My morning rant

Options
I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry

I was being heartless and rude and judgmental, exactly like the people I was talking about, everyone has their struggles and it is hard for everyone, I understand that. I was out of line for feeling the way I was and I let one person get the best of me. Thank you all for pointing out my wrong and letting me see the true reason behind this website. It is myFITNESSpal and I guess I should think of the fit people as motivation instead of the enemy. We are all trying to reach the same goal, once again I am sorry I offended anyone or stepped out of my boundaries.

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i don't think the website intentionally went "in the other direction" but you'll always have people who think they need to lose weight no matter what their size is.

judging from your profile picture, you didn't have a lot to lose and seems like you are pretty close to your goal. so that is awesome. there are others on here who started out much heavier who might say the same thing about any of us. i only had 25 lb to lose. so maybe i dont' belong on here either.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you shouldn't be so judgmental. A good portion of those "skinny" people were previously overweight or obese, and they got to where they are through hard work and determination. The rest are the minority, the vast minority.

MFP is a tool used for tracking what you eat and can also be used to create a weight loss plan. It is not exclusively for the overweight or the obese. If you are into fitness at all MFP can be a very valuable tool.

You should just focus on yourself and your goals. What everyone else is doing should be a very little concern to you.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    The bragging and the posting of "I'm so skinny just look at me but I still need to lose the last pesky 3lbs" is annoying. However, I just skip over them with an eye roll and look for the really motivational people.

I have body image issues and suffered through anorexia and bulemia in my 20s and 30s....and sometimes I need to just have a slap upside the head when I start whining about not fitting into size 2 pants anymore (at age 56).

Maybe this is what is going on with those people? Body dysmorphia could be the problem....they don't see the skinny person, they see a big fat cow...same as I do when I look in a mirror, even though logically I know it isn't so.

Perhaps a little sympathy is due, not criticism?
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    hey same could be said for you. I had 90 pounds to lose,you have 21. Omg you weighed 139 (you do see you could be seen as the person you are ranting against)How dare you be here!?! No where in the name of the site does it say MY WEIGHTLOSS PAL the word fitness can mean many things,and anyone who feels they need to be here can be. You being bothered by this is your issue,and one you should work on
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yeah, all you skinnies! Go away! We don't want you here!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You started at 139lbs? I'm refraining from going on exactly the same rant about you...
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    This site that I have now been a member of for going on 3 years is supposed to be for people that want to lose weight. Not skinny people posting pictures of how skinny they are and complaining about three pounds of skin they still need to lose. It really makes me lose motivation when someone's starting weight is 110pounds and they are half a foot taller than me. I understand being healthy and getting in shape and making a life change but clearly everyone has insecurities and weight it important to all people, but as someone that actually had more than six pounds to lose I find it disheartening that this website has gone in such an extreme other direction.We are supposed to be motivating each other, talking about our accomplishments is part of it, but bragging and fishing for compliments is not.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I'm just in a bad mood anyway.

Well the problem was your lack of understanding. This is not a website for people looking to lose large amounts of weight. It's for tracking calories. That is all. People can use this site to lose, maintain or gain. It's all about being healthy and that's what MFP provides.

Sorry that you've spent 3 years here without knowing the site's purpose. Sorrier still that you think you have some proprietary right to who belongs here and who doesn't.

If you're disheartened that you haven't lost all you wanted that is on you. Not any other member here.

You are letting your insecurities get the better of you. Fight them. You're here for you. No one else.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I thought I was in a bad mood today...

Then I read this thread, and people here seem cranky too!

I hate how some people whine about needing to lose a few more pounds when I have so far to go. But it's a part of the process! And those last few pounds are truly the hardest to lose.

So rather than jumping down the throat of someone ranting, perhaps we all deserve a little patience with each other.

