Any Wonen Motorcyle rider out here

Options

Replies

• Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well hello there................I ride:bigsmile: I have a 97 Honda Shadow ACE 1100.......................it's my baby:heart: You can all add me if you'd like:bigsmile:
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    I have a Honda Shadow Aero, and have had my license for about 6 years. That said, riding my own makes me almost panic-level nervous, so I much prefer to be on the back of my hubby's bike. Hubby has been riding my bike during the colder months (its tires handle cold better than his Harley's tires do), and even he admitted that on turns, my bike is wobbly and scary. He had the tires changed last month during maintenance, and reports that the bike is MUCH better now. I haven't had the mental/emotional energy to get back on it, though. :(

I think all of the fear stems from the first motorcycle class that I took - the instructors scared me to pieces, and I ended up quitting the class on the last day. A few years went by and I took another class - that one was much better and I passed with flying colors...but unfortunately, the psychological damage was already done. Sigh. I'm hoping this summer I'll give those new tires a try and find that I really do enjoy riding my own after all. :)

Just take your time and do a lot of parking lot practice. go to the mall when it is closed (or school, whatever has a big lot). set up some cones or markers and practice. then do short little trips on side roads. slowly build your confidence back up. new tires do make a difference, your ride will probably be much better. just don't hurry for anyone and don't go in traffic until you feel you can.
  • juan1two
    juan1two Posts: 2
    Options
    I ride a Honda CBR 600 and own a Vulcan 750, although the Vulcan isn't running right now. I just returned from a trip to Mobile, AL and plan to take a trip to Gatlinburg, TN in two weeks to ride the Tail of the Dragon.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    me! i ride a royal enfield g5- LOVE It, i just started a month ago :)530576_10150647851863227_503088226_9495983_27766410_n.jpg
  • ShadowriderNH
    Options
    Seeing the usa on the bike...Now that is a trip that would be so much fun.

Nice replies ladies.. I only have one lady friend that rides and she lives a few hours away from me.

My good friend and neighbor took the class got her licence but needs practice....Her hubby pushed her to do it but she really does not...she is afraid of the clutch. I keep telling her I will ride along with her to practice. Less pressure from the hubby but no go yet.

I love riding...I am still green under the thumb and sometimes it makes hubby mad when I drive slower.....But I am getting there.

I just wish the weather was better. We try to take the bikes on the nice days to the gym but sometimes if we take to long then we are forced to ride at night....Not a big fan of it but getting better....Plus the other night someone hit a moose and it was in the middle of the road. Still alive but we had to drive between him and the bumper that fell off the car. Scared the crap out of me...I had this feeling my bike was going to freak him out....Got passed him ok.

I hope the weather gets better this weekend so we can go for another ride.

Vjrose.....I think it is a bike....I see lots of those around, you are out in the open air and that is a bike if you ask me.

Next month is bike week here in NH...Will be my first time attending on a bike....I am excited about that and then our trip next month...It is going to be so much fun. I hope my butt can handle the trip....LOL.

Another great reason why I am trying to loose weight. I am under the weight limit of my bike but I want a nice new leather for the bike and will not buy one till I get my goal weight....I want to be the sexiest biker chick out there. LOL.
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    Im going thru the driving course the end of june. Any pointers lol. Im 53 years old and Im going to let my hair down. Im nerveous of course but Im hoping the course will help with that. MY son just gave me a Yamaha burnt orange nice bike so Im going to give it a shot. He is taking out this weekend to practice. I think the clutch is going to be my downfall.

You will be fine. I learned at 55. My first mistake was not to go ahead and get a practice bike while I was taking the class. Find a nice big empty parking lot (like a school on the weekends) and just practice your butt off. The biggest issue is just getting used to where everything is (clutch, brake, throttle). Just take your time and make sure you wear protective clothing and a helmet while you practice.

Oh, and don't forget - alway look where you are GOING not where you are. It will help tremendously in turns.

Yes remember the head (with a safety lid on) is heavy and the bike will go where you look. If you look down you'll over balance....

Also your hand position on the throttle and brakes are important. Keep the flat of your hand level with the levers, you only then need to squeeze the controls not drop your wrist. Keep relaxed and breathe!! Sit forward on the seat and keep poised... If the bike feels like its running away with you pull the clutch back to position 1.. Dont worry if it makes a lot of noise...

search, predict, identify.execute. basically, keep aware of all your surroundings, and what others are doing, that way you are aware and leave yourself room in case you have to quickly change course. I have been riding my whole life since I was 5, of course with dirt bikes, but I have been riding the road since I was 25 and love it! You will too! practice and patience!
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Been riding with Hubby for about 28 years now, had lots of bikes over the years but he kept the 97 Fatboy with the custom pearl white and burgundy paint job. Love it, he tried to teach me to ride about 25 years ago, I was like 21 and almost ran into a wall and since then he won't let me get my license. I mean come on, I was young and that was a looooong time ago.

