How to get through 30 DS soreness?

Options

Replies

• shanshepard
    shanshepard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    oh my ..same issue here ...third day will be today.. i can work through it but the next day when i am sitting at my desk job.. when it's time to get up my legs are so stiff
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It gets better....promise! The first week I had a terrible time even sitting down to go pee:) But it really does get better!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Stretch and drink lots of water.

I first read this as "Stretch and drink lots of beer."

I'm all: AWWWYEAHHHH, I'm gonna like this 30DS thing!

:drinker:
  • stolenmyoverture
    Options
    agreeing with what a lot of people have already said, just push through it! also maybe do a bit more stretching than they do after the workout on the dvd...that never seemed like enough to me...
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi. We have just started up a group - Most of us are on day 1, 2 or starting very soon if anyone would like to join for support, motivation or a rant, lol. It's called Starting 30 Day Shred May 2012. I am on day 2 and yes SORE. Hurts when I walk up the stairs, but even worse coming down. I can't wait for day 4 or 5 when it eases :smile:
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here, it gets better after about 4 days. When you're used to doing it a few days a week, it won't hurt anymore. Even if I take 3 days off, I don't get sore when I start up again because I'm so used to it.

Keep it up, Level 3 is great!! I really feel that one in my legs & abs. :happy:
  • starkers80
    starkers80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. We have just started up a group - Most of us are on day 1, 2 or starting very soon if anyone would like to join for support, motivation or a rant, lol. It's called Starting 30 Day Shred May 2012. I am on day 2 and yes SORE. Hurts when I walk up the stairs, but even worse coming down. I can't wait for day 4 or 5 when it eases :smile:

Just joined. Thanks!
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've just finished day 3 of it and boy my thighs are killing me but I won't let it get the better of me!!

Might join the group though.

Can the link to the thread be posted because a few come up under that name of thread.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and coconut water will help after workouts. Hang in there! Trust the ones who have been there. It will get better. You are already making pogress!
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
  • ThinMint_Stac
    ThinMint_Stac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hot hot bath, Advil and rest!!! I am on day 10! after day four you will feel sooooo much better!! You can do it!!!
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    it gets better on day four!

AGREED!!! Keep going! YOU CAN DO IT! The quick results are SOOOOOOOOOO worth the pain ;)
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    hydrate and keep going it gets better!
  • boys4rmine
    boys4rmine Posts: 53
    Options
    Stretch and drink lots of water.

^this!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all of your comments, so what you all are basically saying is... that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger? :smokin:

Because WOW, am I ever sore when I do that DVD too. A good sore, but nonetheless very very sore. :sad:

Cheers to hearing it won't last forever and the pay off is worth it:drinker: :tongue:
  • teeens77
    teeens77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I drink Gatorade during and after the workout, it helps TREMENDOUSLY with getting through it. And everyone else is right....push through the first few days of each workout. Everyday you'll fell better.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I hate the responses on this thread. I don't think they are very true because the people who have done any intense workout don't remember the day after or the next FEW days in my case. Granted I am sitting at 250lbs so someone who is better health than me may think way differently!

The 30DS was a complete shock to my body. OBVIOUSLY! I started with 5lb weights (boy that was mistake! Just got some 3lb weights) Let me tell you about on my soreness....My back, stomach, thighs, the muscle between your wrist and elbow (sorry I'm not technical), and the muscle from my elbow to my shoulder (bicep?) were sooooooo sore the day after. I still worked out though! The next day, I figured if I worked out, the muscles would loosen up and make it better and pretty much adapt. I was so wrong. I did the Biggest Loser: At Home Challenge..a lot of squats and the strength uses weights. Boy, I was in a lot of pain on Monday. On Monday, I couldn't straighten out my arm! It hurt so bad. Tuesday, I realized I had to stretch out my arm in order for the pain to subside. (I'm a newbie, can't you tell??!?!) Now, Wednesday and I feel better, but slight pain in the muscle on the back of my arm above my elbow. I am doing the 30 day shred tomorrow morning. No matter what.

BTW Ibuprofen/advil/tylenol doesn't help (at least in my case)...Your best best is stretching it out, no matter how much pain you are in doing it). I did Icy/Hot and that did help.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I hate the responses on this thread. I don't think they are very true because the people who have done any intense workout don't remember the day after or the next FEW days in my case. Granted I am sitting at 250lbs so someone who is better health than me may think way differently!

The 30DS was a complete shock to my body. OBVIOUSLY! I started with 5lb weights (boy that was mistake! Just got some 3lb weights) Let me tell you about on my soreness....My back, stomach, thighs, the muscle between your wrist and elbow (sorry I'm not technical), and the muscle from my elbow to my shoulder (bicep?) were sooooooo sore the day after. I still worked out though! The next day, I figured if I worked out, the muscles would loosen up and make it better and pretty much adapt. I was so wrong. I did the Biggest Loser: At Home Challenge..a lot of squats and the strength uses weights. Boy, I was in a lot of pain on Monday. On Monday, I couldn't straighten out my arm! It hurt so bad. Tuesday, I realized I had to stretch out my arm in order for the pain to subside. (I'm a newbie, can't you tell??!?!) Now, Wednesday and I feel better, but slight pain in the muscle on the back of my arm above my elbow. I am doing the 30 day shred tomorrow morning. No matter what.

BTW Ibuprofen/advil/tylenol doesn't help (at least in my case)...Your best best is stretching it out, no matter how much pain you are in doing it). I did Icy/Hot and that did help.

I started out at 275lbs doing intense workouts (Crossfit). I remember vividly. lol I actually kept a journal, too, so I can go back and see my progress. When I started I couldn't do any cardio more than 30 seconds without gasping for air and feeling like my heart was going to jump out of my chest.

My trainer told me that what would help the soreness was stretching (lots and LOTS of stretching), water (lots of water!), and protein within 60 minutes of finishing my workouts. And he was right. It did take about 5 days, but within the second week I stopped being sore the next day no matter how hard I pushed it.

edited to add that I know it worked because the times when I *didn't* follow this advice I definitely felt it more!

Honestly, I think even starting with 3lb weights for a beginner is too much. No wonder you were/are so sore! It sounds like you overdid it the first time and so it is taking you longer to heal. You should always push yourself, but you can over-train, too.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I remember like it was yesterday because it was only 3 months ago for me. I was 201.8 and had not done any kind of exercise in 10 years. Yes I was in pain for 3 or 4 days but my will to do it was greater than my pain and my pain was so bad I would almost cry every time I sat on the pot to pee!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Nope I remember it pretty well, I did it a couple of months ago, and it was the first intense workout I had ever done at the time, before that all I did was zumba.

I'm sitting here right now sore from another JM dvd, 6 week 6 pack. But the pain is a good pain, it means the workout is doing what it's supposed to.

Honestly, the only thing that worked for me was to do the next day of the shred. It lossened me up a bit so I could get through my day.