This is a rant thread after all!:wink:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    if you look at my ticker i might appear to be one of those skinny people. but the reality is when i came on here in August of 2011 i needed to lose 25 lb. i was in the overweight range for my height. i lost the 25 lb. now i'm maintaining. there are probably a lot of people just like that. i try to keep in mind that there are some people with different goals... some want to tone up. some want to lose a lot of weight if they are in the obese category. just because that wasn't what i needed to do, that doesn't make their fitness plan any less real than mine and any less important. so yeah i'm sure it is annoying and i'm sure there is jealousy... but we all have different fitness goals. just try to ignore those that bother you... i know it's just a vent/rant so dont' want to take this too seriously... we all feel this way when we see others who don't seem to work as hard and just look great.
  • chiquitatwist
    chiquitatwist Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I use this site as a way to stay on track in regards to how many calories I'm consuming. I have been on a low residue diet for Crohn's Disease for over two months, and a lot of the foods that I can eat are full of carbs and whatnot. MFP helps me make sure that I am getting enough protein. Also, I just went back on prednisone, so keeping track of what I eat and how many calories I burn is important to me. It can be frustrating when people fish for compliments, but insecurity is insecurity regardless of size and shape. A nice word can go a long way.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This site that I have now been a member of for going on 3 years is supposed to be for people that want to lose weight.
    Really now, where did you get that? The site is for people who want to track their food and exercise. You don't get to decide who is worthy of being here. When you get down to your last few pounds are you going to delete your account?
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I thought this site was "Myfitnesspal.....

Not "myweightlosspal.....

By and By.....AWESOMENESS!!!! I can now enlighten everyone with a morning Carlton Dance.....:

carlton-dance-o.gif
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You're here for you. No one else.

:) be happy!!!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well this is the most unmotivating thing I've read today. Mind you and work on you...then these things, that shouldn't matter to you, won't effect you enough to post a pointless and somewhat rude rant. :flowersforyou:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    This site isn't just for people losing weight. It's called "My Fitness Pal" not "Lose Weight Now". Most people on here, yes, I agree come to lose weight, large amounts or small amounts. I came to lose the last 10 of 35 (which I'm sorry the first 25 were so much easier). But I have friends who are trying to get fit, some like to record their exercise and food to train for something, some even want to gain weight. I'm here now to maintain what I lost and get fit. I plan on being a member for life because to me it wasn't just a "I'll join until I lose the weight then I'll slack off and gain it all back" it was a lifestyle change. If I need MPF to maintain a way of life then so be it. Being judgemental about other peoples goals isn't healthy.
  • JBond3007
    JBond3007 Posts: 5
    Options
    You look like one of those skinny people you are talking about.haha
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I thought this site was "Myfitnesspal.....

Not "myweightlosspal.....

By and By.....AWESOMENESS!!!! I can now enlighten everyone with a morning Carlton Dance.....:

carlton-dance-o.gif

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone...
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Well as someone that needed to lose at least 135, the fact that you're disheartened because there are people that need to lose 6lbs to your 21, yeah, 21 isn't a **** compared to some of us. Spewing how YOU feel bad think how that makes the rest of us feel. Get off your horse, that saddles way too big for you, sugar.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You know, I really hate all these skinny people. I mean, really. Why would they even want to be skinny or in shape if not to just rub it in all our faces. It has nothing to do with them and is all about ME! They should just go crawl in a hole and die.

And since the OP weighs less than I do, she should, too. I think she posted this JUST because she knew I'd see it. Selfish, she is.
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    From reading your post, you are having a bad moment, try to be positive and excited about anyone despite their goal. Skinny does not mean healthy and a lot of us are on here to make a lifestyle change. Focus on your goals and I guarantee when you post your skinny pic, many will be excited for your progress and find inspiration in your success.

I have 20lbs to loose but no matter how much or little weight one has to loose, we all can have a hand in motivating one another. Skinny pics are just more fuel for me to be successful.

I hope you feel better soon and trust, we all have felt the same as you, I actually applaud your honesty; this gives you an opportunity to see this issue from a different perspective.