Please stop the coffee bashing

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Seriously - just drink it black people... if its half-way decent (read: not pre-packaged crap), it will taste delicious.

PS: I know it's not a popular option for real coffee drinkers, but I drink my ICED coffee black too...

You know what's odd? I drink my iced coffee black and my regular coffee with skim milk. Just a splash though. Even if it is good coffee I find it to be more bitter than I like. I also don't particularly like really hot beverages so the milk cools it down.

Sorry I'm not a purist. :cry:
  • b_ism
    b_ism Posts: 60
    Options
    Good thing I don't drink coffee, otherwise I might be overwe-....wait a minute...
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "Coffee...the favourite drink of the civilized world" ~ Thomas Jefferson, February 14, 1824

It ain't the coffee that makes people fat. It's the stinking sugar, whole milk and whipped cream and chocolate syrup. Which are all lovely wonderful things - in moderation. Don't blame the coffee.
  • jldvb
    jldvb Posts: 6
    Options
    Half and half and splenda. It is one splurge that is worth every gram of fat.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I drank two 16-oz black coffees this morning and I stepped on the scale and I gained 2 lbs :(:(:(

Go pee

lol
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I fire up the Keurig every morning and have one amazing cup of delicious, probably overpriced coffee. And I put a splash of sugar free/non-fat creamer into it. And it's like, less than 30 calories. And it's amazing.

I've come a long way. I used to put super fatty, sugary flavored creamer AND some sugar in it, and have a few cups a day. Now, no sugar, and just a little splash of something non fat and/or sugar free (usually vanilla flavored) and I don't worry about it. I have attempted to do just a splash of skim milk, but I'm just not there yet. I'd like to eventually drink it black, but I just can't do it yet.
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    I drink my coffee black. I'm a purist. It's the only way to drink it. Do not hate on coffee.
    Lovely said! :flowerforyou:
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You know what's odd? I drink my iced coffee black and my regular coffee with skim milk. Just a splash though. Even if it is good coffee I find it to be more bitter than I like. I also don't particularly like really hot beverages so the milk cools it down.
    Not odd at all - I'm not a huge hot beverage fan either...
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Even if it is good coffee I find it to be more bitter than I like.
    If every single blend you try is bitter, you're brewing it wrong. I'd guess it's being burned at too high a temperature, or for too long, or maybe the grind is too fine.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That other thread confused me too. How can you say weight gain is drinking coffee when you add some sort of creamer ( made from who knows what) and sweetener to it. I would say weight gain is from the crap your adding to your coffee. Say the black coffee drinker.
  • stevieb3052
    stevieb3052 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7vIsamNuMsn8cmIyUn7mV2Upq97FznQEZlzL-ZZRCQp50vSwPmXwK5-vH

One of my favourite movie quotes and it gets a few strange looks when I say it to people.

IMHO, there is no way to drink coffee other than black, anything else is just a coffee flavoured drink.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    THE BEST coffee maker in the world: (IMO)

http://www.aeropress.ca/

i've heard great things. i usually go even more minimalist and use the single cup pour-over method

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6

At least until my replacement espresso machine arrives, which could be months.

Yes, I was going to go for the pour-over one too, but my barista friend said the aeropress is more forgiving because you can sttir it. Apparently with the pour over, you are supposed to pour very slowly and evenly? IDK, I just trusted her and bought one (only $35 anyway). OMG i love it so much.... I even prefer it to using my espresso machine now. I'm actually going to buy another one so I have one at work and one at home. YES I am a coffee fiend!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    il_fullxfull.239446294.jpg

as Mindless Self Indulgence would say
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i drink my coffee with half a teaspoon of half & half and a teaspoon of sugar. it is delicious. i love it. it does not cause me to gain weight. that is just ridiculous!
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Coffee is the best, can't get through a days hard graft without the beautiful beverage of the gods :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Really. Please, stop it. It hurts my feelings. Why do you people have to keep implicating coffee in your cream and sugar problems? If you want to quit drinking extra sweet frothy milk, please go ahead. But sweety frothy milk is to coffee what giraffes are to bananas.

Reading your thread makes me think I should go and have a black coffee with sweeteners in it.

Hold on, that's how I have my coffee! Going to make one now.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Coffee. mmmm

And yes, don't bash coffee when there's only about 2 drops of it in that drink of yours. :)
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    i smell coffee!!! oooppps i gained 1000lbs! i love coffee!!!:drinker:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I don't always drink coffee, but when I do drink coffee, I drink it black....stay caffeinated my friends!
  • JoyousJustine67
    JoyousJustine67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can have coffee anyway if you figure it in you daily calories :) healthy doesn't mean totally deprive yourself it is a choice :) i myself use SF cream and that's it i won't give coffee up unless i am doing a week detox ..... Just my 2 cents ♥