Whole, 2%, or skim milk?

Options

Replies

• msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1/2% but since I have a toddler now I just by whole milk. No point in buying more than one kind of milk for our fridge, especially since I barely drink milk (usually the only milk I have is in my cereal on weekends or for a quick dinner).
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    :smile: I haven't had dairy milk in months! I actually prefer almond or coconut milk (and blue diamond now makes an almond/coconut milk mix) They're loaded with good stuff!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Ultra skim :) It has the taste of 2%.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    For cows milk I go with 2%. I don't drink a lot of it. Use it for cooking and sometimes in a protein shake.

For brkfst cereal, protein shakes, and sometimes baking I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Way less calories, good flavor, less fat, etc.
  • t0adstyle
    t0adstyle Posts: 2
    Options
    Go almond milk. Most of the milk is ultimately bad for you.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Skim milk. it is what I grew up on, and I cant stand the taste of whole milk now.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is good as well. I don't drink milk often, so I buy Silk Light Vanilla. They also have almond, which I have yet to try. It has a great taste and it keeps longer. When I used to buy a half gallon of milk I always wasted it by the time it expired becuase I didn't drink it.

Here are some facts:

Light Vanilla Silk:
    1 cup = 70 calories, 1.5g fat, 7g carbs, 5g sugar, 6g Protien, 45% calcium

Whole Milk
    1 cup= 146 calories, 7.93g fat, 11.03 carbs, 12.83g sugar, 7.86g protien, 28% calcium

2% Milk
    1 cup= 122 calories, 4.81g fat, 11.42 carbs, 12.35g sugar, 8.05g protien, 28% calcium

Skim Milk
    1 cup= 86 calories, .44g fat, 11.88g carbs, 12.47g sugar, 8.35g protien, 30% calcium

Hope this info helps :smile:
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I drink skim or 1%.
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you want lower fat but can't stand the taste of skim milk, get Non-Fat Organic Milk. It tastes just like 2% without the fat. However, if you're limiting your carb intake, getting fuller fat milk won't be a problem. Your body burns fats after it burns carbs so if you limit carbs, your fat intake doesn't matter as much.
  • millers617
    millers617 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Our family loves 1%
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I drink Skim Milk. I drink so much milk that I try to save some calories by drinking the skim. I also buy whole for my son.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me last week that 1% is the best choice.. He said that you still get all the nutrients and calcium but still a little lower in cals..
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't care for milk, but if I actually want to sit and drink a glass, I drink the milk from Trader's Point Creamery. It's whole, organic, grassfed, non-homogenized, and low temp pasteurized. It's totally divine. I think skim tastes disgusting and only use it for my protein powder. I normally buy whole for the kids, so if I have cereal, I'll use that.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that there are some vitamins (like A, D, E and K) which are fat soluable...which means that they must be consumed with some fat for your body to be able to absorb them.

I had been drinking skim milk for the longest time until a nutritionist pointed this out to me, so now I drink 1%
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking skim milk, and can't stand the taste of anything else. I drink about a glass a night, and it's actually one of the best things I do. It gets me calcium, and it does a good job of filling me up.

But I only drink milk out of plastic jugs - the milk out of cardboard ones just tastes like cardboard!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond or coconut, can't stand the taste of cow's milk.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    1% for me 2% for the kids. If they had their way it would be whole milk for them but at 18 and 13 I think they are better off with 2%. Sometimes I will be very nice and let the 13 year old get a single serve of the PET milk in whole. He says its the best taste....sure kid its also the most expensive $$$ :laugh:
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    My doctor says that people shouldn't drink Skim ( I still drink it though) because it is like drinking sugar water, if you want/have to drink cows milk go with either 1% or 2%. My son drinks 1% chocolate milk and loves it, my daughter drinks 2% white milk.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk because I like it. I just make sure I record it and work it into my calories. I am not afraid of fat and just monitor calorie intake and exercise.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Skim milk for drinking and cereal, since I use it so much. I do buy whole milk for my coffee and cooking.