Best breakfast to fend off hunger?

Options

Replies

• jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't have much time in the mornings so cereal is my bfat. I've learned that cheerios, wheaties, "non-kid" w/ 1/2 skim milk can hold me over until my snack at 10 (I have bfast at 6:45).

If I try things like bagels, toast, waffles, poptarts, etc - I end up wanting to eat the entire day.

On weekends, I'll have breakfast after my morning workout and then will either go for cereal or scrambled eggs with toast.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, with nuts if you have the calories to allocate
    20oz bottle carbonated water
    followed by a large black coffee an hour or so later
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had two hard boiled eggs and 3 ounces of leftover salmon for lunch! For mid morning snack I had oatmeal, almonds, strawberries and honey. MMM MMM!
  • Fab_Tab
    Fab_Tab Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    While I tend to change my meals ona pretty regular basis, I always drink a cup of white tea with lemon after breakfast and dinner. patterns such as these tell your body that it is done eating and helps to keep consistent meal patterns.
  • F1refairy
    F1refairy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow MFP'ers,

I'm testing various breakfasts to see what keeps me from starving the longest. What holds you intact without racking up too many calories?

If I get ravenous (as I usually do) then I'll eat almost anything... small dogs, children. (just kidding! don't freak!)

I'm also testing out intermittent fasting. Once a week is my goal at this point and only from breakfast to breakfast or dinner to dinner. I find once I get past the really hungry stage (which is really shorter than I expected) I can hold out fairly well. I'm only doing this to see if I can control my hunger. Not doing it necessarily for weight loss or for spiritual reasons.

Thanks for your input!

For me, no breakfast. If I eat even a COOKIE, I'm ravenous all day. If I don't eat breakfast...I can easily go till 2-3pm before really being hungry.

I do IF as well, by the way...but I've always been this way as far as eating and being hungry in the AM.

I used to do this too; eat nothing until about 2pm and then eat all my calories (around 1200) for the day in a 5 hour eating window and at 7pm stop until 2pm the next day. It basically amounts to a late lunch, snack, dinner. I read a lot of good stuff about eating like this, and lost a lot of weight, quicker than having the same number of calories spread out over the day (I didn't change my daily number of calories, just ate them later). I also got a lot leaner, and when I noticed this I started lifting weights.

After about day 5 it was very easy and I didn't even think about food until the afternoon. I would find it very hard to go without food for a while if I had already had breakfast though, I find this kind of hunger different from fasting hunger and a lot harder to deal with. I am currently experimenting with fasting alternate days, so eat nothing until 5.30 - 6pm and then have a small dinner, and the next day I make up for it on the calories, eating healthy food all day (at maintenance level of calories) and repeat. This also has a lot of health benefits which is what I was mainly interested in, and it helps avoid the dreaded plateau.

As fasting is not hard for me, it is great eating like I am not on a diet at least half of the week, but still lose as much weight as if I restricted myself everyday, maybe more.
  • janiscurry
    janiscurry Posts: 109
    Options
    Oatmeal and lowfat cottage cheese with fruit
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    This morning I had an egg, half cup of milk, and 2oz of london broil. You could add some fruit or toast with it and still only come in around 300calories. That should hold you over pretty good.
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 Kashi 7 grain waffles with Parkers all natural PB on top. It amounts to about 300 calories. I eat an orange (or other fruit) around 1030am. It keeps me satisfied easily until 1pm.
  • sara156
    sara156 Posts: 19
    Options
    my absolute favorite is a packet of weight control oatmeal, half a cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt, a banana, and a teaspoon of honey. it definitely keeps me full for a while. hope this helps :)
  • lirby10
    lirby10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well I sometimes have this problem. Don't know about fasting. I am not a fan because I think it messes with motabolism. As for breakfast it's all about blood sugar and crashing that makes you starving. My younger daughter is hypogylcemic- low blood sugar and this happens to her. Doctor says giving her more sugar is the worst thing so we have to incorporate protein in the morning. If I eat ceral and milk (even the healthy stuff) does not stick. I am crashing and so hungry. Protein, Protein, Protein is the key. Egg or Egg whites or something else that has good protein. Make sure you balance your protein and sugar. Your body processes your food better and keeps your blood sugar level. If you want something sweet try making yourself french toast (egg whites and sugar free surup). Make an egg white breakfast taco (low fat). Even lower sugar oatmeal stays with me but usually I eat an egg white with it. I know what you are talking about because I want to bindge when this happens. Eat small meal more often. I'm 46 and have lost close to 18.
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    protein shake (3/4 scoop chocolate protein powder, almond milk *currently using so Almond + protein*, cocoa powder, canned pumpkin, black beans (1/8 cup), 2tbsp vanilla greek yogurt, ice)

Oh.... my gods.... this changes EVERYTHING.

