Funny about swimming in the ocean

Options

Replies

• JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where you are. In Norway, if you are a competent swimmer, swimming alone (while a rare happening) is NOT considered dangerous. We don't have underwater streams and the like, though. And you're expected to know how to carry yourself.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your abilities and how well you know the water where you plan on swimming. When I lived in hawaii they always said don't go in the water if you don't see locals in the water (with the exception of the uber tourist places) and thats because they know the waters well enough to know where/ when its safe. So I mean... if you know the tide patterns and can read the waves... sure why not... but if you can't... maybe not
  • Bevigal
    Bevigal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It is much wiser to never swim alone, however it is a persons choice. Some of us like living on the edge. I spent some time diving when I was younger and If most people knew what was swimming underneath them they would totally freak out. I have been up close and personal with a shark and I was lucky .....it was a 10 footer. I totally learned to respect the ocean and its mysterious creatures of the deep. You know sharks have dead eyes.....cold and uncaring...it does not matter who you are or whether or not you are spiritual with the ocean.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I believe I often going swimming alone (in the ocean and pools). Simply because I was raised a competitive swimmer.

Also, as for the ocean most of my friends are either too chicken, too concerned with their hair, or simply don't like the cold to take a dip with me. Then again I'm thinking more of vacation swimming simply because the only time I am at a beach is for vacation.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I only swim in the ocean alone if I know the area well. Twice I have been caught in riptides and had to swim to the point of almost total exhaustion. Managed to get out both times, but it was kind of scary, especially when the lifeguards don't seem to notice that you have been swimming frantically in place for half an hour!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Well if you are in the Philippines, you might think more than twice before you plunge into the sea alone with many fishermen catching fish using firecrackers. Also not to mention the high/low tide & the monsoon.

EDIT: I'm not trying to scare anyone here but that is the trend in most of the coastal areas here. But I love the ocean with all the coconut trees surrounding it & even though I can do freestyle laps but I don't think I can swim into the ocean.
  • Gatominx
    Gatominx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hmm I never think about sharks or other critters, but if you went into cardiac arrest or something alone, not good.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    going to show this thread to my sun who is a fantastic swimmer but has no ocean experience and a complete sense of false security. thanks for bringing up the issue.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I dont swim, never learned.. But even if I knew, I wouldnt do it. You never know what could happen.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I swim and wade fish up to my shoulders with a bucket of bait fish strapped to me in the gulf of mexico in SW. FL. ( no riptides) all the time by myself when the water is clear and the visability is good like in the pic. below, but if the water is cloudy from a bad storm etc. or in low light conditions I don't anymore.
    sanibel3.jpg
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm very comfortable snorkeling in the ocean alone even in heavy surf. I've done it many times in the past. My husband thinks I'm insane though.

I think it comes down to how comfortable you are in the water. I have extensive training in swimming and was a lifeguard for 3 years, so I'm very comfortable and have the training to handle myself if I end up in an emergency (riptide or similar).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was a lifeguard for several years, in any swimming environment, pool, Ocean, lake and rivers you should always have a "buddy" as with anything their is always a danger.

Riptides, undertoes, usually are the most dangerous parts of the ocean, and if youa re ever caught in one, Float...usually gets you out of a jam and not panicing.

Water is very unforgiven, I would say teh most dangerous is a River, getting your foot stuck in a foot of water could kill you in a river, the current will be strong enough to sweep you under and drown you, I know of a college football player who dies in 2 foot water, due to his foot getting stuck in some rocks, golden rule in a river when tubing, keep your feet up.

But as with any body of water, show it respect and you will be fine, I am a fish, I love the ocean grew up swimming the Jersey shore which is famous for it's riptides, I hadto save my wfe and my niece from them, i've seen people drown trying to fight them, you can't win fighting it.

Rule is, alaways hae a "buddy" and be smart about it, but if your like me and find the water at home and somewhat spiritual, it wouldn't be so bad as my final resting place.

We used to do dangerous stuff in the river. One of our friends drown because he was held down by the current with his feet twisted in the rope. We went out and tried to recreate it, and all of us were able to lift our torso up enough to untangle our feet, so we couldn't figure out what really happened under there. Sad.

