Running...couch to 5k?

Options

Replies

• Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the app (Week 2). I've tried doing running before. This time I decided not to be cheap and was fitted for a decent pair of shoes. It has made a HUGE difference.
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I will be starting this in the next few days. I'm usig the podcasts from the link below as I don't have an android/iphone:

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    only on day 2 week 1 so im in ,
    i am doing the treadmill version because of ankle injury .
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with doing it on a treadmill! I started that way. People on here had me SO convinced it would be harder physically to do it outside (though easier mentally). I didn't actually WANT to go outside anyway. When I finally did try it outside, I was thrilled to discover it really wasn't more difficult and the ease of it mentally was awesome. I haven't run inside since (though I will - and I have walked on the treadmill).
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to start this as well. If I can get out of work early enough today I'll be on week 1 day 1!
  • MicheleVersion2
    Options
    I am game! I am on week 3 of couch to 5k. I am a bit daunted by it, but so far so good!
  • delmc1
    Options
    just done day 2 week 1 3.25 k done . happy man
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Used it to get ready for Warrior Dash last year.

Ran Tough Mudder this year.

C25K is a great program to get to you to 5K! :smile:
  • beccaguinness
    beccaguinness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i started on Tuesday, i'm on week 1 day 2 and feeling good!! to all fellow C25K-ers we can do this!! feel free to add me x
  • delmc1
    Options
    day 3 done 3.38k .am luvin this
  • janiscurry
    janiscurry Posts: 109
    Options
    I start Week 2 tonight!!!! And.....got some good running shoes for Mother's Day. Bring it on!!
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with doing it on a treadmill! I started that way. People on here had me SO convinced it would be harder physically to do it outside (though easier mentally). I didn't actually WANT to go outside anyway. When I finally did try it outside, I was thrilled to discover it really wasn't more difficult and the ease of it mentally was awesome. I haven't run inside since (though I will - and I have walked on the treadmill).

Glad to hear this. I'm on week 6 and haven't run outside yet, guess I'm kind of afraid to. Maybe this week.....
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Glad to hear this. I'm on week 6 and haven't run outside yet, guess I'm kind of afraid to. Maybe this week.....

I just tried my first run on a treadmill on Saturday. I didn't enjoy it and had to take a break in the middle. Granted I wasn't feeling motivated before the run either, but if I had been outside, I probably would have ran the whole thing.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Would it be wise to start c25k whilst doing 30ds or am I pushing my luck, I really want to try c25k but I don't know where to fit it in??
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Would it be wise to start c25k whilst doing 30ds or am I pushing my luck, I really want to try c25k but I don't know where to fit it in??

If you're doing 30 DS every day, I wouldn't probably do C25K at the same time. However, 30 DS isn't actually intended to do every day so if you're alternating days, you could absolutely do C25K on the off days.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started "Ease into 5k" and was doing ok, then got an injury. My advice? Don't run on hills or uneven pavement (the roads where I live). I got an achilles strain that is finally feeling good today, after 3+ weeks of pain and limping. When I start again, I will find somewhere flat to train. I get that people run on hills - just don't recommend it for starting out as a beginner runner. Good luck!!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I just ran week 4 day 3 last night. I run outside at night, it's great!

Funny story, one night my phone crashed while running and so of course the voice that says great job walk or whatever never came on....I'm running and running and running thinking WTH. Finally check my phone :laugh:
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm doing day 1 week 1 today. Did it once before and loved it until I started nursing school and had no time for anything. Now I'm doing it again and hoping to be able to do a 5K around the 4th of July.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i'm doing day 1 of week 3 tonite...nervous but excited!!
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K in january and ran my first 10K (first race ever!) a couple weeks ago!