I'm sick of the term "skinny-fat"

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm going to end this debate right now: You all should do what I say and look the way I say is most attractive. Then we'll all be happy. Because, of course, my opinions and tastes are all that matter.

Isn't that the way it goes?
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    If we're in the obese range, we're not "skinny-fat", we're just fat.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    if I wanna do cardio instead of lifting "heavy" then get off my back about it! This is still the beginning of my journey, let me get comfortable with the fact that I am even moving my body anywhere besides from the bed to the couch. I haven't lifted one single weight yet and I've lost 30 lbs.

30 lbs down from 279 is healthier...any way you look at it.

That is all.

I think the reason that comes up, is that for a lot of people that don't start their weight loss efforts with a solid resistance training component are ultimately unhappy with the results when they reach their desired weight. I can certainly understand how frustrating it would be to be making all this progress and feel like people are undermining your efforts. Congratulations on your progress thus far, and I hope you continue to see good results. I would suggest keeping the concept in the back of your mind if at some point you start to feel that your progress doesn't have you where you should be, but beyond that keep doing what makes you happy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would suggest keeping the concept in the back of your mind if at some point you start to feel that your progress doesn't have you where you should be, but beyond that keep doing what makes you happy.

Yup. Keeping an open mind is a wonderful thing.

Two years ago, I had no interest in running - because I thought I just plain sucked at it - and actually had a mental block against all kinds of formal exercise. I preferred (and still prefer) activities. Walking, running or riding on a stationary machine, or picking something up to put it back down again, just seemed really stupid to me. I'd rather go hiking or dancing, or use my muscles rearranging furniture, landscaping or doing major home repairs.

But what I've come to realize is that the "stupid" exercises make doing the activities I enjoy much more enjoyable. Lots more fun when you don't tire out as easily or hurt the next day. I still don't particularly enjoy lifting weights, but I recognize that the benefits outweigh any grievance I have against it. I don't like shaving my legs, either, but I like having smooth skin more than stubble.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Endurance runners may have large burns but take into consideration how long they run. I've burned up to 1,000 in 50 mins doing HIIT or Circuit Training with weights. Plus I get the benefit of strengthening and improving my bone density, something that typically doesn't occur when merely running.

i'm calling BS on this. there's no way you're burning 20 calories a minute at 160 lb bodyweight.
    I train with heavy weight, pullups with a weight vest on, do weighthed dips, etc. You wanna call BS, take a look at my profile pics chump!

How are you estimating burn for this activity?

(And I'm unlikely to check out the anything of someone who uses the term 'chumps'. Sigh.)

Polar FT7
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Long distance running is associated with weakening bones. .
    Wrong. Exactly the opposite is true. Long distance running is associated with increased bone density.

Until you quote your source, your post is as good as "I'm rubber and you're glue". Note, there is a sourced comment on this matter below yours that indicates too much long distance running is associated with bone loss.

More so, my point is that weight training is very good at building bone. It is NEVER associated with loss of bone.
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/255/9/1147.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1446719/
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Long distance running is associated with weakening bones. .
    Wrong. Exactly the opposite is true. Long distance running is associated with increased bone density.

Until you quote your source, your post is as good as "I'm rubber and you're glue". Note, there is a sourced comment on this matter below yours that indicates too much long distance running is associated with bone loss.

More so, my point is that weight training is very good at building bone. It is NEVER associated with loss of bone.
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/255/9/1147.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1446719/

Actually anything that is high impact causes an increase in bone density. Once again, there is no need to play the my activity is better than your activity game.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120505/Load-bearing-sports-may-protect-young-men-from-osteoporosis.aspx
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I think it is awesome an article was put up to trump what I said about running and bone loss. Except that it was on load bearing sports protecting MEN from osteoporosis. Load bearing sports not really limiting itself to running (and perhaps including weightlifting which I say I prefer), and men not being all that susceptible to osteoporosis, and, me being a woman with a family history of osteoporosis, it really isn't germaine.

