MASTER CLEANSE....

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Pray tell, what are you hoping to cleanse from your body?
    You know, this was precisely what I was thinking throughout the time I did this. I didn't know what I was supposed to be cleansing from my system!
    Not sure... My friend that did it keeps raving about it and has kept the weight off so I don't know... will have to talk to my DR about it. Even if not sure I could get through 10 days of it like he did ... Maybe one day a week .. For a while I was juicing one day a week and that helped me feel a great deal better but who knows.....
    Some info: http://lifehacker.com/5908996/why-body-detoxification-is-a-myth-and-you-should-stop-wasting-money-on-detox-products
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It's somewhere between useless and harmful.

Think it may depend on the person...

Are you a special unique snowflake?

I am a unicorn. I fart glitter and poop rainbows that smell like skittles. i don't need to cleanse.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I've done it but went off it after 6 days because I found out I was pregnant. The salt water flush is... well, unpleasant. The effects... enjoyable in a strange sort of way.

The master cleanse is designed to stop peristalsis altogether... to rest your intestines and flush them. It's not a diet and shouldn't be used for weight loss IMO.

It was very difficult. I started with a week-long ReCleanse and then 3 days of juice only and then into the Master Cleanse.

I don't think you understand what peristalsis is or how the intestine works. Your intestines can't "flush" anything without peristalsis. The absence of peristalsis is an ileus. Ileus is bad. As in "you might die" bad. The explanations behind these supposed cleanses (of the wallet) are completely ridonkulous.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I am a unicorn. I fart glitter and poop rainbows that smell like skittles. i don't need to cleanse.

LOL awesome.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Trying to "detox"?

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

Trying to clean out your colon?

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    All it does, and is designed to do, is irritate the gut. Doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't bother.
  • kandaceleehans
    Options
    I have a co-worker who just did it. Nothing miraculous happened. I tried a glass or two for a day and all I got was heartburn. I do think that if you can force your body into that process for a week or more then you should be able to eat healthy normally without the gimmick of the cleanse. If you put good things in your body, then you should not have to worry about cleansing bad things out. And if you are putting good things in then it is only a matter of time before things are flush out through your body’s natural process.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I did the SWF one time
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Yes. For some people it's useless. And for others it's harmful.

edit: oops, contrarian already said this. that's two of us, so it's necessarily true.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I did the SWF one time

Single White Female?? Just once?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I did the SWF one time

Salt Water Flush. Kinda like an enema from the inside.

And way more fun than a Bridget Fonda movie.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I have a co-worker who just did it. Nothing miraculous happened. I tried a glass or two for a day and all I got was heartburn. I do think that if you can force your body into that process for a week or more then you should be able to eat healthy normally without the gimmick of the cleanse. If you put good things in your body, then you should not have to worry about cleansing bad things out. And if you are putting good things in then it is only a matter of time before things are flush out through your body’s natural process.

Well written and true! If you have the will power to do the cleanse, you absolutely have the will power to just each healthier! Plus you can eat yummy foods! Win win!
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The co-worker I sit next to has tried it. She didn't last the full 10 days because her husband told her she was starting to smell "like an Indian restaurant" from all the cayenne pepper in the cleanse.

She said she felt great at first, but by the 3rd and 4th day, was starting to feel weak.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    The co-worker I sit next to has tried it. She didn't last the full 10 days because her husband told her she was starting to smell "like an Indian restaurant" from all the cayenne pepper in the cleanse.
    In cannibal circles, they call this cleanse "marinating".
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I did the SWF one time

Salt Water Flush. Kinda like an enema from the inside.

And way more fun than a Bridget Fonda movie.

Thank you! I still think he would have been better off with my definition, and it might've been a more effective weight-loss method.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Laxatives are probably cheaper!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Yes. For some people it's useless. And for others it's harmful.

edit: oops, contrarian already said this. that's two of us, so it's necessarily true.

I like being brain twins with you, Taso.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've done it but went off it after 6 days because I found out I was pregnant. The salt water flush is... well, unpleasant. The effects... enjoyable in a strange sort of way.

The master cleanse is designed to stop peristalsis altogether... to rest your intestines and flush them. It's not a diet and shouldn't be used for weight loss IMO.

It was very difficult. I started with a week-long ReCleanse and then 3 days of juice only and then into the Master Cleanse.

I don't think you understand what peristalsis is or how the intestine works. Your intestines can't "flush" anything without peristalsis. The absence of peristalsis is an ileus. Ileus is bad. As in "you might die" bad. The explanations behind these supposed cleanses (of the wallet) are completely ridonkulous.

Exactly - if you've ever spent any time in a hospital, you know that one of thing they are always interested in and want you to do before you go home is poop! They want to make sure your intestines are working, that peristalsis is happening, because it's very important!

If you really want a "clense" in less time, schedule a colonoscopy - the stuff they give you has you clean as a whistle within 24 hours, and you get a nice photo of your colon in the process - all under a doctor's supervision.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I do it about once a year. it cleans you out but if you have a lot of junk in your system from unhealthy eating you'll get really sick after a few days, but it subsides.

did it for 17 days last year, lost a lot of weight but that's not a good reason to do it because you'll gain some back even if you eat super healthy afterwards. it's a detox cleanse, I feel great after 10 days unless I get excited and eat a unhealthy meal to celebrate being done, then I get sick.

I'm planning on doing it again in June. it's not for everyone though, last time it cleared up and tightened my skin and got rid of some joint pain. so yeah it's worthless ;p