Sushi

Options

Replies

• Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Overall, I don't think sushi is unhealthy at all, with the exception of those rolls that are dripping in a mayo sauce or have deep-fried components.

My wife and I have a tradition of getting sushi on Sunday at a local market where they have a TINY sushi counter. Really good stuff. Super fresh. I usually get the tuna/salmon/yellow tail avocado roll (brown rice if it's available) or a 1/2 California roll (they don't use mayo!) 1/2 spicy tuna roll (brown rice) AND a container of nigiri (sushi pieces over rice). I usually have a light breakfast that day to offset the calories. No problems at all.
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, another MFP member posted this a couple months ago and I found it really helpful as I love sushi too!!!

There is certainly a great deal of talk these days about Sushi this and Sushi that. While I am certainly no expert in this area Shape magazine recently published the following article about how to make healthier choices while selecting sushi entrees.

The Best and Worst Sushi for Weight Loss

Are you ordering the right way? Experts weigh in!

Order Salmon and Tuna

Carol Ann Rinzler, author of Nutrition for Dummies, points out that sushi is the very definition of a low-fat meal (as are fresh oysters and clams). But if you're not eating it the right way, it's not low-fat at all.
    "To maximize the benefits [of sushi], choose pieces that are rich in omega-3s, the unsaturated fats that protect the heart and boost brain power," Rinzler says. She suggests salmon and tuna, which are both low-calorie (40 calories per ounce for the salmon and 42 for the tuna), high in protein and omega-3s, and also deliver a big dose of vitamin D.

Consider Wasabi

"Wasabi radish is packed with antioxidants like isothiocyanates, the sharp, smelly-when-heated compounds that give cruciferous veggies like broccoli their anti-cancer punch," Rinzler says. And you don't need much to reap the benefits. "A little wasabi goes a long way."

Say No to Crunch

Margaux J. Rathbun, certified nutritional therapy practitioner and creator of nutrition website Authentic Self Wellness, says to stay away from the "crunchy rolls" that have been deep-fried to get that golden crust. "The less fancy the roll, the better," Rathbun adds.

Say Yes to Steamed, Grilled, or Raw

"Focus on ordering items that have been steamed or grilled," Rathbun says. "One of my favorite sushi choices would have to be sashimi because it's literally just the meat of the fish without any rice or extra ingredients."

Opt for Veggies

Incorporating "veggie rolls" into your Japanese meal is also a great option. "Many sushi restaurants include vegetarian choices on the menu with ingredients like fresh cucumbers, avocados, and sea vegetables," Rathbun says. "Sea vegetables are also a powerful healing food full of nutrients like vitamin K, magnesium, and folate." Delicious and nutritious—the best kind of meal!

Ask for Brown Rice

Ask for brown rice sushi instead of regular white rice, Rathbun says. "There are ample amounts of fiber in brown rice, which is important for maintaining healthy digestion and regular bowel movements. Brown rice is also a great source of manganese, selenium, and magnesium," she adds.

Go for the Ginger

You know that little pile of ginger that's always on your plate—it's not just a garnish! Eat it! "Ginger helps to boost the immune system as an effective antimicrobial and antiviral agent," Rathbun says. "It is also a good source of potassium, magnesium, copper, and manganese."

Try Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce

Katie Clark, registered dietitian in San Diego and blogger of FiberIstheFuture.com, advises sushi diners to ask for reduced-sodium soy sauce, but keep in mind that it isn't "low" sodium. It's simply 25 percent less salt than regular soy sauce.

Use Chopsticks

Using chopsticks—if you're not super-skilled, that is—may help you eat more slowly than shoveling food in with the very-easy-to-use fork or spoon, Clark says.

Don't Do Mayo

You know those delicious special rolls covered in creamy sauce? Don't get those. "Ask for items that have no mayonnaise or cream cheese fillings, which isn't traditional sushi anyway," Clark says.

Sample Soba

"Try dishes with soba noodles, made from the whole grain buckwheat," Clark says. "Soba is a higher-fiber, higher-protein alternative to traditional white rice."

