" your metabolism like building a fire. If you keep it fueled with clean foods at predictable times, the fire will burn strong and long.

Breakfast is NOT the be all, end all of nutrition. But I do find that my people are more successful with their weight losses when they are able to squeeze in something.

You're right. I used to skip breakfast, coffee was my breakfast until recently. I find if I eat something in the morning I'm not as hungry until my next meal and I can eat a small lunch afterwards.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to MFP and am really discouraged and looking for any input/advice.

I'm 42 and about 4 yrs ago I lost 20 lbs (170 to 150) and have kept it off with no dieting or excercise, only fluctuating 3lbs, up or down. I decied in March to lose the next 25 that I need to be at a good weight for my height (about 5' but built thick/curvy). I did the Advocare 24 day challenge and ate perfectly while following their advised menu. I had no sugar, processed food, no eating out - nothing. I went from 153 to 150. I was so disappointed because I wast eating so healthy but saw no change, no inches, nothing.

I started back last week walking/jogging and tracking my calories (Thurs/Fri that I've logged is basically what I would eat normally). I'm seeing that I'm barely eating 1100 calories and to eat more, I'm going to have to eat on purpose for calorie sake and not because I'm hungry. I have one cup of coffee in the morning, but that's it. Other than that, it's water constantly - always. (and yes, yesterday was a really sucky day.)

I'm so discouraged. It seems no matter how good or how bad I eat, my weight literally NEVER changes...and that would be cool - if I was at my goal weight of 125.

I plan to start Jillian's 30 Day Shred tomorrow to see if I can at least shed some inches.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Hi. You do get to a point where your weight plateaus. Here is an article from about.com:

Almost everyone reaches a weight loss plateau at some point in their fitness lives. The reason is that the human body works hard to keep energy intake and output in balance. In other words, your body does not like to lose weight (not a revelation, huh?). After your initial weight loss, your progress will slow down and eventually stop even though your exercise and food intake is consistent. The bottom line is that the very efforts you make to burn more calories may eventually slow it down.
    Problem 1. Lowering your calories too much
    Fact: It takes calories to burn calories. When you decrease your food intake, your body simply lowers its metabolic rate in response. This still allows the body to function properly, but ultimately your body requires fewer calories which creates hunger and prevents you from losing fat.

Solution:
    Keep your calories slightly below your maintenance calories so that your energy and metabolism remain high. A deficit greater than 500-700 calories makes it much more difficult to maintain your lean body mass. To determine your approximate daily caloric needs, use this formula:

Men
    kg (body weight) x 24 = kcal/day
    Women
    kg (body weight) x 23 = kcal/day

note: kg = pounds divided by 2.2 (i.e.: 180 lbs / 2.2 = 81.8 kg)

You can also calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate to determine how many calories you need to function, and then use a calorie calculator to add in calories you burn through out the day and with exercise.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and started out weighing the same (170 a year ago) and I down to about 144 with a goal of 130. Congrats on taking the steps to a healthier you and being accountable for what you eat. I know you will get more responses than you already have a variety of opinions as well.... You drink lots of water, it is recommended to drink half your weight in ounces of water daily (other liquids don't count in this total). I think you should have a better breakfast, even a piece of cheese, fruit, toast etc is better than nothing. You should also be eating more, my BMR is between 1383-1643, based on exercising 3-5 times a week. I eat within that range most days, some are less and some are more. Getting your BMR calculated is a great place to start, don't just go by the MFP suggestion, as it sets it at 1200 for so many people. Are you tracking things like fiber and sodium? Do you get enough protein daily? Do you try and keep your sodium lower? I have no idea what the Advocare challenge is, but it doesn't seem like it really made a difference for you, although at your weight and age, 3 pounds in 3 weeks is about average.
    it doesn't sound like you are currently exercising, so that will make a huge difference for you. The 30 day shred is great, I am just starting level 3, you will lose inches. I suggest cardio along with some strength training to really help with weight loss. Good luck, you can do it! I am losing weight slowly, but I also allow myself treats and eating out, this is a journey to last a lifetime!
    Hi. I'm new to MFP and am really discouraged and looking for any input/advice.

I'm 42 and about 4 yrs ago I lost 20 lbs (170 to 150) and have kept it off with no dieting or excercise, only fluctuating 3lbs, up or down. I decied in March to lose the next 25 that I need to be at a good weight for my height (about 5' but built thick/curvy). I did the Advocare 24 day challenge and ate perfectly while following their advised menu. I had no sugar, processed food, no eating out - nothing. I went from 153 to 150. I was so disappointed because I wast eating so healthy but saw no change, no inches, nothing.

I started back last week walking/jogging and tracking my calories (Thurs/Fri that I've logged is basically what I would eat normally). I'm seeing that I'm barely eating 1100 calories and to eat more, I'm going to have to eat on purpose for calorie sake and not because I'm hungry. I have one cup of coffee in the morning, but that's it. Other than that, it's water constantly - always. (and yes, yesterday was a really sucky day.)

I'm so discouraged. It seems no matter how good or how bad I eat, my weight literally NEVER changes...and that would be cool - if I was at my goal weight of 125.

I plan to start Jillian's 30 Day Shred tomorrow to see if I can at least shed some inches.

Any advice?

Thanks.
  • peuglow
    Options
    Thank you, and that's good to hear. Don't let the negativity on here get to you, some of these people are just keyboard bullies and won't listen to anything that doesn't fit into their idea of what is right. Keep trucking, keep tracking what you eat, and it will come off.

You're right. I used to skip breakfast, coffee was my breakfast until recently. I find if I eat something in the morning I'm not as hungry until my next meal and I can eat a small lunch afterwards.
  • amccall69
    amccall69 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm going to go back through each of these responses (thanks for taking the time - I really appreciate it!!).

I'm not sure where it even started out that I only have coffee for breakfast...because I always eat breakfast with some kind of protein and carb involved. I usually have one cup of coffee with one Sweet n Low on my drive in to work....after that I drink water, tons of water and that's it....Ever.

I started 30Day Shred today....we'll see where this goes...

Now back to reading each response.

Thanks again!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    some of these people are just keyboard bullies and won't listen to anything that doesn't fit into their idea of what is right.

The irony is too much, I can't stand it.
  • peuglow
    Options
    You clearly didn't read my post.
  • timetogetskinny1
    Options

Quick question, Is coffee with a scoop of protein powder considered a meal? I am new to this and have been doing that for the last two months and counting it as breakfast.
  • peuglow
    Options
    Sure. I'd say it depends on what kind of supplement you are using. Not all protein powders/MRPs are the same. Some have much better types/sources of protein than others.

Track your food and progress, and make adjustments from there.