Why We Get Fat

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Also again only applying what I read in the first post if those claims were in fact true. In pretty much every industrialized nation the conclusion would be there would be no skinny people everyone would be fat.
    Why only industrialized nations. If carbs are what cause people to get fat I don't think a macronutrient can identify nations let alone industrialized ones. j/k
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I was trying to cut out 3rd world nations where starvation is a issue.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I was trying to cut out 3rd world nations where starvation is a issue.
    It's not about calories it's about carbs, at least that's what taubes alludes to.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Also again only applying what I read in the first post if those claims were in fact true. In pretty much every industrialized nation the conclusion would be there would be no skinny people everyone would be fat.

I find Taubes' argument more believable than conventional wisdom. The big problem with Taubes' argument is that there is too much evidence against it, at least the way he has worded it. If you read some of the other pro-low carb bloggers and researchers, most of them don't fully accept Taubes' viewpoints, but just parts of them.

Well right now we have an unprecedented obesity epidemic. Over 30% of Americans are obese, and within the next 18 years that number is projected to hit 42%. That right there is pretty significant. Now people constantly site sedentary lifestyle as a main culprit, but this problem largely began around 1980, way before video games were that popular and before the internet even existed. Most people didn't know what the internet was until probably mid 1990s. Plus there is little evidence that exercise makes that much difference in managing weight.

Then of course is the evidence that body fat storage is highly regulated by the body. So I find it hard to believe that we are really mentally in that much control over our calorie intake. And with that, I question why 30 years ago many people had control over their calorie intake, but now so many people don't. Is there some outbreak of mental weakness going around or could it be our food supply is affecting our bodies to make us overeat?
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am all for cutting back on carbs. I try to keep mine relatively low and focus on more protein... but I don't think whole grains are going to make me fat. Sugar, ice cream and brownies outside of moderation will!

What is the difference though? When they break down, it all becomes glucose anyways?

What makes whole grain a healthier carbohydrate than a tablespoon of pure sugar?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am all for cutting back on carbs. I try to keep mine relatively low and focus on more protein... but I don't think whole grains are going to make me fat. Sugar, ice cream and brownies outside of moderation will!

What is the difference though? When they break down, it all becomes glucose anyways?

What makes whole grain a healthier carbohydrate than a tablespoon of pure sugar?

That's exactly it, once they are broken down there really is no difference.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I find Taubes' argument more believable than conventional wisdom. The big problem with Taubes' argument is that there is too much evidence against it, at least the way he has worded it. If you read some of the other pro-low carb bloggers and researchers, most of them don't fully accept Taubes' viewpoints, but just parts of them.

Well right now we have an unprecedented obesity epidemic. Over 30% of Americans are obese, and within the next 18 years that number is projected to hit 42%. That right there is pretty significant. Now people constantly site sedentary lifestyle as a main culprit, but this problem largely began around 1980, way before video games were that popular and before the internet even existed. Most people didn't know what the internet was until probably mid 1990s. Plus there is little evidence that exercise makes that much difference in managing weight.

Then of course is the evidence that body fat storage is highly regulated by the body. So I find it hard to believe that we are really mentally in that much control over our calorie intake. And with that, I question why 30 years ago many people had control over their calorie intake, but now so many people don't. Is there some outbreak of mental weakness going around or could it be our food supply is affecting our bodies to make us overeat?
    This is one way of looking at it, and to me, it's looking for confirmation that there is some vodoo happening that's making people fat and that vodoo is carbs apparently. First of all exercise will never catch up to a bad diet. If someone has been sedentary most of their lives, introducing it to help with weight loss probably isn't going to get them very far as opposed to someone that has exercise as a foundation in their lives, or changing just their diet. There are just more people now living a sedentary lifestyle due to the changind dynamics of the basic family unit.......lifestyle starts at birth. I wonder how many reasons why people might overeat......I'm sure carbs will be included in that long list.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you want a really good read on "why we get fat" try Fat: The Story of My Life with My Body, by Jean Braithwaite. Brilliant, and a very absorbing narrative, too. If you are a 50 Shades of Grey kind of person, you will like the naughty parts.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I dont know go back 30 years look at our diet compared to our physically activity level. I was born in 68 so when I was preteen I would ride my bike over to a friends house a mile or two away we would play in the barn/build forts in the woods as long as I was home by night fall all was well. And this was before take out, fast food all over the place. Nowadays its have mom or dad drive me over to a friends house order pizza have icecream and play xbox. We and our children eat like crap and live a seditary lifestyle thats whe generally speaking weve gotton fatter. Maybe im too simple. I still eat too much carbs sometimes Ill have 4 or 6 cookies, a bowl of ice cream hell even chineese take out but thats a few times a month. It used to be a few times a week.. But I excercise on a regular bases and pretty much eliminate all fast food. I try to eat 80 to 90 percent clean and ive lost about 85lbs and kept it off. It has worked so far for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

