PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I still don't get what the deal is with stressing about what fruit one is shaped like. The **** is that all about?
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I started to doing them to get a bigger butt.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    And it's only one inch. Just one. Relax.

I say this allll the time.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That one inch makes a difference on me fitting into a pair of size five jeans. If my legs get bigger by an inch, i have to buy a size 7. No Joke. I can't afford to buy clothes like that, especially when i have given away all my sevens.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The upper thigh is one of of the fattiest parts of the human body. Keep on the diet and they will get smaller. As a woman, I highly doubt you will have overly muscular legs. Its better to have muscle under the fat than have tubes of pure fat sticking out the bottom of your hips.
  • preussen101
    preussen101 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm so glad I can help you out here, I just researched a ton of info on this same matter this morning! Okay, the problem is that squats and lunges are intense exercises for building muscle in the legs when you want to be doing the opposite. The way to counteract this and start slimming down is to do endurance training instead of intense or resistance training. AVOID CLIMBING MACHINES AT ALL COSTS as well as being sure to use absolutely no incline or decline when running or walking, and stay off the balls of your feet as much as possible, unfortunately meaning no high-heeled shoes. Instead of doing HIIT or sprints on a treadmill, opt instead for a long jog. The key is to make the workout last longer while still burning the same amount of calories. I have to make this adjustment myself as I've just discovered that I've gained an inch on my now-16" calves when all I want is to slip into 13" boots. Comparing the physique of professional sprinters or endurance runners, the sprinters have more defined, bulkier leg muscles for the power they provide. The endurance runners, however, have noticeably slimmer legs to make them lighter and carry them through the long distance. Also, the average woman does not begin to see slimming changes in the legs until they have 18% body fat or less as the legs are usually the LAST part to benefit from fat burning cardio.

Here's some links I found that offer more detail and help:

http://www.superskinnyme.com/slim-thighs.html

http://www.superskinnyme.com/how-to-slim-down-big-thighs.html

Poke around a bit on that site and you'll find a treasure trove of information :]
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Uggghhh. I have been squatting for 4 months and am up to 225lb squats and I have not gained 1mm of size on my legs - and I am a male. I am dumping protein and food down my gullet hoping to gain some muscle... Nothing. Then OP strolls in here after lifting for a month and a half and she gains an inch of bulk.... By accident!!!

Haha now you know how women feel when a man says "Oh man, I lost 10lbs, I need to put on some weight!"

*Actual quote from my boyfriend to me*
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my size in my hips, butt and thighs. I have been working out with a trainer for 1.5 years now, and at first my thighs got bigger as I gained more muscle. Squats and lunges were, and still are, a big part of my lower body workouts.

However, as I got leaner, the inches started to come off much more rapidly. I started at 37 inches around my thighs, and went up to 39, and am now down to 34. The more muscle you carry, the more efficient your body becomes. You have to give it some time... some people take longer to see changes than others. It can be frustrating, but you just have to stick with it.
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce random body parts into being skinny. 'Skinniness' is made possible by an overall weight loss, you can't cause weight-loss in only ONE part of your body.

Squats will build up endurance in your lower half and help to build up muscle (and pop your booty out nicely :P) but that won't make you lose weight in JUST your thighs/butt. That just isn't possible. You can cause muscle definition, you can increase the endurance in your legs, but you can't just make fat go away in ONE part of the body.

What the most important thing to do is, and this goes above any amount of squats or lunges you can do, is to accept your body for how it will always be and learn to love this. Not everyone will have, or SHOULD have, the same appearance. That just isn't realistic. Having curvy legs does not equal you being fat or overweight. That's how bodies look. Some people will be capable of having stick-straight legs, some people will always have curves. What will make the most difference is how you accept, and adore your body for being beautiful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    You should do tae-bo. I heard you don't huge muscles that way :flowerforyou:
    :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    BTW, since incorporating squats, lunges/side lunges.. I gained 2 inches off my thighs and my thighs were at 21" to begin with.. I have a 24" waist with 37" hips... now my thighs are at 23"

some of u must not know how it feels.

I WISH i could get bigger thighs and hips.... i'm too top heavy
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Uggghhh. I have been squatting for 4 months and am up to 225lb squats and I have not gained 1mm of size on my legs - and I am a male. I am dumping protein and food down my gullet hoping to gain some muscle... Nothing. Then OP strolls in here after lifting for a month and a half and she gains an inch of bulk.... By accident!!!

225 lbs squats for a guy won't do much for muscle gains. How many reps are you doing? Try upping the weight...
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I thought squats and lunges were supposed to develop your thighs and glutes...I've never heard of anyone doing them to make their legs smaller...firmer yes, but not slim and small.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Do body weight ones or lower weights. You are probably one of those women that gains muscle easily. This should keep you from adding size to your muscles.