Would love to ride on my own, my sister in law rides, my other sister in law was killed in 2009 in a motorcycle accident and then her husband, my brother in law was in an accident a year later and lost his leg. Very sad but at the same time, i love still motorcycles! :glasses:
  • yamagirl19
    yamagirl19 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi All

I ride. Been riding for a while now. Own an FZ6 yamaha super sport tour (2nd bike). Own a dirt bike as well. TTR 230 yamaha as I also love riding in the dirt.

Riding is my passion and enjoy it. I travel down to Tennessee every year and ride through the smokies. Also been to deals gap or the dragons tail. Going again in August.

Add me if you wanna chat....... Gots lots to chat about when motorcycles are involved.
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a few CC's short of what you all are riding, but I've been riding my Vespa 170 cop bike for 16 years. Never really felt the need for anything bigger. If I could figure out how to include a picture, I would!
  • tabngillysmom
    tabngillysmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first bike a couple of weeks ago! I have ridden for more than 20 years on the back and guess I am having a mid life crisis and wanted my own. I ride a 2012 BMW F650GS. My husband has a 1997 BMW R850R and we love to ride.

I am with several of you on the fact that I am really nervous about riding on my own. I kicked butt at the MSF safety class two weekends ago on the little Yamaha 250, but the bigger bike does make me nervous. Just now really getting a feel for it and haven't ridden anywhere but parking lots and little side roads with very little traffic.

I look forward to getting in some riding time really soon! Feel free to add me!

Melissa

14154011.png
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For those who have lost their bottle or have been pushed a bit too quickly, seek out the advice of a sympathetic instructor that you gel with to get over confidence issues...

I would suggest finding a large off road area to start with (if you are lucky enough to be near one) then start gently. Find a quiet 2 mile block and ride it. Next time do it twice.

Riding on your own can be sublime, you and the bike becaome almost symbiotic, like a horse and rider (although my bike has brakes)

I hate seeing students here lose their nerve because somethings happened either caused by another driver or by a bend coming up too quickly...

I imagine most of you are in the US, but here in the UK I would recommend doing a BikeSafe course run by the local plod (just out in bikesafe under google) 2 days observed riding. They're not instructors but will offer an assessed ride and give a report which you can take to your advanced instructor with areas to work on such as attitide, system planning, defensive riding etc. In the UK passing a bike test is really hard now, if you've achieved it recently then hats off to you, keep it up

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    melanie- you are from NH?! cool, i grew up in vermont right on the NH border near dartmouth/hanover...

my mom used to ride her own bike, but now just rides on the back of her husbands. short riding season back east with lots of variable weather to plan for! i got lucky by getting my motorcycle down in san diego... were it rains very little and is more than predictable :)

-kell
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am not a street rider, but I am a dirt bike rider! :)
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    I just bought my first bike a couple of weeks ago! I have ridden for more than 20 years on the back and guess I am having a mid life crisis and wanted my own. I ride a 2012 BMW F650GS. My husband has a 1997 BMW R850R and we love to ride.

I am with several of you on the fact that I am really nervous about riding on my own. I kicked butt at the MSF safety class two weekends ago on the little Yamaha 250, but the bigger bike does make me nervous. Just now really getting a feel for it and haven't ridden anywhere but parking lots and little side roads with very little traffic.

Melissa

14154011.png

I have a friend who has a 30th anniversary 650GS, she loves it, but has to be careful where she parks it as the stand is so long, she cant get off it!!! She does the BMW off road school in Wales and has ridden in Morocco in sand dunes and all sorts....
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Can say yes to that due to getting my licence a month ago and my bike just over 2 weeks ago! Very very cool. It is such freedom getting out on the road. I'm gonna explore Australia a truly enjoyable way! Got myself a Yamaha Virago 250. She's an oldie but a goodie so far. Starting out real small to get used to riding b4 upping the power with a bigger bike. That will come with time! Hubby has a naked road rider thats bigger as well as newer, so that is a fun beast to ride also!

cheers
    Lou.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I drive a motorized scooter if that counts.
    =]
  • silby8919
    silby8919 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Been riding since I was 5 years old. My first motorcycle was a Honda 50-J. I was too short & my feet didn't even touch the ground. My cousins had to ride me around on it for the first couple of years!!

My current ride is a '95 Road King.

Happy trails to all!!!!
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Melissa

14154011.png

Hey Melissa, Firstly congrats on getting your licence, you sound as fresh as me! Got mine a month ago and had the yamaha 250 for 2 weeks! Gaining confidence will come with riding more frequently. Bike riding is a skill that can dimish quickly without use, so keep doing what you're doing with riding local firstly and take it steps at a time like night riding and riding in the rain. Your confidence will most certainly grow along with your love for riding! Cheers matey. Louisa (LooseWheel)
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi! I ride a '74 custom Harley Shovel. Been riding 22 years, currently on my 4th Harley. Loving looking hotter on it this season!
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    We should make this into a group!! :drinker: