Intermittent fasting?

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do it and love it. Reaserch and make your own opinion.

Good luck
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the idea of IF. However, I am scared to try it due to the fact that I get low blood sugar and severe dizzy spells if I miss a meal. So I am thinking it might be very silly for me to fast on purpose. Thoughts, anyone??
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I wish it wasn't called intermittent fasting. That word apparently makes people think you are starving yourself for weeks.

And fasting for 12 hours? That's called "skipping breakfast". It's not dangerous ffs.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the idea of IF. However, I am scared to try it due to the fact that I get low blood sugar and severe dizzy spells if I miss a meal. So I am thinking it might be very silly for me to fast on purpose. Thoughts, anyone??

There are several different IF protocols. Lean gains offers one where the eating window is 10 hours. Its a good start.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options

And fasting for 12 hours? That's called "skipping breakfast". It's not dangerous ffs.

Or sleep :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Or sleep :)
    True. I always forget there are people who stop eating a few hours before bedtime. :-p I don't care about food in the morning but I like to eat all evening.
  • Danube73
    Danube73 Posts: 7
    Options
    I did the 16/8 IF for about a month and a half. I lost about 10 lbs with very little effort, but then I stalled. I found that I was actually eating below my BMR after a time. I had also stopped logging my food. When I pushed by fast back a bit (more a 14/10 now) and I started logging again, the weight began to drop off again. I need at least 1750 calories per day, and I easily get those now. I was probably not even breaking 1000 calories in the last couple weeks of doing IF. I do not eat unless I am truly hungry, and I drink plenty of water to keep bloating and water retention down. I read somewhere that 14/10 is better for women, and it seems to be working well for me. Most of the fasting time is sleeping anyway, and a cup of green tea an hour or so before I break my fast really tastes good!

I would say just be sure you're eating above BMR. Only eat when you're hungry, and eat plant-based foods as much as possible. Also, drink plenty of water. These all seem like common-sense things, but they're all things I neglected to do for years. I am more focused, I sleep better, my skin has cleared up, my hair has stopped falling out in huge chunks, and I really enjoy eating whole foods. I think IF is wonderful for many reasons, and I am sad that there are so many misconceptions out there. It is not starving oneself; on the contrary, it is being mindful of what you eat, and I think it results in greater enjoyment of nutritious food.

Good luck!!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Some people do it and love it. Some people hate it.

I like eating food in large quantities. If I don't I feel miserable. Having long periods without food and short intervals of NOMNOMNOM makes me happy (note I'm not on a proper IF schedule, this is just what I do because I like it). I eat either 1 large meal a day (usually breakfast) or 2 (usually breakfast and dinner). My feed window is usually about 6-10 hours.

My fiancee gets dizzy and light headed if she goes for too long without a snack. While she probably could get used to IF, the time it would take for her to do so and the misery she'd go through just isn't worth it. She eats 3 square meals a day and 2 snacks, all spaced approximately 3 hours from each other.

There is research out there suggesting benefits of different diets, but I happen to believe (there's no science behind this, just my thoughts based on what I've read) that the benefits of choosing a healthy and balanced program that you can comfortably stick with far outweigh any benefits of healthy program A over healthy program B and vice versa. I would strongly suggest going with what YOU are more likely to stick with.
  • oharabears
    oharabears Posts: 85
    Options
    Some people do it and love it. Some people hate it.

I like eating food in large quantities. If I don't I feel miserable. Having long periods without food and short intervals of NOMNOMNOM makes me happy (note I'm not on a proper IF schedule, this is just what I do because I like it). I eat either 1 large meal a day (usually breakfast) or 2 (usually breakfast and dinner). My feed window is usually about 6-10 hours.

My fiancee gets dizzy and light headed if she goes for too long without a snack. While she probably could get used to IF, the time it would take for her to do so and the misery she'd go through just isn't worth it. She eats 3 square meals a day and 2 snacks, all spaced approximately 3 hours from each other.