There is this report, which I will admit generalizes to sports including rowing really quickly, but it notes the different effects on bones of (what I might call excessive) cardiovascular training in female athletes resulting in disrupted hormones and, hence, loss of bone density. I have never seen a similar risk noted for excessive or moderate or any amount of strength training: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1004301/?page=1

As to the "my exercise is better than your exercise" accusation, I want to be clear that I think people who love marathoning and aren't doing it so much they are anemic or experiencing over training injuries or have dangerously low body fat or are internally bleeding or told to stop by their doctors, should continue (I personally know marathoners with each of the downsides I just listed, I'm just sayin). I said to the OP if she finds cardio more rewarding, yay her.And yay you, too. You do you. But I also clarified what my fitness goals are, and where my fitness measures are. I have low blood pressure, low resting heart rate, low cholesterol, and I don't enjoy a long run. I'm prone to anemia. I do have a family history of osteoporosis, I appreciate the incremental accomplishments involved in lifting, I like to be able to lift and accomplish in real life (gardening, working around the house, tough muddering whatever), so FOR ME lifting is more in line with 1) my goals 2) my needs from fitness and 3) what I'm motivated/willing to do.

I'll do what's best for me, you do what you want to do, best for you or not, you're gonna be the judge of that. But lets be serious, for the fitness concerns *I* have, strength training is best. Cardiovascular exercises may be great even for my priorities, but they are not without downsides that simply don't exist in what I *am* doing.
  • Semperfione
    Semperfione Posts: 109
    Options
    I agree, you have to do this the way it works for you. Your doing great, some walking is a good way to get going. I feel better doing my walks when ever I can get them in;

Wishing you all the best. Your know your limits, don't let others sway you if you know what you need and it works.

Rob
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to say that I'm not anywhere near as hostile to running as the coardi-folks are to strength. Again, do what you want that works for you.

However, I was looking at cultivating the distance runner in me. I was on a 10K running plan when I was offered to join a group doing the tough mudder. Now I'll be going for 11 miles, and I'm more than a bit disappointed that I will be very unlikely to run that whole 11 miles. But I'll also have to do some pretty challenging obstacles that ALSO require strength. So strength has been a focus, though I run too, admittedly not as much as I'd intended. I'm very proud that I expect I will surmount all of the obstacles. That's a win. Not everyone is gonna do that. the distance runners will do great, but things will be hard for them. I'll be good at some stuff that maybe the distance runners on the team have a hard time with, but the running distance will challenge me. Whatevers.

Most of the lifters I know do something cardio too. Usually a short HIIT session, but generally (not always) both. EVen New Rules puts some running into the plan after saying all it does against steady-state cardio.

So this training I've been doing for a mixed event has highlighted for me that really, the strength side is more interesting. So while I was considering building to a marathon before, now, it just doesn't interest me. That said, a marathon is an amazing accomplishment that garners my respect. Of course, if I say what my recent lifts were and how they compare to my body weight, I'll get no similar or scaled level of respect from some of the folks around here. Ill get "you're gonna get a man chest" or "eww gross, I don't think my man wants to cuddle up next to a hard body" or some similar stupid ****. But it remains, yay you on your marathon.

But geez, I come onto a thread and tell a woman who want to do different exercises than I do, that yay her and that's great. I explain why I choose differently, but reassert that it is cool she's doing what she's doing and no one should jump on her. But because I explained why I do what I do, some cardio guys don't like it and they're jumping on me. I find that totally ironic.

So when I say, do what you want to do and what is good for you, I mean all your exercise choices save jumping on other people who exercise their choices.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just a word of caution: if your body doesn't have much muscle mass (lean or otherwise), it will be harder to fit into what most people consider an 'ideal bodytype'

Not saying it's right, just the truth. Muscle you build with weights will help create a new structure for your skinnier self.

--- That being said, do what makes you happy, because that is all that really matters.

