Gluten Free Diet

Options
I've been considering a gluten free diet. Thoughts? I've done some reading and I can't really seam to find anything that's more in favor or against it if you don't have celiac disease. Is anyone gluten free by choice? If so do you think it really makes a difference?

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    When trying to figure out what my digestive system hated, I gave up gluten (and all kinds of other things). I don't see any point in restricting your diet if you don't have a specific reaction to it, and realistically, processed gluten free stuff isn't any better for you nutritionally.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet diet. It's just for celiac disease or other specific health problems. People often gain weight while on it if that's all they do. No need to do it if your body doesn't have a bad reaction to gluten.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Mixed feelings here. I have heard that gluten can also be related to other allergies and do, in fact, have acquaintences who's gluten free diet seems to have minimized some common allergic reactions to pollen, etc. Can't find much support on it, but I will say those I know who are on the diet have lost, not gained weight.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend can't have gluten for health reasons, and since I cook a lot for us, I often am gluten-free too. I'd say - don't do it. If you're thinking more along the lines of avoiding breads and pastas, that can be good and help with macro intakes (amount of protein vs carbs vs fat). However, replacing traditional wheat products like breads and pastas with gluten-free versions tends to give you more calories for the same amount of food. I'd say it would be more trouble than its worth in most cases.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you are gluten sensitive or have Celiac's. My daughter has and she lost quite a bit of weight, while I don't have that problem and gained weight when I tried. Stupid potato chips and tortilla chips are gluten free :laugh: Be aware of what you will be giving up besides bread. Oatmeal, wheat, barley, couscous, most processed meats, anything with mono-sodium glutamate, etc. And, if you're the only one in the house giving it up, then you have to be extremely careful of cross-contamination, plus very few restaurants offer gluten-free foods.

If there's no reason for you to be on it, then it's really not worth it.

P.S. No beer!!!!!!!!!! :noway:
  • toglamgirl
    toglamgirl Posts: 26
    Options
    Personally I am not a celiac, have been tested and fortunately, it was negative. But I have some issues with the intestinal tract and related organs and when I am Gluten Free or Low Gluten (which I'm doing now) - I always feel better.

But that is me. You could try it - it wouldn't hurt you to do so - but you will have to read every single solitary label. Anything with oats, barley, rye, wheat - or google a list of gluten free foods.

Either way - Good Luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When trying to figure out what my digestive system hated, I gave up gluten (and all kinds of other things). I don't see any point in restricting your diet if you don't have a specific reaction to it, and realistically, processed gluten free stuff isn't any better for you nutritionally.

I agree. I have Crohn's disease and tried a gluten free diet in hopes of finding the source of my digestive woes as well, and it worked. I don't recommend doing it "just to do it". It's inconvenient, expensive and not a lot of fun. The only reason I remain on a GF diet is because I prefer to make these sacrifices rather than 20 trips to the bathroom every day.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you do not have an allergy or sensitivity to gluten, there's really no point to go gluten free. If you're really concerned about the grains you eat, at least cut out processed and refined grains (e.g. white flour, etc..).

Having Crohn's Disease, I go through cycles of being gluten intolerant to being able to eat whatever I want. When my digestive tract is acting up and I avoid foods like gluten, I feel fine. When my digestive tract is not acting up and I eat whatever I want, I feel fine.

All in all, you won't lose weight being gluten free. Gluten free does not mean healthy. Carb is a carb... whether it's rice flour or wheat flour. It just depends on how your body breaks it down.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I totally don't get why anyone who has no medical reason to do so would go gluten free. Cut down carbs maybe, but going gluten free is ridiculous if you dont need to and it has NO weight loss benefits whatsoever.
    Some people may lose, but that is generally from being forced into a healthier way of eating, which you can do just as well while eating gluten.
    If you suspect you are gluten sensitive, you should continue to eat normally until you have seen you Dr, as cutting out gluten too early can affect the test results.

My sister is coeliac and I am partly diagnosed, it makes your life much more compliacted having to check the ingredients for everything, you cant eat at your favourite restaurants in case the food has been contaminated with gluten from other dishes, gluten free food is generally WAY more expensive than normal food.
    Also it gives restarants the wrong idea about what is acceptable for someone with a genuine gluten intolerance - it is vital that food places are aware how serious this can be, and people playing at being gluten free and not asking restaurants to be so strict gives the impression that coeliac disease is just being 'picky' with your food, when in fact accidentally eating gluten can make a person with coeliac diease seriously ill - I have heard of people being glutened as the chef thought it was just another fad and they were being fussy rather than having a medical condition!!!!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from the stuff but I don't avoid it all together. Sometimes you've just got to have a nice sandwich

picture-015-450x337.jpg
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am trying to, but it is hard! I read the book wheat belly and it was very interesting. I can say i absolutely feel MUCH better when I am not eating it, but I am pretty sure I have an intolerance to it and that it triggers my IBS.

