What to do when stressed? Angry? Sad?

Options
I do fine and then life hits me hard and I can't stand the emotion. So I eat. I learned to do this at the age of 10 and not matter what, I fall back on this crutch and last week I put on 8 pds!

My group says to sip tea. Holy Cow. If that worked for me, I wouldn't be a compulsive overeater for the last 40 years. Any real suggestions for a person on an extremely low income?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I find that going outside for a walk, even for 15-20 minutes, clears my head and makes me feel a lot better.

Bonus: I can't indulge in any comfort-food cravings while I am outside and walking.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house. Away from the food. Get some fresh air. Go for a walk and clear your head.
  • JellybeanIcecream
    Options
    I can relate. My usual tendency when stressed out is to reach for a glass of wine...and once I've had a few of those no snackfood in the pantry is safe.

So now I'm foregoing the wine, because it's a "gateway drug" for me to food!

And I try to make sure there is nothing particularly "tempting" (from a junk food perspective) in the pantry. Just good healthy food.

I also like to put in my headphones, listen to some music and go for a walk/ride (on the bike track obviously!)
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    For one thing putting 1/2 tsp of hemp on my food keeps me full for 4 hours.

Now I know this sounds crazy, but besides physical activity which helps, try to get yourself to face the problem, and think of ways to help you deal with / overcome the problem.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I usually either listen to some music of a certain type in hopes it may calm me down, or find some way to take my mind off what I'm thinking about by either playing some VGs or reading a book. If I'm really upset I may take out my frustrations during a workout with some heavier than normal weights.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Sprint or *kitten*. The latter usually wins out. lol
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I put in my earphones, crank up the music, and go for a walk.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk! It's worked for me and I have a LOT of stress! It clears my mind, eases stress and I've lost 33 lbs doing it! I try to take my dog or listen to music unless I'm totally into nature that day. :)
    If that doesn't work, I clean house. It needs done anyway.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Try learning a different coping method to handle your stress, anger, etc. Basically, you want to train yourself to do something other than eat when the emotions hit. Easier said than done, I know. :flowerforyou:

Things I do are: exercise, go for a walk, do some "chore" around the house to distract me, read a book, play a video game, call a friend.

I always ask myself if I'm actually hungry and if these calories are really worth eating right now.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    also writing helps. if you angry or sad about something, writing helps you to work out whatever is going on that eating wont. sometimes when you see it on paper, you can work on the issue.
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can relate. My usual tendency when stressed out is to reach for a glass of wine...and once I've had a few of those no snackfood in the pantry is safe.

So now I'm foregoing the wine, because it's a "gateway drug" for me to food!

And I try to make sure there is nothing particularly "tempting" (from a junk food perspective) in the pantry. Just good healthy food.

I also like to put in my headphones, listen to some music and go for a walk/ride (on the bike track obviously!)

^lol, at "gateway drug." I know exactly what you mean. ;)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    i went through a really emotional state for about a year. Anxiety, panic attacks. It was really weird, I put on 30lbs that I had lost the previous year, but the only thing that made me feel any better when I would get into one of these states was getting outside. It's relaxing, you breath fresh air, hear birds and see other animals. Your worries and cares go away plus your getting exercise. Good Luck to you, try jogging to let off extra steam!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Drink a hot herbal tea
    Have a warm bath or shower
    Go for a relaxing walk somewhere nice (waterfalls, mountains, creeks, rainforests)
    Drink soda or sparkling water with a dash of lemon
    Read a book
    Play a game
    Hang out with friends
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Work it out! Boxing, kickboxing, fast bike ride, run just move!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    my tendency is to not eat when i feel those emotions... :/
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    use *kitten* every other word, use *kitten* every other word, cry and use *kitten* every other word.

That and put kids to bed early!! Possibly run through the neighborhood naked and screaming, but the neighbors may not like it (minus the one who would).
  • osutuba
    osutuba Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm trying going out for walks. Other times I head out to the trail with my bike and just ride and ride and ride. It helps me feel like I'm getting away and let's me think about other things like "Oh look at all the turtles sitting on the logs."
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Any type of exercise (weight training,walk etc.)
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I put in my earphones, crank up the music, and go for a walk.

Or go out for a run.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been an emotional eater for as long as I can remember.

If you're feeling sad, I would suggest doing comforting things - like having a hot bath with candles etc. Perhaps a low cal hot chocolate with a good book?

If you're feeling angry, it might be worth doing something more energetic such as exercise or for me - singing!

I like to write out what's going on for me so I do spend a lot of time writing/ranting. x