Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I :heart: that you posted this!! THANK YOU!! :happy:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fat believer in NROL4W (new rules of lifting for women), that being said I've recently completed the program and decided to give Strong Lifts a go.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You might stop getting your TOM if you do too many squats.

and this is a bad thing?? Maybe I should squat and not get depo :laugh: :laugh:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges have made my thighs and hips so much sleeker and tighter! I also have a better butt. And although this side effect is not visible - my knees feel so much better because all the muscles supporting them are stronger thanks to squats and lunges.

I know lots of people hate doing lunges... but they're actually my favorite exercise with weights.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    135# squats totally ruined my pear shaped booty:

back1.jpg

Damn it Alla. You better start doing some endless cardio to flatten that sucker out.

but I'm PEAR SHAPED!! There's no flattening out that bad boy, because I'm pear shaped! Psst: Jillian Michael's says that step aerobics (well really most aerobics) makes your *kitten* big . . . so you better watch out with that silly cardio talk!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I think even a 95 lb. squat is nothing to sneeze at!! So, good for you for progressing....better for you since you have learned the secrets to YOUR body's success!!

A pleasure to behold, that's for sure. (and, I am daintily, but slowly, following in your footsteps.)
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Real question for you guys.

My knees are prone to pain and I've been afraid of squats with weights. To prevent knee injury I've been trained to avoid letting my knees extend past my toes and using the squat as mostly a glute workout and sitting back with my butt. I do this w/o weights and it seems to work pretty well.

Would you guys agree with that advice??

Thanks for the tips. I want to add leg strength to improve my running speed and overall fitness.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

My knees are prone to pain and I've been afraid of squats with weights. To prevent knee injury I've been trained to avoid letting my knees extend past my toes and using the squat as mostly a glute workout and sitting back with my butt. I do this w/o weights and it seems to work pretty well.

Thanks for the tips. I want to add leg strength to improve my running speed and overall fitness.

Squats should work your butt, thighs, hips, quads, back, core, everything. If you do them wrong all they get is your quads and put stress on your knees. So yes, sit back, go down to the point where your upper legs are just past parallel to the floor (or lower), keep your knees pointed out and the pressure on your heels and outer edge of your foot.

This is long but great:
    http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-squat-parts-1-5/
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Squats should work your butt, thighs, hips, quads, back, core, everything. If you do them wrong all they get is your quads and put stress on your knees. So yes, sit back, go down to the point where your upper legs are just past parallel to the floor (or lower), keep your knees pointed out and the pressure on your heels and outer edge of your foot.

This is long but great:

Thanks! You seem to be the master of squatting disaster!

I'll give it a shot with some dumbells in hand to start.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

This is long but great:

Thanks! You seem to be the master of squatting disaster!

I'll give it a shot with some dumbells in hand to start.

I'd suggest the entire Stronglifts 5x5 program. It's great for beginners and those looking to build a really good base strength.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    bump for later. can't see anything at work
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Try to lift your toes up slightly when you squat to ensure you are sitting back. Increasing thigh strength will actually lend stability to your knees and is recommended by PT's for rehabbing weak knees.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options

Try to lift your toes up slightly when you squat to ensure you are sitting back. Increasing thigh strength will actually lend stability to your knees and is recommended by PT's for rehabbing weak knees.

This is great advise!
    Bump!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later since I can't see it at work.

I bet you look awesome though!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    135# squats totally ruined my pear shaped booty:

back1.jpg

My two year old says she looks exactly like that. She has excellent taste in role models.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

You rock girl!

You've got wicked form!:smile:
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I've been rehabbing a bad knee for eons and both my physiotherapist and PT had me squatting on a bosu ball (ball facing up) to help develop the muscles around my patella (it's misaligned, I'm a genetic freak) for weeks before we started squats on a flat surface. We did that with body weight for 2 weeks, moved up to low weights (10-20 lbs) for a few more weeks before moving on alternating to normal squats with a 45 lb bar and bench squats with 35 lb dumb bells (70 lbs total). Progress has been slow but my knee pain is significantly decreased and my patella tracking problem has greatly improved. I may never run again, but riding a bike seems like it could be in my future once again ;)

Lunges started the same way, but I'm only managing 27.5 lb dumbbells for lunges at the moment.

Both of the above exercises have done wonders for my knee. I only wish I'd started therapy sooner. Instead I'd been convinced for years that the pain was something normal and that I'd have to learn to live with it/manage with meds...

YMMV, but it's worth talking to a PT or physiotherapist about squats and lunges and how they can help improve knee strength.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

I've read that what you want to avoid to reduce knee stress is to not stop before your thighs are parallel to the floor and to not buckle your knees in or out. I think the thing about not letting your knees go over your toes is to make sure you're sitting back into the squat properly.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    In the last month, since I started SL 5x5, I put on an inch too...on my butt. Half an inch on my thighs too. Didn't lose any weight. But I am looking muuuuuch better, ladies and gentlemen. The jiggle is nearly gone, much of the cellulite is gone, love handles are smoothing out, as are the saddlebags. it's a wonderful thing :heart: :heart: :heart: :love:

And increasing those lifts every workout!

Looking good there, Rae!