Wanted to add also that I don't worry about the minor stuff that celiac's need to like cross contamination, and I still eat oats. I just try not to eat any wheat products or anything that has gluten in it.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    It's not a diet diet. It's just for celiac disease or other specific health problems. People often gain weight while on it if that's all they do. No need to do it if your body doesn't have a bad reaction to gluten.

This.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a gluten free diet. Thoughts? I've done some reading and I can't really seam to find anything that's more in favor or against it if you don't have celiac disease. Is anyone gluten free by choice? If so do you think it really makes a difference?

I have celiac's and only eat gluten / wheat free bread, pasta and rice as they are my main triggers. But, the bread isn't very nice unless toasted (so I only have it for breakfast)

If you want to give it a go there are a lot in the Free From range in most UK stores so plenty of alternatives.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am low-carb (doctor's orders, I have a metabolic condition similar to diabetes and I've chosen to control it entirely through diet instead of taking any drugs). My diet really ends up being low- or no-gluten as well. If you'd like to try a gluten free diet, you might check low-carb or paleo or primal sites for good recipes and recipe substitutions that will work for you. I have learned to make pancakes with protein powder, flatbread & tortillas with almond flour, and muffins with flaxseed meal. It does take a lot of work, finding good substitutes and having to cook everything yourself instead of buying ready-made stuff. But if it makes you more healthy, it's worth it. Your call.

Either way, good luck to you!
  • em9371
    Options
    I try to stay away from the stuff but I don't avoid it all together. Sometimes you've just got to have a nice sandwich

picture-015-450x337.jpg

this is exactly what I meant, people say they are gluten free but then eat it when it gets too hard grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Gives the impression that 'a litlle bit of gluten' wont hurt a coeliac when it can actually make them VERY ill!!!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of the book The Wheat Belly. It's very informative, it will help you make a decision one way or another.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I plan to test out gluten free soon. There are multiple reasons why someone might want to and these are the ones I am aware of:

- celiac disease
    - chrone's disease
    - gluten sensitivity/allergy
    - wheat allergy
    - reducings carbohydrates
  • em9371
    Options
    I plan to test out gluten free soon. There are multiple reasons why someone might want to and these are the ones I am aware of:

- celiac disease
    - chrone's disease
    - gluten sensitivity/allergy
    - wheat allergy
    - reducings carbohydrates

reducing carbs is not a valid reason to go gluten free, it is in a LOT of foods, not only ones that are high in carbs. Its totally unneccesary unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Back in 2009 I voluntarily went GF. It was hard as crap because I couldn't find things to eat then. GF lifestyle is far more popular now. To answer your question about it making a difference - YES, it did for me. My stomach quit hurting. This will be TMI, but you asked - the gas also disappeared. However, I was eating a lot of the same things over and over, like steak at restaurants. I bet if I really put in the time and effort, I could be GF and avoid processed foods. No one said you had to eat processed GF foods. You can eat meats, eggs, fish, rice/corn products, certain oatmeal, fruit. I'm going to say it won't hurt you to try it.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I totally don't get why anyone who has no medical reason to do so would go gluten free. Cut down carbs maybe, but going gluten free is ridiculous if you dont need to and it has NO weight loss benefits whatsoever.
    Some people may lose, but that is generally from being forced into a healthier way of eating, which you can do just as well while eating gluten.
    If you suspect you are gluten sensitive, you should continue to eat normally until you have seen you Dr, as cutting out gluten too early can affect the test results.

My sister is coeliac and I am partly diagnosed, it makes your life much more compliacted having to check the ingredients for everything, you cant eat at your favourite restaurants in case the food has been contaminated with gluten from other dishes, gluten free food is generally WAY more expensive than normal food.
    Also it gives restarants the wrong idea about what is acceptable for someone with a genuine gluten intolerance - it is vital that food places are aware how serious this can be, and people playing at being gluten free and not asking restaurants to be so strict gives the impression that coeliac disease is just being 'picky' with your food, when in fact accidentally eating gluten can make a person with coeliac diease seriously ill - I have heard of people being glutened as the chef thought it was just another fad and they were being fussy rather than having a medical condition!!!!

I am going to disagree with you. It may not be for weight loss, but it can be for overall relief of discomfort which can make all the difference in the world. I voluntarily went GF and felt great. And you don't have to run out and buy GF foods when you can just eat clean.