There is research out there suggesting benefits of different diets, but I happen to believe (there's no science behind this, just my thoughts based on what I've read) that the benefits of choosing a healthy and balanced program that you can comfortably stick with far outweigh any benefits of healthy program A over healthy program B and vice versa. I would strongly suggest going with what YOU are more likely to stick with.

AMEN!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    My ex did and lost a pot load of weight. IF can work very well. Its fine for lean muscle gains. However for someone to put on significant muscle mass, I've yet to see significant muscle gains from it. Depends the body type you want to gain.

Me being a bodybuilder, I feel (rather than known as fact) it would be counter productive in significant muscular gain but certainly readily could be used when cutting for comps. I'm prepared to be wrong however. Not stating as fact before someone accuses me of bro science (you know the guys who are early 20s know a little and like insulting everyone with their 'knowledge').

However its a little worrying to actually test the theory when you've spent 8 months putting on LBM to risk losing it in such an unconventional way!

Want to see someone else risk it!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think for a male bodybuilder on a bulk it would be pretty hard to IF purely from a practical POV. Trying to get all those cals in a small window would be tough. That being said if I were allowed 4000 cals I wouldn't need to IF because I'd be able to eat a satisfying breakfast, lunch and dinner :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My ex did and lost a pot load of weight. IF can work very well. Its fine for lean muscle gains. However for someone to put on significant muscle mass, I've yet to see significant muscle gains from it. Depends the body type you want to gain.

Me being a bodybuilder, I feel (rather than known as fact) it would be counter productive in significant muscular gain but certainly readily could be used when cutting for comps. I'm prepared to be wrong however. Not stating as fact before someone accuses me of bro science (you know the guys who are early 20s know a little and like insulting everyone with their 'knowledge').

However its a little worrying to actually test the theory when you've spent 8 months putting on LBM to risk losing it in such an unconventional way!

Want to see someone else risk it!

How do you cut now? I thought IF was kind of the popular choice for the cut cycle of not the bulk cycle as well...I'm pretty far removed from bb these days though so who knows.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    I have no idea if it works and am only commenting because I was just watching this video on intermittent fasting last night. http://youtu.be/rz06vept5r8
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    How do you cut now? I thought IF was kind of the popular choice for the cut cycle of not the bulk cycle as well...I'm pretty far removed from bb these days though so who knows.

I cut using hight protein, moderate carbs and low fats ATM. It works. The picture is me a few weeks back.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    Fasting has done wonderful things FOR ME. I'm not a doctor and wouldn't tell anyone in the world how to eat or not eat, as the case may be. On days I fast, I double my water intake (which is already high :D) and I always feel completely refreshed. I probably fast longer than most people - closer to 36 hours than 24 - once every other week. My doctor is completely fine with this, I am not hurting myself in any way, and I am benefitting from the emotional gain of having control over what goes in my mouth.

How can your body go into starvation mode when you have excess amounts (obviously I'm referring to obese people) of body fat? Your body has food and fuel. I wouldn't go off not eating for a week or anything, but it seems almost ridiculous to me that I should worry about my body "holding on to fat". I have about 150 lbs of the stuff that's just chillin' out and makin' me look bad, I don't think my body's too worried about not having any! :P
  • TinamarZDF
    TinamarZDF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also, look up Fast 5 intermittent fasting. There are doctors who do this. Lot's of helpful information out there. I do it from time to time. I want to make it a lifestyle change. It's basically eating in a five hour window and fasting for 19. I start at 6 or 7 PM and end it the next day around 1 or 2:00.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    When you talk intermittent fasting, or fasting for 24 hours is that completely with no water even? Or is it just 24 hours of nothing but water? Thanks
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't know or follow intermittent fasting, only know from what is typed on here but I probably go 12 hours before eating and feel just fine. I have my last meal anywhere between 5pm - 7pm and I don't eat again until 5-am to 10am depending on what I'm doing. I doubt a 12 hour fast hurts anyone.
  • TinamarZDF
    TinamarZDF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tons of water. That helps with hunger. Nothing else, though, just water for a true fast.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I didn't comment on it being a calorie deficit or eating style really. What is it with you guys, every I post you seem to pick apart. Having fun?