comments from parents?

Options
2»

Replies

• padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and realize that you are doing great. The most freeing thing I ever did was quit taking what others said about me to heart. I tell them I know what I need to do and it is mind over matter. I don't mind because your opinions do not matter. I am 45 and it took a long time to get to the point of doing things for myself because I want to be a better me. Sounds like you are doing what you need to do. Next time Dad says, "your belly is big, shrug and say well sir not as big as yours.":flowerforyou:
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I guess telling him a father should never have a mouth that big is out of the question, huh?

I'm sorry he says stuff like that to you. My father never said anything about me specifically, but his opinions on women in general are pretty abhorrent, and I can't imagine that he didn't see that I, too, am a woman and he was therefore insulting both me and my mother. I shot back somewhat nasty comments of my own, but with a smile, so we both knew we were "joking." It was satisfying, but not very mature, hehe.

My dad now suffers of a form of dementia and he's a lot nicer, but the memory of things he used to say sticks with me.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    " My stomach is too big? I'm sorry your compassion is so small. "

First off, I'm sorry your Dad said something so un-supportive. You are trying to be healthy and fit and that is admirable.

Unfortunately, you can't change people, especially the people you love. All you can change is how you let it affect you (or not!)

My advice, acknowledge that it sucked. That it was hurtful, rude and NOT even based in reality.

Define yourself and don't waver from your own definition. You are beautiful in YOUR way, not constrained by someone else's view of you.

My dad was the same. I hated myself for a good 30 years and finally became what he always said I was (even when, like you, I was fit and healthy at the time.) Now I am learning to trust myself all over again, and it is a long hard process.

I wish I had had the strength when I was your age to know when someone was full of $%^& and just pushing my (incredibly adorable naturally lol) buttons. :)

The people closest to you are RARELY the people who see you the most objectively. Their views (and not always maliciously so!) are usually skewed by their own feelings, love, fears, dreams etc for you (and guilt, regret etc about themselves).

Be healthy, be fit, be happy. Take criticism to MIND but not to heart. We create our own realities, and our own happiness. =) Keep your power in you and do what makes you happy.

Sappy, yep, but true.

Best wishes with your health goals!
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My parents did some major damage to my body image when I was growing up. They constantly compared my body to my sister's body - we have totally different body types! I never got a straight compliment out of them. It was always followed by some kind of disclaimer... "You look nice in that outfit, but you'd look better if you lost 5 lbs" "You're pretty, but you're a different kind of pretty than your sister" (the reason I was told no when I wanted to apply to the same teen modeling program she was in at that age), "You're too "this"... you're not enough "that". The comments were pretty regular.

I owned a lot of them for a long time. Whether they were true or not doesn't really matter - they were damaging in the way that they were delivered.

Even just recently, I made a comment to her that I didn't want to be as thin as I was just 10 years ago b/c I was looking at pictures and could see bones sticking out in places they shouldn't have been sticking out. Her response was that *she* would want to see those bones sticking out on her if she was me. *smh* Un.Healthy.

Thankfully, I am now able to see the comments for how unrealistic and damaging they are now (for the most part). My current body issues are my own. lol But, when I struggle, I remind myself that I just gave birth to baby #4 a few months ago and need to be patient with my body as it recovers.

When your dad says something like that, thank him for sharing his opinion - then remind yourself that it's *just his opinion* and let it go. Most parents honestly mean well, they just don't realize how hurtful their comments come across and pointing it out to them just makes them defensive.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just respond with the question, "Jealous?". It works for hair comments as well!

Seriously that is really to bad. I am sorry dear.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I love my mother very much, but she's the queen of idiotic pseudo-compliments. I know first hand how much it hurts when someone points out something that you're already sensitive about. The only thing to do is allow yourself to hurt, and move on. Our parents are often set in their ways. I've told my mother countless times how her little jabs hurt me, but she simply isn't capable of understanding WHY they hurt.

When you think of it in that light, they become just people, as flawed as anyone, and instead of anger and hurt, I just feel bad for her that she must be in a pretty bad place if she's so set on pointing out my every flaw. Have compassion and realize that your life is only yours, and your father can't take that away.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand why a parent would make comments like that! I too had that from both my parents. My mom's question would always be, "When are you going to lose your weight?" My dad once remarked that he saw cellulite on the front of my thighs, and he was grossed out -- this coming from a 350 pound 5 foot 7 man:huh: Try not to let it get to you. If I were you, I would tell him how you feel.
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    My dad, both my parents really, had that kind of power over me for a long time. I am 36 and a parent now myself and what I started doing is I do not tell them much. If I am trying to write or get a job or lose weight, I usually keep it to myself so they do not discourage me. Also, as I ahve gotten older I no longer see them as parents as much as I see them as people. They are flawed, damaged, hurt people just like I am. They do not know more than I do anymore. In a lot of cases they know less. My life is mine now. They cannot dictate how it will go. They do not decide who I am.

Now from a parent's perspective, I am not perfect. I feel gulity a lot. Sometimes I say things I should not say to my children. I say things like "You are lazy." or "You are never organized." I am labeling them and hurting them possibly for life when I do this. And when I look at myself in the mirror I see the truth. I am only saying to them WHAT I THINK ABOUT MYSELF.

When we put others down we are seeing in them what we refuse to see in ourselves. Your dad is insecure about his own weight and he is reflecting that onto you. What he says means nothing. It does not change the fact that you are thin, unless you let it.

I am sorry you are going through this. Try as much as you can to detach from his words. Try to know they are meaningless and it takes nothing away from all that you have done, all your successes.

Thanks for your honesty. I , too find myself sharing less with my mom. At one time her approval meant the world to me, but now she no longer has any authority. As you have said. She is older than me, not necessarily smarter. Any comments she makes, no matter what the subject are actually critiques coming for her own unhappiness. I have also labeled my kids, shamefully so, and am making great efforts to no longer do so. I hope they can see that I am flawed but am trying to make changes for the better. I do not want them to see me as I sometimes see my mom. I find myself less angry at my mom and more sorry for her as I get older.
  • christinedean14
    Options
    There comes a time in everyone's life that you end up "parenting" your parents. My parents are the exact same way. About 5 years ago, I just put them in their place. I reminded them that those things are very hurtful and unless that was their intention, then they needed to start thinking before they speak. Otherwise, I would start saying what was on my mind about them too or I would just cut them out of my life. It brought my mom to tears and my dad got very angry, but neither of them have made comments since then.
    I still do have to put them in their place with ignorant comments about other things. I learned that unless I speak up and tell them how it hurts me and how they need to stop, then they have that one chance to change it. If they don't, then they will meet the "b**ch in me and our relationship would be lost forever until they changed.
    I am sure you don't let other people "bully" you around, so don't let them either. Stay strong!!!!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    wow, if you can see your abs, your tummy obviously isn't big!!
    I'm guessing he's probably just upset that you're doing something he isn't and seeing progress
    that he isn't working for so it's making him mad...
    but him being a parent and saying that is beyond ridiculous no matter how much he's upset about it.

you're doing great!
    use it as motivation! and tell him to eff off :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry, a father should never effing say sh$t like that. It was rude, and just plain mean. :grumble: :angry:

Ditto.