Best breakfast to fend off hunger?

Mcctin65
Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
Hey fellow MFP'ers,

I'm testing various breakfasts to see what keeps me from starving the longest. What holds you intact without racking up too many calories?

If I get ravenous (as I usually do) then I'll eat almost anything... small dogs, children. (just kidding! don't freak!)

I'm also testing out intermittent fasting. Once a week is my goal at this point and only from breakfast to breakfast or dinner to dinner. I find once I get past the really hungry stage (which is really shorter than I expected) I can hold out fairly well. I'm only doing this to see if I can control my hunger. Not doing it necessarily for weight loss or for spiritual reasons.

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Hi
    I try and eat a few things. an apple and banana if I have one. Then a little later some oatmeal with some more fruit. I fill up on tea or coffee and drink lots of water before and after.
    Sometimes I have a couple hard boiled eggs on wheat toast with some salsa. Delicous.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    I typically eat an egg white omelet with some turkey meat and tomatos, small amount of cheese. Keeps me pretty full until lunchtime. Anything high in protein should stave off the hunger pains.

Good luck in your jouney! I think if I tried to fast for 24 hours I would be tempted to eat just about anything! :embarassed:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I'm also testing out intermittent fasting. Once a week is my goal at this point and only from breakfast to breakfast or dinner to dinner. I find once I get past the really hungry stage (which is really shorter than I expected) I can hold out fairly well. I'm only doing this to see if I can control my hunger. Not doing it necessarily for weight loss or for spiritual reasons.

Thanks for your input!

If you're going to test IF, I would speculate that you're best off taking an all-or-nothing approach for a short trial run rather than doing a once-per-week method.

I don't know specific details about ghrelin so hopefully someone who DOES will confirm this: Since ghrelin (a hormone that is partially responsible for sending hunger signals) is adaptable to behavior, taking a consistent approach to your feed schedule should give you adaptation much faster.

In short, adopting the same feed window for a few weeks should cause your body to expect to feed at those times once ghrelin adapts to your schedule.

Doing it one day per week (I am speculating, again) is probably not going to give you this adaptation and it's going to make the fasting portion a lot more difficult than it would be if you were to give it a more consistent approach.

If you try it for a few weeks and still don't like it, discard the idea.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 320 Member
    toast some whole wheat bread
    smear some peanut butter or nutella on toast
    slice banana (1 banana usually does 2 slices of toast)
    put slices on peanut butter
    drizzle a tiny bit of honey over banana

Enjoy

I eat this a lot in the winter and it carries me thru and past lunch most of the time
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I have to combine protein with carbs in order to stay full. I would be ravenous quickly thereafter if I just ate eggs. This morning I had multigrain toast (homemade) slathered with fresh ricotta cheese. I also love a piece of toast with peanut butter and banana.
  • rose_ruby
    rose_ruby Posts: 37 Member
    porridge with skimmed, 10g of chia seeds and a chopped banana. i do this most days to get a morning energy boost and keeps me full till lunch.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Hands down a whole hard boiled egg. Just one keeps me so satisfied I often forget to eat my mid-morning snack.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    I usually eat a breakfast sandwich- a whole wheat English muffin, fried egg, and a slice of cheese. I feel full until lunch.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    steel cut oatmeal
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    I typically eat an egg white omelet with some turkey meat and tomatos, small amount of cheese. Keeps me pretty full until lunchtime. Anything high in protein should stave off the hunger pains.

This for me too. Protein instead of carbs keeps the hunger away for me.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    I have just started to incorporate a high protein breakfast as opposed to high carb/fibre breakfast.

My new breakfast consists of eggs in various forms (scrambled, poached, boiled), salmon or mackeral and a piece of wholegrain toast. I may omit the toast and have 20g of high fibre cereal instead. Another option is baked beans on wholemeal (apparently, most delicious with PB spread on the toast before putting the beans on...but haven't tried that yet!).

Yet to try the greek yoghurt/fruit/nuts/or homemade cereal options but this is only my second week at trying it out.

So far, I have found that I do not think about food again until my tummy starts to rumble at lunch time - whereas on my previous breakfast options, I would be looking for something to eat around mid morning. Calorie wise, high fibre and snack or high protein no snack - adds up to about the same calories BUT with reducing my carb intake and upping my protein at breakfast, I am at last hitting my macros - for the first time ever.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Oatmeal made with milk, sid of eggs (1 whole + 3 whites) and coffee. Good mix of protein and carbs to keep me full until lunch.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    oatmeal for me that can last me almost all day and i drink a lot of water
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Well, today I had a grilled chicken breast and eggs (the eggs were scrambled with hot sauce, cayenne pepper, and chopped fresh spinach). Sans toast, cereal, or any other carb-y delight. Not that I always go sans carbs. I just didn't feel the carbs today.
  • this14now
    this14now Posts: 30 Member
    Easy!!!! Almost every morning I have hard boiled egg whites with tobasco and turkey sausage mmmmmmm delicious and the protien really keeps the hunger at bay!
  • KarenPostmus
    KarenPostmus Posts: 28 Member
    steel cut oatmeal

I agree, this lasts for a long time and has such a nice balance of nutrition :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Foods high in fiber tend to help curb hunger. Oatmeal is a hunger killer, IMO.
  • Mcctin65
    Thanks everyone!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Hello,
    A simple guidline is fibre and protein. You've had a lot of good suggestions already about whole oatmeal, red river cereal, eggs, egg whites. I like to put some coconut oil in a pan, toss in some spinach, an egg and half a cup of egg whites. Put that on a piece of whilewheat bread. Avoid simple sugary carbs and white bread.I also like to put peanut butter in my oatmeal :-)

...and fasting is never a good idea for your health. It's just anorexia in disguise and will lower your metabolism and create a bad relationship with food.

Good luck
  • Mcctin65

Thanks for your input!

If you're going to test IF, I would speculate that you're best off taking an all-or-nothing approach for a short trial run rather than doing a once-per-week method.

I don't know specific details about ghrelin so hopefully someone who DOES will confirm this: Since ghrelin (a hormone that is partially responsible for sending hunger signals) is adaptable to behavior, taking a consistent approach to your feed schedule should give you adaptation much faster.

In short, adopting the same feed window for a few weeks should cause your body to expect to feed at those times once ghrelin adapts to your schedule.

Doing it one day per week (I am speculating, again) is probably not going to give you this adaptation and it's going to make the fasting portion a lot more difficult than it would be if you were to give it a more consistent approach.

If you try it for a few weeks and still don't like it, discard the idea.
    Can you give me more info? Do you mean do it every day for a new weeks? Only eat once a day? Sorry, but I'm brand new to this idea so bear with me. For how many hours?