It certainly does! I never considered canned pumpkin either
    Me either.....wonder what the macros are on this???
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Flax cake! 1TBL butter, 3TBL flax meal, half scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 egg, 1/2tea baking powder, 2tea cinnomon - in a microwave safe bowl melt butter (10sec) then stir in flax meal, stir in egg, add remaning ingredients and mix well. High in micro 1 min, let stand one min, flip onto plate. I added SF syrup for a total of 355 calories, 27g protein! SO easy to make, too! Just mix, nuke and flip! lol
  • 1lizette1
    1lizette1 Posts: 14
    Options
    toast some whole wheat bread
    smear some peanut butter or nutella on toast
    slice banana (1 banana usually does 2 slices of toast)
    put slices on peanut butter
    drizzle a tiny bit of honey over banana

Enjoy

I eat this a lot in the winter and it carries me thru and past lunch most of the time

this made me drool....

Me too! Must try this one also.

Just to note ... watch how much Nutella you spread on, 1 tbsp is 100 calories
  • 1lizette1
    1lizette1 Posts: 14
    Options
    In my experience, eating both parts of the egg keeps me fuller than just the whites (and the yolks are particularly nutritious! See this USDA table http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html). Unless cholesterol is a serious concern for you, you may want to consider eating whole eggs instead of just using whites.
    I love eating the entire eggs most days. Just wanted to try a new recipe. I'm all for the egg! I get my beautiful brown eggs from my neighbor. They are so fresh! Hardboiing is out of the question. Can't peel them.
    I eat farm fresh eggs as well. I have an egg cooker. You add distilled water and your eggs just sit on a tray. It beeps when they're done (the water has evaporated).
    Also, once the egg is cooked and cooled a little, I crack it in half with the edge of a spoon then scoop the egg out of it's shell.
    I enjoy 2 hard boiled eggs and 1 low-fat yogurt almost every morning. This holds me until about 11 and at that time I have a fruit.
  • RomaBella10
    RomaBella10 Posts: 15
    Options
    I usually eat two eggs (hard boiled) and one slice of ezekiel bread with 1 Tbsp of almond butter. Or I'll eat oatmeal topped with greek yogurt (sometimes I will add almonds or walnuts). Both are very filling!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    In my experience, eating both parts of the egg keeps me fuller than just the whites (and the yolks are particularly nutritious! See this USDA table http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html). Unless cholesterol is a serious concern for you, you may want to consider eating whole eggs instead of just using whites.
    I love eating the entire eggs most days. Just wanted to try a new recipe. I'm all for the egg! I get my beautiful brown eggs from my neighbor. They are so fresh! Hardboiing is out of the question. Can't peel them.

Oh, so jealous!! Proper, brown, new eggs are gold-plated in London, and they are so much better than the supermarket variety, no matter how 'free-range' one buys. Absolutely understand trying a new recipe - just wanted to be sure you weren't missing out on the wonder of a full egg, because of a fear of (now generally held to be mythical) 'dangerous cholesterol' in eggs!
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day, but I love them all!

I'm probably not a great help as I usually have a two part brekky. One before working out (if I'm just walking the dogs, than it's just my brekky before I walk them) and one afterwards.

I usually have -
    Greek yoghurt and berries

and/or

Multigrain English muffins with avocado and vegemite

and/or

2 weetbix, milk and perhaps a banana or some other fruit (it depends)

I choose two of these to have in the morning, in whatever combination that suits.

I really feel that I need to fuel up before working out and refuel afterwards. It's probably just all in my head, but it definitely helps me get through to lunch (I'm not a big daytime snacker - nighttime is another story!)

I love eggs, but I usually have them at other times during the day (love poached eggs especially). If I treat myself with breakfast out, I'll have eggs but I won't have a 'second' breakfast. But then, later in the day I'll probably have yoghurt and berries, so I just think I enjoy having these food everyday.

I personally never bother with having just egg whites unless it's in pavlova lol. I like the whole egg.

Edit - when I've started to have had enough of these breakfasts (unlikely anytime soon) I'd love to try and add some more veges (more than just the avo) to this meal. I am happy with the amount of veges I typically eat now, but you can never have too much I don't think.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar and a banana on the way to the gym every morning. It works for me. :)
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Well I sometimes have this problem. Don't know about fasting. I am not a fan because I think it messes with motabolism. As for breakfast it's all about blood sugar and crashing that makes you starving. My younger daughter is hypogylcemic- low blood sugar and this happens to her. Doctor says giving her more sugar is the worst thing so we have to incorporate protein in the morning. If I eat ceral and milk (even the healthy stuff) does not stick. I am crashing and so hungry. Protein, Protein, Protein is the key. Egg or Egg whites or something else that has good protein. Make sure you balance your protein and sugar. Your body processes your food better and keeps your blood sugar level. If you want something sweet try making yourself french toast (egg whites and sugar free surup). Make an egg white breakfast taco (low fat). Even lower sugar oatmeal stays with me but usually I eat an egg white with it. I know what you are talking about because I want to bindge when this happens. Eat small meal more often. I'm 46 and have lost close to 18.
    I'm thinking this^^ I had cereal this morning and was starving by lunch time. Protein looks to be my answer. (went to Mexican restaurant for lunch and pigged out!)
    Thanks