PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Im not a pear....honestly Im not sure how youd describe my shape but ive gained an inch in both my thighs and its muscle and its sexy and im damn proud of my legs so my question is exactly what are you complaining about.....you don't like muscle???

Hey miss lovely lifter, NOT EVERYONE has the same interests as you. Some want to be really thin. So put a cap on it.

There's a difference between being thin, and having good body composition. Women would do well to not only eat at a calorie deficit when trying to lose weight, but also do a good weight resistance training program like SL 5x5, Starting Strength or NROLFW. The water will pass, and with dedication and positive energy you will achieve your goals and look like a goddess.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    LOL 1st world problems: ARG my thighs are too muscley! :laugh:

I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted but thanks for posting.. you give me hope 'cause I'm trying to amp up my bum :flowerforyou:

I also wanted to say... KEEP AT IT!! Beyonce is a total pear but she has super muscley thighs & it looks amazing on her... i think you're just at a weird phase of development that you weren't expecting. It will get better :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Im not a pear....honestly Im not sure how youd describe my shape but ive gained an inch in both my thighs and its muscle and its sexy and im damn proud of my legs so my question is exactly what are you complaining about.....you don't like muscle???

Hey miss lovely lifter, NOT EVERYONE has the same interests as you. Some want to be really thin. So put a cap on it.

New meat is feisty...

Fine. Stop lifting. Try eating as little as possible. Don't do this for your health, do this for a number on the scale. You'll look awful most likely and you'll have no energy, but hey you won't have to freak out about temporarily gaining 1 inch.

OR keep lifting and start appreciating your body. You decide.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    1. muscular legs on a female are hot
    2. work your lats also, this will give you a more broad upper body to even out with your legs, while your waist will remain small, giving you an hourglass figure
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    you have to burn fat too...
    i do squats and jumping lunges every day and they make my legs look awesome. The muscles really pop out.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    "Someone" is cranky...I'm not naming names!

I love my big, strong legs!!!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I think all women should have strong thighs and child-rearing hips, but that's me. Did you measure the day after going to the gym? If so, wait a couple days after resting and check it again. They call that 'the pump'. It goes away.
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a pear shape also. A few years ago, running & walking was my main exercise-- my boyfriend at the time was pissed because I lost my thighs, hips and butt. It just depends on each person maybe. I love squats & lunges because of the muscles you achieve from those exercises.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Feeling on the downside today. I've started to do squats & lunges as reading tips from some MFP members being pear shaped or well carrying most fat on thighs/hips.... and with also eating healthy it has only made them BIGGER. i'm not even overexaggerating, I gained an INCH. an INCH!!! Yes they have more muscle but I was aiming to slim them down / lose inches.

What works for some of you doesn't work for EVERYONE.
    I just want to give up. My jeans feel super tight on that area and a girl in the gym who is pear shaped that i've seen have great success told me she stopped doing squats/lunges due to the fact that pear shapes don't always have the best success in that area, so she does alot of cardio and HIIT..

NOW.. to anyone who REALLY has some success stories in that area.. what SERIOUSLY has helped you???

Time and consistency (in weight loss and training) will solve your problem. It will probably take a 6 months to a year of hard, consistent work, but you'll get change. If you give up heavy weighted leg work, you give up toned legs and thighs. You should be weighting your squats and lunges MORE.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It's temporary, don't worry.

I am pear shaped as well, and although I've lost 4 inches in my waist and 3 in my hips, I've only lost 1 in my thighs. But at first, my thighs got a big bigger due to the muscle building (I do squats and lunges all the time). I also run, do cardio kickboxing, and yoga...at first, yes, your thighs will probably get a bit bigger, but as you continue to burn fat they'll get smaller and all you'll see are sexy muscular thighs and a booty you can bounce a quarter off of!

Give it some time. I didn't notice my thighs getting any slimmer until fairly recently and I've been really at this hardcore since late January. Also, there is no golden rule that says you HAVE to do lunges and squats all the time. I do them because they firm up the jiggle and building muscle helps me to burn the fat more efficiently. Trust the process :)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    And it's only one inch. Just one. Relax.

I say this allll the time.

O.m.gosh! ROFL!

:laugh:
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It happens, but if you continue (since weight loss isn't just a month and a half ordeal), they will slim down. You can't base it being non effective since you've only done it a short time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yup this is legit. We are all living in an instant gratification soceity. Everything takes time, fitness especially. I know I always try to measure my gains/losses over a 12 wk period. Definitely some ups and downs along the way.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options

LOL, I'm not the only one who finds this reply hilarious, right???
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a total pear, have been doing squats and lunges, usually weighted, twice a week with a trainer in addition to 3 sessions of high-impact cardio for the last 4 weeks. I've gained 10 lbs (mostly water/off now), lost a pants size and have never loved my legs or butt more. Give it time. Also watch your calorie intake.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Cardio and then more cardio. My hips, thighs and butt are losing all the weight right now. If only I could get my waist to catch up, then I'd be in a smaller pant size for sure.

I do 8 miles a day on the exercise bike. I try to keep the tension up by doing intervals. Today, I did four and a half minute intervals of high tension and then 3 minutes of lower tension for 30 minutes total.

I'm going to do some more cardio for about 45 minutes. Just low impact and then top it all off with some Wii Zumba.

Good luck!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Twigs break easily! Strong Fit women are sexy as h3ll and can handle a lot more without breaking. I'll take Lovely Lifters body and advice anyday of the week.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    my legs seem to look smaller the heavier i go in the squats etc...but i have been at it for 8 months...maybe the measuring isnt accurate, or youre measuring in a different spot...i would keep at it.:glasses:

IMGP2865-1.jpg
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Have you seen my profile pic?

I am a pear too and carry my weight in my hips and thighs. I would love some good exercises for slimming that area too. My waist has always been proportionally much smaller which makes it hard to buy jeans/trousers.

You're one sexy pear.

^^^^ silly :happy:

try adding more cardio to your routine. Or you can cut back on the lunges/squats and start the brazilian butt lift from beachbody. Works your problem areas: thighs, hips and butt.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It takes time, be patient.

I don' knowt if my legs got temporary bigger when I first started, but my thighs have slimmed quite a bit since I have kept up with it. I can squat 90 lbs. Believe me I have long legs. I used to have chunky legs, but I don't anymore.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Feeling on the downside today. I've started to do squats & lunges as reading tips from some MFP members being pear shaped or well carrying most fat on thighs/hips.... and with also eating healthy it has only made them BIGGER. i'm not even overexaggerating, I gained an INCH. an INCH!!! Yes they have more muscle but I was aiming to slim them down / lose inches.

What works for some of you doesn't work for EVERYONE.
    I just want to give up. My jeans feel super tight on that area and a girl in the gym who is pear shaped that i've seen have great success told me she stopped doing squats/lunges due to the fact that pear shapes don't always have the best success in that area, so she does alot of cardio and HIIT..

NOW.. to anyone who REALLY has some success stories in that area.. what SERIOUSLY has helped you???

You get what you pay for...... rather than complain that people on here aren't giving you the advice you want, maybe..... just maybe..... you should ease up on the caps button (yelling) and get a trainer! Just my opinion.
    Oh.....and.... I am a trainer and have had success in that area. BTW...