Best breakfast to fend off hunger?

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Eggs and bacon
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    I found a recipe on here for overnight oatmeal (refrigerated) and it is delicious and very filling.

1/4 c. rolled oats (not quick oats) or steel cut oats
    1/4 c. plain greek yogurt
    1/3 c. unsweetened almond milk

Mix together put in fridge overnight and add your fruit of choice etc... in the morning. I put in 1/2 banana and 1/2 tbsp. of PB so good :happy:
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Confession: I didn't really read what anyone else responded with - I'm lazy like that.

I always try to eat oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. Or something else with protein.

Then usually around 10:30 or so I'll have a banana to tide me over til lunch time.
  • DandyFanny
    DandyFanny Posts: 5 Member
    I discovered Special K Protein Plus cereal sprinkled with craisons, that or an egg on a frozen waffle or scrambled eggs with toast. I found this pineapple mango chilpotle salsa at Walmart that's really tasty on just about everything most especially eggs. I also found planning meals the night before keeps me from frantically searching the kitchen but than plans are subject to change. So another alternative is a glass of carnation instant breakfast with a cereal bar.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    I typically eat an egg white omelet with some turkey meat and tomatos, small amount of cheese. Keeps me pretty full until lunchtime. Anything high in protein should stave off the hunger pains.

This for me too. Protein instead of carbs keeps the hunger away for me.

works for me as well.....
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Depends whether I've been lifting that morning or doing cardio. I have a protein shake/smoothie with added greek yoghurt and a banana after lifting or oatmeal with flax granola sprinkled on the top after cardio. Works for me. :)
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    I found a recipe on here for overnight oatmeal (refrigerated) and it is delicious and very filling.

Mix together put in fridge overnight and add your fruit of choice etc... in the morning. I put in 1/2 banana and 1/2 tbsp. of PB so good :happy:

Do you just eat it cold in the morning or do you heat it up? I have all the ingredients and would like to try it out! :) Thanks!
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    I typically eat an egg white omelet with some turkey meat and tomatos, small amount of cheese. Keeps me pretty full until lunchtime. Anything high in protein should stave off the hunger pains.

This for me too. Protein instead of carbs keeps the hunger away for me.

works for me as well.....I don't have the cheese though, and I add baby spinach to mine....and a half of thin bagel (whole wheat)....
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    When I eat something sweet first thing in the morning I find myself less hungry all day. Its usually a yogurt or a piece of sweet fruit like a banana, peach, mango. Also, starting my day with a tea does the trick and keeps me full.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Back in the day I could eat two or three huge bowls of oatmeal or very high-fiber cereal, and be hungry a few hours later. And fat.

Now, it's all about a good portion of protein, some bulk from fruit or vegetables, and a small bit of carbs - fruit smoothie with protein powder, or eggs and vegetable on a tortilla.
  • ArwenP
    ArwenP Posts: 53 Member
    I like Quaker low-sugar Brown Sugar and Cinnamon instant oatmeal and a cup or two of hot tea. It usually gets me to lunch ok. The low sugar variety is actually better for you than the "weight loss" variety...sneaky lables.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    1/2 cup whole grain oatmeal, 1 cup water. Cook on the stovetop for 3 minutes, add some fruit.
    I don't microwave the whole grain oats, as they boil over, so i use the stove. I usually use 5-6 frozen strawberries that I microwave, then mash with a potato masher. Then I'll add flax seed or some wheat germ. Also, ripe bananas are awesome in oatmeal. I mash up half of one and cook it with the oatmeal, then slice the other half into it when its done. It is sooo yummy. Add some cinnamon and walnuts and it seriously tastes like banana bread.
    If you're short on time, microwave the quick oats variety (NOT the little prepackaged packets!) for 1 minute 30 secs and add fresh fruit.
  • I always eat egg for breakfast in some form or another -
    Eggy bread - two slices of bread from a 400g loaf (the little loaves) which are about 60 kcal each, and one medium egg mixed with 10mls of semi skimmed milk. The egg makes the bread swell up so it's really filling and feels like a much bigger breakfast than it sounds. I dry fry it because I don't think you need oil if you've got egg, and I'm not really a big fan of greasy food anyway.
    Poached egg on toast - on small bread as above
    Scrambled egg on toast - again on small bread, made with no oil and only 10ml of milk
    I cover my egg in curry powder or tabasco sauce because I love spicy food, but also because spices help keep you feeling fuller for longer and can help burn off more calories due the slight increase in body temperature you get when eating them.

Just by the by - I don't think it's healthy to fast once a week. It doesn't help promote a good attitude to food or even your mental health. Hunger is not something you should learn to ignore, it's something you should learn to satisfy in a healthy way i.e. glass of water, some fruit or veg bits for a snack, and wholesome, low GI, balanced meals.

Good luck on your journey
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member

Do you just eat it cold in the morning or do you heat it up? I have all the ingredients and would like to try it out! :) Thanks!

Cold right out of the fridge. Don't heat it...I think the yogurt would go a little funky
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149

I put a teaspoon of chia seeds in it as well and it's even moer filling. Just had it this morning with a banana and a tad of agave.
  • Oats, and 1 whole egg and some egg whites. I did not do this today, I used a protein shake instead,and I have already had my snack and I am hungry ! I won't do that tomorrow. It really does keep you fuller longer
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    I have to eat protein instead of carbs I tried eating oatmeal for breakfast and it just made me hungry again before lunchtime. Hard boiled eggs with yolk made me feel fuller longer
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    ...and fasting is never a good idea for your health. It's just anorexia in disguise and will lower your metabolism and create a bad relationship with food.

Intermittent Fasting is not anorexia. You still eat your allotted calories per day/week, you just eat them in a scheduled window instead of grazing throughout the day.

Please read up on these things before you make blanket statements.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Definitely protein, with some whole-grain carbs added to the mix. Poached egg (or two) and a slice of wholegrain toast is my stand-by. In the summer, greek yoghurt, a little granola and some fresh fruit (berries/melon etc). At the weekends, oat-based pancakes, made with egg and milk, and maybe a slice of cheese. If I'm in a frantic rush, 20g of cheese and a slice of toast will do (or peanut butter on two slices in an absolute pinch!). In the dead of winter, small bowl of oatmeal, dried fuit, and a piece of cheese or slice of meat, or scrambled egg on toast.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    I just bought some of the Emerald Breakfast on the Go packs and they are really good and filling. I have been eating one of those and a banana with a cup of coffee and that usually holds me over until lunch.