Men very often have a hard time gaining muscle, I don't know why women would have an easier time since it takes testosterone to do so. Women usually don't have a lot of surplus testosterone, so I wouldn't know how something like this could be said in seriousness. Gains from strength training are more often water than anything else because that's what the muscle needs to aid repair.

Edit: Oh and low weight and high reps are great for building endurance, but not so much for serious muscle building.
  • bigtaz8
    bigtaz8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear shape too & I found that losing thighs and hips are the hardest and usually the last to go. A suggestion, this worked for me, do more reps less weights, this gives you the slender tone look you're seeking. I did not happen in 1-2 months but I truly noticed the difference when most of the weight up top came off. Walking and running does help extremely too if you're hitting your target heart rate. It is going to be trail and error, don't give up...as long as you have the muscle built this should sustain a defined look once the fat comes off. Having big hips and thighs is a pain, especially trying to get into pants that fit at the waist but don't compensate the huge legs.. I feel your pain girlfriend...but research your options more, even if you go to other sites. Mainly look for toning the legs, not bulking them up. Squats, elliptical and most leg exercises will bulk you up, but you have to do them right and for toning not building muscle. Hope this helps.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Those exercises are really good to keep your core muscles strong. Those muscles pull in your gut when when they get stronger. There is nothing worse than a bad back due to a weak core that keeps you from exercising! Just watch the weight pile on then!

I think you are giving up too early, before any real changes can take place. First build muscles, then that enables you to work harder, and then the fat flies right off. I agree with those who say that this is temporary. The tightest, taughtest people do a lot of lunging and squats. Just look at your seasoned gymn instructor.
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    You are not alone. I gained almost an inch also in my thighs and and even my calves got bigger. I have also stopped doing squats, lunges and calf raises with all the excess weight.
    It was so upsetting, I finally got into the smaller jeans and then the thighs of the jeans began to get tight from the increase :sad:
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Feeling on the downside today. I've started to do squats & lunges as reading tips from some MFP members being pear shaped or well carrying most fat on thighs/hips.... and with also eating healthy it has only made them BIGGER. i'm not even overexaggerating, I gained an INCH. an INCH!!! Yes they have more muscle but I was aiming to slim them down / lose inches.

What works for some of you doesn't work for EVERYONE.
    I just want to give up. My jeans feel super tight on that area and a girl in the gym who is pear shaped that i've seen have great success told me she stopped doing squats/lunges due to the fact that pear shapes don't always have the best success in that area, so she does alot of cardio and HIIT..

NOW.. to anyone who REALLY has some success stories in that area.. what SERIOUSLY has helped you???

Well ... I'd rather gain an inch and have it TIGHT, than lose an inch and have it flabby and jiggly. But that's just me.
  • MzAJ2012
    MzAJ2012 Posts: 47
    Options
    I was just speaking to my friend about this the other day...lol we google work outs for body type and ran across www.livestrong.com and this site has workouts for your body shape my shape was a (spoon) similar to a pear shape and they said the best workout was walking, jogging ,jump jacs, side kicks, jump rope with speed rope. and that we need to stay away from squats,kickboxing,and step areobics.check the website out:)I hope this help
  • SweetT415
    SweetT415 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I can help you out here, I just researched a ton of info on this same matter this morning! Okay, the problem is that squats and lunges are intense exercises for building muscle in the legs when you want to be doing the opposite. The way to counteract this and start slimming down is to do endurance training instead of intense or resistance training. AVOID CLIMBING MACHINES AT ALL COSTS as well as being sure to use absolutely no incline or decline when running or walking, and stay off the balls of your feet as much as possible, unfortunately meaning no high-heeled shoes. Instead of doing HIIT or sprints on a treadmill, opt instead for a long jog. The key is to make the workout last longer while still burning the same amount of calories. I have to make this adjustment myself as I've just discovered that I've gained an inch on my now-16" calves when all I want is to slip into 13" boots. Comparing the physique of professional sprinters or endurance runners, the sprinters have more defined, bulkier leg muscles for the power they provide. The endurance runners, however, have noticeably slimmer legs to make them lighter and carry them through the long distance. Also, the average woman does not begin to see slimming changes in the legs until they have 18% body fat or less as the legs are usually the LAST part to benefit from fat burning cardio.

Here's some links I found that offer more detail and help:

http://www.superskinnyme.com/slim-thighs.html

http://www.superskinnyme.com/how-to-slim-down-big-thighs.html

Poke around a bit on that site and you'll find a treasure trove of information :]
    In other words you telling them to lose lean muscle which intern lowers metabolic rate. That's usually when "skinny fat" sinks in.

Sorry, but this ISN'T good advice. You CAN slim down legs with the correct regimen with weights.

IDEA Fitness member