any band geeks? ;)

Options

Replies

• jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My wife and 4 daughters are band geeks; flute, base clarinet, trombone, trumpet, baritone.
    I ma a band dad crew roadie - 9 years and 3 more to go
  • idesam10
    idesam10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    current alto sax player for the Pride of Minnesota (University of Minnesota Marching Band) love it!
  • GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was co-captain of the color guard when I was in high school! Looooved it!
  • courtcourtfnp
    courtcourtfnp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Former (sadly) band geek. No instrument other than my flag, though, as I was in Color Guard. Miss it so much!!

I did Colorguard too! I miss it a lot!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I played trumpet and some french horn from grade school all the way through college...I have lots of good band camp stories, too!!
  • Usakoneko
    Usakoneko Posts: 21
    Options
    Former (sadly) band geek. No instrument other than my flag, though, as I was in Color Guard. Miss it so much!!

I did Colorguard too! I miss it a lot!

Awww! <3 I just wish there was a way to have Colorguard (or marching band in general!) post-college. It would be great exercise! XD And so much fun!
  • raqueljoliemassoud
    Options
    not really a geek per say haha but i do sing and play the guitar :)
  • AlyssaHan
    AlyssaHan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've played alto sax for 7 years!! I'm in concert band and jazz combo :)
  • 44by44th
    44by44th Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Started out on cornet in 4th grade, 6th grade switched to tuba and never looked back. Played all through school and beyond... 30+ years so far and no plans to quit anytime soon. After my wife and children, music brings the most joy to my life.
  • cranford_s
    cranford_s Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ohhh yes. Alto, soprano, & bari sax, and a little jazz flute haha. No, really, some of our charts had flute...
    I was band president & drum major my senior year. It owned my life.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Former band geek here too! I started playing Percussion when I was 4 and played through college. I can play most instruments in the percussion group (admittedly not all of them with expertise) but I was a mallet concentrate. I also play piano. My husband played tuba. We actually met at band camp!
  • kitsongirl
    kitsongirl Posts: 3
    Options
    ^_^
    I play clarinet in concert band
    and do color guard in marching band.
    Woop.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Former band geek. I played snare drum in the marching band, keyboard percussion for the most part during concert season (marimba, xylaphone) although I also occasionally played the other percussion instruments. Being one of the only drummers that could read music will do that.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Past band geek.

Marched alto sax in high school, tenor in college. Played alto/tenor/baritone in symphonic band in the winter.

JM
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Former trumpet player. And this one time, at band camp.....

(Only us band nerds can know how true that is.)
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek, in a band (as a bassist) full of nerds. The vocalist sings about Dr. who, and lots of books shes read. Guitarist is just as nerdy. Do I qualify as a band geek? :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yes, that would be my handle. Sax, flute, clarinet, all the single-reeds. Gig all the time with big bands, pit orchestras, opera orchestras, community bands, wedding bands, whatever.

And yes, the stereotype of flute players is totally true.
  • caelitusLux
    caelitusLux Posts: 10
    Options
    Love to the FHorn players! especially the guys! there were enough male French Horns in my opinion.

Haven't played since graduating college and it feels good to admit how much I miss it!!!
    I actually picked up mallet percussion in college, but besides that I was almost strictly French Horn ... maybe some mellophone and flugelhorn every once in a while.:tongue:
    LOVE this board topic!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    former band geek lol

i played flute in the band and percussion in marching band and aux percussion in jazz band

percussion was much more fun.

and the boys were hotter :P

and i dated most of them at one point or another LOLOLOL
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek, in a band (as a bassist) full of nerds. The vocalist sings about Dr. who, and lots of books shes read. Guitarist is just as nerdy. Do I qualify as a band geek? :)

you had me at dr who......