Well this all depends on what activities the person does really.

Somebody who does a lot of long distance running may find it to their detriment if they go for heavy lifting and try to build lots of muscles. Muscles take extra oxygen, extra oxygen to intake means a higher heartrate when under exertion and a higher heartrate when running is not something that is ideal, especially if that higher heartrate exists before you even start the run.

People are placing far too much emphasis on lifting heavy and building muscles, the fact remains that as long as somebody moves about, their muscles will not diminish.
  • Di3012
    Options
    if I wanna do cardio instead of lifting "heavy" then get off my back about it! This is still the beginning of my journey, let me get comfortable with the fact that I am even moving my body anywhere besides from the bed to the couch. I haven't lifted one single weight yet and I've lost 30 lbs.

30 lbs down from 279 is healthier...any way you look at it.

That is all.

Hell I don't lift heavy and have no intention of doing so. All my exercise is cardio (running and cycling) and I can assure people that I am not skinny fat. It's a stupid bloody term anyway.
  • Di3012
    Options
    You will wish you had taken that advice because when you lift you are toning your body . Good luck with that:drinker:

ANY exercise tones the body, use the muscles and they will work efficiently and be useful. Sit on one's *kitten* and they will become next to useless.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    People should do cardio and resistance training not only because of building up muscle or loosing weight, also to prevent osteoporosis, as we get older. There are many healthy benefits.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Isn't 'skinny fat' referring to very skinny people who are unhealthy? So whilst they aren't fat, because of their lifestyle it's more like a 'fat' persons?

Not sure what this has to do with cardio V lifting? Except that for skinny people they don't need the cardio to lose weight, they need the lifting to get a better body?

I'm with this! I do both, alternating each day and the phrase doesn't bother me one bit because I had the above thought on it however, if someone is refering to people who only do cardio as skinny fat then it's just plain rude....not everyone wants muscles actualyl probably the majority of people simply want to look skinny and have anice tummy (those of us who have had children). Whatever you do to get there is up to you isnt it?
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Isn't 'skinny fat' referring to very skinny people who are unhealthy? So whilst they aren't fat, because of their lifestyle it's more like a 'fat' persons?

Not sure what this has to do with cardio V lifting? Except that for skinny people they don't need the cardio to lose weight, they need the lifting to get a better body?

I'm with this! I do both, alternating each day and the phrase doesn't bother me one bit because I had the above thought on it however, if someone is refering to people who only do cardio as skinny fat then it's just plain rude....not everyone wants muscles actualyl probably the majority of people simply want to look skinny and have anice tummy (those of us who have had children). Whatever you do to get there is up to you isnt it?

Yeah I never thought the term was supposed to describe anyone fit nd healthy, regardless of their methods or underlying LBM. I thought it was a term to describe people who appeared slim but were unfit, and unhealthy.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree. I too am focusing on cardio and running and not doing any weight training. For me this works right now. When I lose enough weight I will throw in some weights. I also think the term "skinny fat" are those people who are skinny but have no muscle tone due to a life of no exercise at all. I personally think muscle is sexier :love:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Who are all of these people that are harassing you or trying to force you to do weights (aside from people posting to this thread that YOU started).

I'm pretty sure no one actually cares what you do.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't like this term. Actually... I hate this term. If someone loses the weight and is ANY KIND of skinny... then they're skinny!(:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Hell I don't lift heavy and have no intention of doing so. All my exercise is cardio (running and cycling) and I can assure people that I am not skinny fat. It's a stupid bloody term anyway.
    I don't like this term. Actually... I hate this term. If someone loses the weight and is ANY KIND of skinny... then they're skinny!(:

Skinny-fat is simply a term used to describe a high body fat % given a low total body weight. Someone who weighs 150 lbs and has 25% BF will look quite different from someone who weighs 150 lbs and has 15% BF. Resistance training is one tactic that can help avoid this, but it's by no means the only one.