Whole, 2%, or skim milk?

Options
this14now
this14now Posts: 30 Member
I always hear people argue which is the better. People say you get more nutrients from one but more fat then you get less fat but more nutrients then would that make 2% you go to? I have always tried to save the fat and go with skim. Give me your thoughts....

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but I stick with 2% because when I do want to drink milk I want something that tastes good. I can't drink skim. I do like whole but don't buy it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I always hear people argue which is the better. People say you get more nutrients from one but more fat then you get less fat but more nutrients then would that make 2% you go to? I have always tried to save the fat and go with skim. Give me your thoughts....

All three, like all foods, are tools. You have to figure out which fits best into your needs.

If you need the calcium but are struggling with going over on fat, then skim is probably the best tool for your needs. Your diary shows that fat intake is a bit of a struggle for your current diet, so unless you want to start looking at alternatives for some of the other fats, I'd stick with skim.

Either that or start finding non-dairy sources of protein that are more efficient.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    2% as a compromise. I suppose it depends on your goals/how low-fat your tastebuds can tolerate.
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We buy skim milk just because we usually drink it a lot.

I'll drink whatever. I usually try not to get anything over 2%.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    1% or Almond milk. Both are Yummy and good in tea/coffee.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    In my house it's usually 1%. But sometimes if I am shopping at a certain store who doesn't have 1%, I get 2%.

Skim is just too watery to me. :drinker:
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to gain weight I drink whole milk. When I'm trying to lose weight I drink skim, if any milk at all.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I go skim to save the fat.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    Is 2% the same as semi-skimmed in the UK? I find full-fat milk to be too sickly, and skimmed milk to be a bit too much like funny coloured water, so I would always pick semi-skimmed all the way. But that's purely because of what I like the taste of, not what is "better" for me!
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    None of the above.. Almond milk is our milk of choice. Try it; you'll like it!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Whole milk has always made me gag. I grew up on 2%, we switched to 1% when I was a teen. As an adult, I chose to buy skim. I honestly like the flavor better, and as far as the label says, the nutrients (calcium, vit A & D) are the same. Save the calories and fat for something else I enjoy...
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I buy the Skim with extra vitamins and calcium so its more like whole without all the fat/calories. We don't drink a lot around here so it's worth it to spend a few cents more for the "ultra" variety. When its on sale I get sugar free almond or soy.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I used to this this way about skim milk... and then I got used to it. I was a 1% drinker for a long time. I just switched one day, and I've never looked back. It's not really any different.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Skim milk here....Whole milk is good but too many calories and fat...Sometimes I'll do 1%, sometimes 2% but 99% of the time it's skim.....
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Whole :) But then again- I eat very low carb and very high fat. It truly depends on what your diet/exercise goals are- and what your general nutrition plan looks like. Not everything works for everyone!
  • springermad
    springermad Posts: 242
    Options
    I get skimmed milk, I have had it for as long as I can remember so if I have any other milk now it tastes nasty x
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Silk Almond Unsweetened Milk. VERY low in calories, more calcium than regular milk! Its awesome!
  • ckenning
    ckenning Posts: 71
    Options
    We have a variety at our house -- whole milk for my 1 yr old, 1% for the rest, and unsweetened almond milk for me. :drinker:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it but I do use whole milk in coffee. That's because I realize that fat is not an enemy, it's a dietary necessity that I don't get from a lot of my other food.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the weird ones that actually prefers skim milk. 1% is okay but anything more than that and it feels like it leaves a film in my mouth. I feel like I should be eating whole milk with a fork.