why do people LOCK their diary?

Options
I'm curious to see what all you successful people have been eatting!

Replies

• wonderlilly
    wonderlilly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i agree! we were talking about this the other day. there are tons of people who show their diaries (and maybe they're the same people likely to encourage you?!), i'm sure you'll find them on here!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I keep mine friends only so I have control over who sees it. My diary is my business and unless I am looking for feedback on what I eat, I'll keep it that way. That's just how I feel...
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I've found a few so far, but if I see a women with similar goals or weight to mine I like to see what they eat to give me ideas.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't know if mine's locked but I make all my own food, eat very well and have been losing weight. I'm only using MFP to lose 10-15 pounds, but I don't have a scale anyway. Weekly photos and body measurements tell a much better story anyway! So if you're curious take a peek. I usu. categorize my foods into "recipes" that I don't make public bc MFP wants too much info. Maybe you can see those as well though my diary?

EDIT: I logged out and saw that my diary is public, but my recipes can't be seen. Bummer, as that's where all the real magic happens. Oh well...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I guess it's because people are doing this for themselves, not for you!

Many people have an open diary because they like the accountability that brings, others like to share what they eat, others like to keep it private so they can be completely honest with logging without feeling as though they are going to be judged.

Just look out for people who look similar to you and see if their diary is open. With so many members, you are bound to find a bunch of people who are a good match for you. And if someone's diary isn't open but you like the look of their profile, why not send them a message and ask if they are happy to share?
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Mine used to be open, but I wasn't being completely honest with myself, and then the days where I didn't log everything and it would appear as though I was undereating people would compliment me on that. That would mind eff me a little and my brain would go "yeah! tomorrow! eat a lot less. your friends like it, and you'll lose weight faster" and I can't do that. That's wrong. So I locked it.
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options

Many people have an open diary because they like the accountability that brings, others like to share what they eat, others like to keep it private so they can be completely honest with logging without feeling as though they are going to be judged.

Just look out for people who look similar to you and see if their diary is open. With so many members, you are bound to find a bunch of people who are a good match for you. And if someone's diary Isn't open but you like the look of their profile, why not send them a message and ask if they are happy to share?

Fair enough, Im not in the secret service so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask :)
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Just look out for people who look similar to you and see if their diary is open. With so many members, you are bound to find a bunch of people who are a good match for you. And if someone's diary isn't open but you like the look of their profile, why not send them a message and ask if they are happy to share?
    This.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When I decided to lose weight, I knew I had to be accountable with everything. I hid far too long...and hiding for me never worked....I could dissappear and start eating again and no one would noticed or care...LOL like who was I fooling...they wouldnt noticed.... people seen me and my size ...just never said anything.....to me.

I really dont care who sees my diary.... what I eat and how I eat works for me..and anyone can comment all they like. I take all critic... through it all we learn...sometimes good...sometimes naught but this journey is in the learning...and I am all for it. That being said...if what I do or what I have learned can benefit someone else...all is good.

There are all kinds of people with different ideas and ways to do....it's what makes the world go round....makes life interesting.
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options
    When I decided to lose weight, I knew I had to be accountable with everything. I hid far too long...and hiding for me never worked....I could dissappear and start eating again and no one would noticed or care...LOL like who was I fooling...they wouldnt noticed.... people seen me and my size ...just never said anything.....to me.

I really dont care who sees my diary.... what I eat and how I eat works for me..and anyone can comment all they like. I take all critic... through it all we learn...sometimes good...sometimes naught but this journey is in the learning...and I am all for it. That being said...if what I do or what I have learned can benefit someone else...all is good.

There are all kinds of people with different ideas and ways to do....it's what makes the world go round....makes life interesting.

That's how I feel. If i over eat or under eat one day I like having the support to keep me accountable. I associate over eatting with feels of shame and guilt which in turn continues the cycle. Then I under eat to try to undo my mistakes and get so fixed on numbers that I deprive myself until I can't take it and I binge. It has taken me to the age of 25 to realize that this is a form of ED. Sharing my diary and being accountable for this will hopefully change my bad habits. I do still associate over eatting with shame and guilt due to the ideas that were put in my head at an early age, but I'm hoping with time this will pass and I will be able to enjoy food instead of fearing it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Becuase they are afraid that everyone will see that they eat cheesecake and twinkies everyday.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    There numerous reasons as to why each person locks their diary.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    because some people bust balls and criticize!! at least that's what i heard!
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    I lock my diary because I am counting calories for ME not for my friends!
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't want people to comment on what I eat, especially when it's going to be some random over the internet. Also because my calorie limit is fairly low and I don't want the "starvation mode" brigade on my *kitten*.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It's not your diary. It's theirs.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Some people get upset and discouraged by negative comments, in which case I'd rather see them close their diaries instead of giving up altogether. I don't care BUT won't cheer them on about being under goal if I can't see what they ate. Can't have it both ways =)
  • Laura_emoore
    Options
    Because i don't want people to see how often i binge on Oreo's and Ben & Jerry's ice cream

Oops! I just outed myself!

LOL
  • arojas1227
    arojas1227 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's automatically locked. If I'm not asking for advice (which I'm not), why would I take the effort to unlock it just so people can tell me I need to eat less/more of certain things?
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds mean, but it is honestly none of your business. I am not arguing, but I am just saying, I like my privacy. I don't want what other people would think change my food choices.