NO! This is a squat rack!

Options

Replies

• Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options
    I should not have read this thread...now i'm even more terrified to go to the gym for the first time on friday. i was afraid of being laughed at and made fun of for not knowing what im doing, but pissing people for not knowing the 'right way' to do things is even worse

Don't be. 99% of people at the gym haven't got a clue, and people that care what others are doing are extremely rare.
    You've been on here reading, so you probably know more than most.

Anyone on here, or anyone at your gym, will be more than happy to help you.

I've been studying it up for the last two months while trying things out with my standard weights at home, but what I have isn't cutting it and I want to progress.
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options
    I should not have read this thread...now i'm even more terrified to go to the gym for the first time on friday. i was afraid of being laughed at and made fun of for not knowing what im doing, but pissing people for not knowing the 'right way' to do things is even worse

Everyone *****es about something at their gym. Don't make this thread into an excuse.

it's not an excuse, i'm still going to go :)

I was just talking about finding the gym even more intimidating now
  • nutandbutter
    nutandbutter Posts: 447
    Options
    I actually had an elderly man come up to me while I was squatting to ask how many sets I had left so I kind of hurried through them so he could have the rack (actually a power rack, not a squat rack). I gave him the rack and he proceeded to do effin calf raises (didn't even put the bar on his back, just held it). Now I know who actually squats and who wants the rack to do shrugs, so I know if I can take my time or not. My gym also has multiple extra olympic bars so that's not an excuse.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    I actually had an elderly man come up to me while I was squatting to ask how many sets I had left so I kind of hurried through them so he could have the rack (actually a power rack, not a squat rack). I gave him the rack and he proceeded to do effin calf raises (didn't even put the bar on his back, just held it). Now I know who actually squats and who wants the rack to do shrugs, so I know if I can take my time or not. My gym also has multiple extra olympic bars so that's not an excuse.

Offer to let them work in. I know people are more weird in big box gyms about working out alone (from my experience at least), but if they don't want to work in, then there's no reason to hurry for them.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Everyone *****es about something at their gym. Don't make this thread into an excuse.

Definitely don't be scared! Read up on-line (lots of times you can find videos for all sorts of lifts) or ask a personal trainer for a quick overview of what to do. Or, pull the "I'm a cute, young female" card and ask someone. You'd be surprised how willing to help you they are as long as you're open to their advice. Enjoy it!!
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

Well good. :) And the more you get used to the place, the less intimidated you'll be.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I actually had an elderly man come up to me while I was squatting to ask how many sets I had left so I kind of hurried through them so he could have the rack (actually a power rack, not a squat rack).
    Did he ask for your digits?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Meh, don't worry. We're mostly just dorking around in this thread. In reality, most people would be more than happy to help out, especially if you ask. No reason to be intimidated. Glad you're going!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I wokout at anytime and the only thing we have with an olympic bar besides the bench press is the power cage which everybody seems to call the squat rack. Therefore I do my squats and deadlifts in it as well as the occasional rows, military presses, and lunges if I'm wanting to go heavier. I work out early and if there are some people in there who might use it then I don't stay on it long and just do squats or deadlifts. Sucks not having more than one or other areas to load a bar. It's usually just me in there though when I do those exercises.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    40120.jpg
    oh crap. i've been dead lifting with this thing ^^ because A) that's where the trainer showed me how to do it and B) i've seen a lot of muscly guys DLing there too so i figured it was ok :ohwell:

but i think my main reason for DLing there is probably a bad reason... when my i start to lose my grip i'd rather put the bar back up on the holder when i rest, before i try another set. because when i dead lift i guess i don't bring the bar ALL the way to the ground, it almost touches but just barely. whenever i try to lift it from the ground i just have these visions of my spine snapping in two or something, it just feels like such an awkward maneuver. i guess if i keep the momentum going, and don't let the bar touch the ground completely, it's a little less dangerous feeling.... i'm assuming i'm doing it wrong? do i need to be setting the bar completely on the ground before i lift it up again?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not a deadlift unless it's from the ground.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Ya, that ^

I have no idea why you would do a DL from above knee height.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    40120.jpg
    oh crap. i've been dead lifting with this thing ^^ because A) that's where the trainer showed me how to do it and B) i've seen a lot of muscly guys DLing there too so i figured it was ok :ohwell:

but i think my main reason for DLing there is probably a bad reason... when my i start to lose my grip i'd rather put the bar back up on the holder when i rest, before i try another set. because when i dead lift i guess i don't bring the bar ALL the way to the ground, it almost touches but just barely. whenever i try to lift it from the ground i just have these visions of my spine snapping in two or something, it just feels like such an awkward maneuver. i guess if i keep the momentum going, and don't let the bar touch the ground completely, it's a little less dangerous feeling.... i'm assuming i'm doing it wrong? do i need to be setting the bar completely on the ground before i lift it up again?

When you "deadlift" it are you starting from the safety catch/side rails? Because that's not really a deadlift then. Deadlifts start from the equivalent of a 45lb. plate from the floor. In other words, the bar itself should be about 22.5cm off the floor I believe (assuming the typical 45 is 45cm in diameter.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

Ya, that ^

I have no idea why you would do a DL from above knee height.

Well, there are Rack Pulls, but those are usually below the knee as well.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    When you "deadlift" it are you starting from the safety catch/side rails? Because that's not really a deadlift then. Deadlifts start from the equivalent of a 45lb. plate from the floor. In other words, the bar itself should be about 22.5cm off the floor I believe (assuming the typical 45 is 45cm in diameter.
    no, i take several steps back before i begin the exercise.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Holy mother of jesus I would break my shins if I tried that.

*clonk**clonk**clonk*
  • nutandbutter
    Options

Offer to let them work in. I know people are more weird in big box gyms about working out alone (from my experience at least), but if they don't want to work in, then there's no reason to hurry for them.

I'm familiar enough with the guy now to know he's slow when it comes to working out, so he can wait. :wink:
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

When you start the exercise, where is it starting from? Is it starting from the top like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0
    If so, that's called a Romanian Deadlift.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Holy mother of jesus I would break my shins if I tried that.

*clonk**clonk**clonk*
    erm - i'm standing upright when i take the steps back. you know, so the bar is waist high.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I actually had an elderly man come up to me while I was squatting to ask how many sets I had left so I kind of hurried through them so he could have the rack (actually a power rack, not a squat rack).
    Did he ask for your digits?

Bahaha, no.