bump
  • Shyloh07
    Shyloh07 Posts: 18
    Options
    bump
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Alot of interesting information from regular people...I asked my doctor and my old boxing trainer and their advice was so similar I had to share. It goes like this. Eat sensibly and get off your *kitten*...no calorie counting no equations no fluff just good ol fashion building of good healthy habbits for a healthy lifestyle.

It doesn't work that way for some people. Before when I tried to lose weight, I just told myself I'd eat healthier and go to the gym. And guess what? I failed everytime. Because I'd not eat in moderation, I'd eat too large a portion, and I'd berate myself for eating something unhealthy, then give in and eat a whole trifle.

Now I'm calorie counting, I've lost 13.5lbs and counting. I eat what I want, but I make healthier choices for practicality. Sure, I can waste calories on Mcdonalds, but I'll be hungry later and not have much calories to eat with. So I naturally make better choices. And I go to the gym because it makes me feel good and I have confidence and more energy now.

So, no, the 'simple' advice of get off your *kitten* and eat sensibly didn't work for me. Calorie counting works. If it's too much hassle for some, fair enough, but it works for me.

I have to agree with this too, just eating sensibly is kind of a misnomer...... So many people will think, "I'll get the salad" because it's healthier right? Not realizing that that salad in a restaurant could be up to 1400 calories!!! Until you start really logging calories, and actively making choices based on reality and not perceived "healthy" options you just dont realize that you are not making the healthy choices you thought you were. Once you log them and research them, now you are armed with the knowledge and tools to make better decisions.

This is a journey of educating myself, learning how my body functions best and how best to support this function long term. It may be different for other people, but first I think you need to educate yourself.

100% agree :flowerforyou:
  • Islandfine
    Islandfine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information-I am new to this and have been struggling with foods/calories/getting the weight down.:smile:
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    bump
  • purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A quick update. I've been maintaining my weightloss so far since I upped my cals then I weighed myself this morning to find I was down 8 pound. Usually losing weight like that makes me think water only and it won't last but I've lost this by sustained eating higher cals and higher protein. I've lost this for different reasons.

So i didn't put on weight by upping my cals :)
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I want you to do TWO things if you are scared to increase your calories from your media indoctrinated 1200 calorie mentality.

1) Do an informal survey here. Go and read all of the topics where the subject is "my weight loss stalled", "worked 4 weeks haven't lost a pound", etc. and you will notice two things:

a. Their NET calorie goal will be under their BMR
    b. They are working out 6-7 days a week.

2) Join the group: Eat More, Weigh Less and read the stickies.

You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Its not that hard. Go to fat2fitradio.com:
    1) Run the Military Body Fat calculator
    2) Run the goal weight calculator using the BF% from above
    3) Run the BMR Calculator and eat at the proper TDEE for your GOAL weight and activity level.
    4) Lift something heavy 3 days a week and walk five days a week.

You will have more energy, you will exercise harder, and you will NOT be hungry. You will keep the weight off once you start losing! Come on folks. Give it a try!

EDIT TO ADD:
    Important point. If you follow the advice above DO NOT eat back your exercise calories. They are already included in your TDEE calculation in step 3.

Have any women of similar stats to me had success with this method??

Height: 5'10 (70 inches)
    Weight: 156lbs
    Goal: 144lbs

I love the sound of this, and it does make sense to me.... but I am somehow still skeptical. Having said that, I've cut calories and been excercising hard 6 days a week for 3 weeks and been losing and gaining the same 3lbs over and over, so what I'm doing obviously isn't working, although I do feel better in myself.

I have a girls beach holiday in 3 weeks time so although I know this is something I need to do for life, I really need to make progress in the next 3 weeks to give me some bikini confidence!
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    *reading later*
    I have no problem with this but my question is do you have to lift weights 3x a week? Would you still receive the same benefits just by regular cardio? Just wondering.... I have no problems lifting weights either but just wondered since the way it was typed it seemed that weights are mandatory. Maybe I just read it wrong.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    <---- been eating 1700-2100 cals a day for the last few months, I lift heavy and just started incorporating HIIT
    Check out The New Rules of Lifting for Women or the original book
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    *reading later*
    I have no problem with this but my question is do you have to lift weights 3x a week? Would you still receive the same benefits just by regular cardio? Just wondering.... I have no problems lifting weights either but just wondered since the way it was typed it seemed that weights are mandatory. Maybe I just read it wrong.

Weights help you maintain your muscle mass so your BMR falls more slowly than if you were just doing cardio. You can still lose weight using this method without weights, but as with any calorie restrictive diet you will lose at least a small amount of you lean mass along with fat in this case.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    A quick update. I've been maintaining my weightloss so far since I upped my cals then I weighed myself this morning to find I was down 8 pound. Usually losing weight like that makes me think water only and it won't last but I've lost this by sustained eating higher cals and higher protein. I've lost this for different reasons.

So i didn't put on weight by upping my cals :)

Wow!! Excellent Purplep!!! I'm hoping for the same results. :)
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    well I uppped my calories as of this week. I have eaten korean bbq, a personal pan pizza and burger king this week. It's been a bad week LOL. But if I eat out one meal, I make sure to eat really light for lunch/dinner and snacks to try to even it out.
    anywho, I started the week at 145.2. this morning I'm 143.6. I eat anywhere between 1700-2100 calories a day
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Found this and am going to give it a try....
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna give this a try after not seeing much of a result on the 1200/day plan. I recently quit eating meat and have to be careful to get enough protein. Lost a couple of pounds and I feel tired a lot, so probably need to eat more. (Been sluggish enough to not feel like exercising......boooo). Like Watters87, I now lose a pound, gain a pound.....no real progress.

All the posts with helpful tips are much appreciated!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well it worked for me in many ways. I upped last week to 1600 and have been eating between that and 1800. Sunday was a free day bc of Mothers Day and I went over pretty well. Still do 1 low carb day a week which I was at 1200. I've lost 1.5 lbs since in the last 10 days and feel so much more energy. I'm upping it again to maintence level.