It may be a few things. Longer work hours means less "dinner making" time with family, easy access to fast food since most are within a mile of where you live, portions being enormous when you eat out, entertainment (not just video games) but TV, DVD, computer, etc., fear of parents letting their kids play outside, longer commuting time, lack of sleep, etc. There's such a myriad of variables that may contribute.
    I've eaten the same way since the 80's a have relatively stayed the same weight, so it ain't the food IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I find Taubes' argument more believable than conventional wisdom.

The only thing I could think of when I read this is the movie title "Dumb and Dumber". :laugh:
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options

It may be a few things. Longer work hours means less "dinner making" time with family, easy access to fast food since most are within a mile of where you live, portions being enormous when you eat out, entertainment (not just video games) but TV, DVD, computer, etc., fear of parents letting their kids play outside, longer commuting time, lack of sleep, etc. There's such a myriad of variables that may contribute.
    I've eaten the same way since the 80's a have relatively stayed the same weight, so it ain't the food IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^ agree a lot with this. Look at the food we can buy in a grocery store today vs years ago... 'value added', prepackaged foods that have an unbelievably high calorie density as opposed to basics and baking/cooking ingredients. Look at the quality(?) of restaurant food today versus the restaurants of even 20 years ago - some meals in restaurants have freaked me right out as I've been doing more research on what I'm eating now. Look at the portion sizes today! Extra size that for me please and add a jumbo jumbo sugar cola for me!! I love junk food from time to time and I can definitely be a big eater! (ask me about all you can eat rib nights!!) but some things really are shocking on some menus... Full daily calorie counts on one plate!... Add to that more sedentary lifestyles, more driving, less walking, more 'stress', more shuttling children around so they can do everything - less of them taking care of their multiple siblings and chores... The world has changed, and the 'average' has changed with it.... To be honest it seems almost evident that it should be happening....

Thanks for all the great links and info everyone - great thread for later reading!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm going to write a book called Why We Take Dumps and I will theorize that we don't take dumps because we eat food, we eat food because we poop.

I'm going to be rich.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    and Internet is the only thing that makes you sedentary? :)
    there's another thing actually, but it seems that in US people are taking it for granted so much that they'll rather think of internet then of - cars. From what I've seen of US and from what I've heard of friends who have lived there for some time, US infrastructure is extremely pedestrian-unfriendly, and even cyclist-unfriendly. People simply don't walk any more. My partner just came back from LA and he was complaining about huge lack of pedestrian zones/paths. A friend of mine lived in mid-west for a year, she didn't have a driving licence and had huge problems doing shopping since everything is designed for cars. She even was openly told that it's her own fault since "everyone should have a car". As far as I'm concerned, this is far greater problem than internet and carbs together. When I was eating 500g of white bread daily (+ pastry from bakeries) and looked like I did on that profile picture, I was also walking for at least half an hour every morning to get that bread. No big shopping malls, no huge shopping once a week - just up and down the hill, up and down the stairs every day, to get your food in local bakeries and small shops. However, westernisation of lifestyle, opening of huge shopping malls and disappearance of small local business are taking their toll in all developed world.
    where did you get this about little evidence?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Why so doughy Taubes?
    [img]http://www.diseaseproof.com/GTaubes - Doughy.JPG[/img]
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why so doughy Taubes?
    [img]http://www.diseaseproof.com/GTaubes - Doughy.JPG[/img]

Have you seen Jimmy Moore lately?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

That's exactly it, once they are broken down there really is no difference.

Nutrients.
    Pure sugar is just energy. You are at least getting vitamins/minerals out of whole grains.

Edit to add: Err well grains in general for that matter
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to my complex carbs and my running. : )
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've read Taubes, Pollan, McDonald, Aragon... and a few others. Taubes & Pollan are journalists/writers. Aragon is a nutritionist, educator and works with athletes. Lyle is a physiologist and has worked with athletes, from what I understand.

I respect Pollan more than Taubes. Taubes seems very biased and is a sensationalist. But these two are WRITERS and are coming from a different angle and have different agendas than Aragon & McDonald, who seem to value peer reviewed studies & science over grasping for theory.