Six months in - 40% there, and lessons learned

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Very inspirational post.

The important thing to keep in mind is that you are designing your LIFESTYLE here, not just losing weight. Don't give up anything you don't intend to give up permanently, because if you go back to it "after the diet" you'll go back to your old weight. Learn moderation in all the things you enjoy, but find a way to enjoy them.
  • bassanne
    bassanne Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks, your post is so how I feel. I too had the big loss the first month and then set my plan around that. Then when I did not lose that much the next months I was disappointed. Now, like you, I'm for the small steps, 1 pound gone is 1 pound gone. Thanks, and you are doing awesome, keep it up, your worth it.
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    I think 40 pounds in 6 months is great -- as you said, it's 40 pounds you don't have anymore! Great, practical advice, and all very, very easy to forget. Thank you for the tips and congratulations on your progress!
  • shawneez75
    shawneez75 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :drinker: What an amazing accomplishment! Love the words of encouragement. I too joined MFP 6 months ago and am only at 37 pounds lost and feel like I am going at a slower pace than most. I can say that I have stuck to this longer than anything else I have tried and have made this a life long journey and the weight loss at this point is a bonus. Stay with it and you WILL get to where you are meant to be. Thanks again for your inspiration, it was so needed today!:happy:
  • tes8612
    tes8612 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I was getting really frustrated this week and really needed this! Great advice and perspective!
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on your journey so far!

Great perspective and motivating post. Thank you for sharing. :)
  • rugbygirlca
    rugbygirlca Posts: 85
    Options
    Awesome work and AMAZING post. I am a firm believer in the slow, steady process of weight loss. In many cases, if you lose weight quickly it will have been more through a 'diet', rather than through a total lifestyle overhaul. If you have truly changed your life, you'll be much more likely to keep the weight off for good.

The closer you get to your goal, the harder it will get. Keep going.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks to everyone that responded! I was wondering if anyone would find my ramblings helpful.

I just know that the hardest thing I've always had to work through when I've done this before was getting past the mental blocks - the frustration, the impatience (ESPECIALLY the impatience), the lack of motivation once the novelty wore off.

I knew that if I wanted to succeed this time, I needed to get myself in a different place mentally to keep me inspired to continue.

It's worked so far, but I'm not done yet. I'm sure the next six months will have its own set of challenges for me to work through. To which I say - BRING IT ON.
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    I HAVE to live a little. This isn't a fad diet, it's a lifestyle. And I want beer and pizza and pasta to be parts of my life!

Awesome post, great job!
  • kellisej
    kellisej Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for your inspirational post. I am restarting my quest of losing 30 lbs. Your practical advice gives me hope and desire to press forward. I appreciate you stating that we need to celebrate the small milestones and n ot to beat ourselves up when it does not always turn exactly the way we want things.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post and reminding me and everyone else to exercise patience.....Rome wasn't built in a day.

We WILL succeed!!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    you are fantastic! You've achieved a huge amount and you are really sorted :happy:

I like the visualisation thing too. My five year old stood on the scales at the weekend and she weighs 45lb. So you've lost a five year old girl! WTG

So have YOU - well done!
    Thank you. Very inspirational post.

The important thing to keep in mind is that you are designing your LIFESTYLE here, not just losing weight. Don't give up anything you don't intend to give up permanently, because if you go back to it "after the diet" you'll go back to your old weight. Learn moderation in all the things you enjoy, but find a way to enjoy them.

Exactly right - this is about developing new habits, and embracing them, not because I HAVE to, but because I WANT to.
    Awesome work and AMAZING post. I am a firm believer in the slow, steady process of weight loss. In many cases, if you lose weight quickly it will have been more through a 'diet', rather than through a total lifestyle overhaul. If you have truly changed your life, you'll be much more likely to keep the weight off for good.

The closer you get to your goal, the harder it will get. Keep going.

Yes, I'm fully expecting that the NEXT 45 pounds will be harder to lose than the FIRST 45 pounds. I'm already planning changes to my exercise routine to shake things up and either prevent the next plateau or blast through it.
  • spudlovie
    spudlovie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your amazing, I loved reading your posts. I'm going to lose weight low and steady. I WILL not give up on carbs. I will never stop eating pizza or pasta. Heck I just had a frosty. For me, I see a difference in how I'm thinking. I eat one or two slices of pizza and stop and I usually have the calories saved to do so. Tonight I got a Jr frosty. It was itty bitty but it was enough to satisfy. This is a life long journey. Thank you for posting
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • elsrws
    elsrws Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed today, THANKYOU - I have printed your post and it will now live on my motivation board at work :)
  • ImaKnitter67
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Just thank you for that positive note in my day. You keep on keepin' on, guy!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Awesome inspiration!!!:flowerforyou:

Slainte!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wonderful, inspirational post. LOADS of wisdom in this. Thank you so much for posting! You're doing great, and getting there the right way. It must give you confidence that you will succeed, and keep the weight off permanently. KUDOS!
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Great attitude, and 45 pounds is AWESOME! Keep it up!
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i have lost 90 lbs, but it has taken me over two years to get there. I know I shouldn't think of this as a race. Lately I have been happy with any downward progress. 26 to go:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!