I grew up on a river also, and we had the same thing happen several times sadly. 3 deaths just downstream from my house in less than 3 years from people swimming and getting sucked under by the undercurrents. I have to agree that rivers are more dangerous to swim in than most ocean shorelines as well.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I live on the gold coast in Australia and there is so so so many stories about people who know how to swim and surf etc and end up getting caught in a rip and drowning. There has also been a few deaths at competitions for things like surf life savers. If you go on your own be careful but your better off going with someone else if your going to swim deep and are unsure of the conditions. I go on my own to the beach but I dont go so far out that I cant touch the ground.

When I used to live in sydney my friends and I went swimming at a place called bents basin. We went all the time and jumped off the rock cliff into the water. There had been heaps of rain the few days before we went and there is a river/ stream that leads into the basin. These 3 guys were sitting on a rock near where the stream water was going into the basin and they were swimming and shouting like idiots and jumping off the rock into the water. My friends and I were swimming in the basin and one guy was shouting out something to us and waving to us we just thought they were being **** heads because they were shouting stuff at people all day and we were too far away to swim to them or hear what he was saying so we just ignored him and kept swimming.

We went home and 2 hours later a news report comes on the tv that a drowning had happened at bents basin at the time we were there. It tuned out that while we were swimming in the basin the guy calling out to us was actually calling for help and his 2 friends were drowning while we were swimming. 2 guys died that day it was pretty hectic. Even if we did try help theres nothing we could have done the rapids were strong going into the basin and its really deep
  • Keenasgettingfitnhealthy
    Options
    I'm with the original poster. I Love being alone in the ocean. So peaceful and relaxing. I find if I'm with others I don't enjoy the actual surroundings and I don't "take it all in". I Have a great time with others there but its more my place to zone out and be one with the world.

Though this could be because I was always brought up at the beach or at the pool or a lake - I'm such a water baby =D Should have been a mermaid!! =D
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the area. I swim alone frequently and it never bothers me.
  • CrueChix
    CrueChix Posts: 47
    Options
    I grew up in SoCal too, and I was just always taught that you shouldn't swim alone period. Whether it's the ocean, lake, or even a swimming pool. You just never know what can happen, and when you may need some assistance. :flowerforyou:
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    I love to be at the beach and I love to watch the ocean but I am terrified to be in it! lol Also the salt water burns my eyes to the point of not being able to see, so no swimming in the ocean for me :( But my hubby would.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is all really interesting. Thanks for the feedback. So, I guess I'm a little crazy. I just don't feel like it's at all dangerous or ominous or even remotely surprising. I've been in riptides, but I swim out of them. I've had my leash snap off my board in 12 foot surf and had to swim back to shore in extreme rip tide currents. You just have ot know how to do it, and not panic. I never panic. I just calm down, count to ten, and think about what to do next, and then do it. Trust me, I've been in the *kitten*. I probably should have drowned a few times. But, I just don't panic, even when I'm held down so long that I feel like taking that underwater breath inwards. But, I don't, I hold it 10 or 20 seconds longer, and get to the top, calmly, but forcefully. Maybe I've bene lucky. Or, maybe it's all that training. Don't know. Most surfers I know have had very close calls. But, at that point, it's you and the ocean. Having a buddy there doesn't help in that moment of terror. Just sayin'.

For those that haven't been caught in 12 foot surf, in the zone, where the waves just keep punding you set after set after set, and you can't catch your breath and and another set comes and pounds you again, and you want to cry....if you don't know what that's like, it's really a tough situation. It's absolultey unrelenting. And, it doesn't stop. You literally get so tired that you just want to give up. But, surprisingly, you can get out of it.
  • ashmarie484
    ashmarie484 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I dont think youre crazy, I grew up near the beach and went swimming alone ALL the time. Id do it everyday if I could.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not, you should never go swimming in the ocean alone. I live in Australia and it's common sense over here to NEVER go to the ocean alone, especially due to the high risk of drowning incidents where foreigners think they are in control of the ocean. It's all well and good to be strong and athletic, but even they are at risk of drowning if leg cramping sets in.

Swimming alone is what a pool is for, not the ocean. It's just not safe to swim alone in the ocean.

There are scarier things in the Australian part of the ocean than the American part, though. I wouldn't go in the ocean at all in Australia! lol

I have never had occasion to swim alone in the ocean, but I wouldn't not do it. Usually the beach is not deserted, anyway, so there's SOMEONE there no matter what. I know what to do in a rip current or undertow and I have never gotten a cramp while swimming and I've been swimming pretty much my entire life.