Choose Sashimi Over Maki

Janel Ovrut Funk, a Boston-based registered dietitian and blogger of EatWellWithJanel.com, reminds that each sushi roll has about one cup of white rice in it, which can add up to a lot of extra calories (one cup has about 200 calories) if you're eating multiple rolls. Go for sashimi (pieces of raw fish without rice) over maki sushi, which has the fish rolled into rice and seaweed.

Start with Soup

Start with a miso soup before sushi. It can actually help fill you up on the hot broth without a significant number of calories. A cup of miso soup has less than 75 calories, according to Ovrut Funk.

Watch Your Serving Size

As you should with every meal, stick with the proper serving size, which is one roll or six pieces, says Ovrut Funk. "If you're hungry for more, fill up on a salad and miso soup."
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I am a sushi addict as well

Stay away from anything fried (tempura) or with mayo. I still eat the rolls, I don't over endulge and work them in to my calories. Have some miso soup to go with it to fill you. If you want more, try some shashimi (no rice). I always ask for low sodium soy sauce and I still use sparingly.
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was looking for nutrition on sushi because my favorite sushi doesn't have nutrional counts. I found this site where you can create your own sushi roll and it shows you the nutritional values. I created my roll I always order and saved and added it to my foods.

http://www.mymakisushi.com/nutrition.php

I would never give up sushi it is too good.

Good Luck
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    stick to seaweed wrapped instead of rice wrapped when it comes to rolls, and obviously nothing tempura style. as for sashimi (just the fish), NOTHING wrong with that!!!! (and actually is GREAT for you!)
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I personally stay away from rolls
    I stick to the real deal...SUSHI
    I even eat scallop sushi, ikura (salmon eggs), and uni (sea urchin) sushi which are all the more creamy/fatty sushis
    but I find I'm still losing as long as I stick with the lean stuff and don't get anything with the mayo dipping sauce and use ponzu or simply soy with wasabi

I'm not sure what you mean. Rolls can be sushi. What makes it sushi is the way the rice is prepared. Do you mean the other ingredients?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is really only SUBSTANTIALLY beneficial if you have a problem with fiber. White rice often has a lower GI rating than brown rice, depending on the type of course. People with sensitive digestive systems often get very bloated and irritated after eating brown rice. I've been researching rice for a while now and I don't see any great reason to prefer one over the other. Eat whatever kind of rice you want.
  • ladyhrist
    ladyhrist Posts: 2
    Options
    I love sushi too. When I go to my favorite sushi place, I usually get their sampler, which is three pieces of sushi and two pieces of california roll, and a small bowl of miso soup or a salad. It's filling and well balanced. A lot of places have little things like that on their menu, so you might want to look to a small sampler like that for a meal item. It's tempting to go overboard with sushi because it's so good. :)

My advice is to eat things like tuna, albacore, salmon and yellowtail. They are easily obtained and quite good. Eel is good too, though you want to not eat a ton of it as it is rather fatty. Also if you're going to have rolls, don't get any more than two because the rice adds up on your carbs quickly.

But overall, I heartily recommend sushi. It's good stuff and for the most part, quite good for you in moderation.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Sashimi or sashimi salads! I get way more of the raw fish that way, which I love, plus a nice bed of mixed greens and wasabi on the side. You can get a side of ponzu sauce if you'd like to add a little more flavor and some places even have avocado added along with the sashimi on top of the salad. SO delicious.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sushi too...The only thing that stopped me from eating it..AS MUCH...was the fact it became as about as expensive as my gas bill...I wish I could some how make Kumo's sushi from my kitchen.

We make it at home a lot and the kids like it because they put with they want in it. You just need a rolling mat, sushi rice ( I add a little rice wine vinegar and sesame seeds) and some seaweed wraps. I usually have a bunch of things on the table and everyone rolls their own. Usually some shrimp and crab then I grill mushrooms, peppers, carrots and other veggies and of course some avacado but you can be as creative as you like. Its pretty fun and granted my sushi is not as "pretty" but sure tastes yummy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Watch Your Serving Size

As you should with every meal, stick with the proper serving size, which is one roll or six pieces, says Ovrut Funk. "If you're hungry for more, fill up on a salad and miso soup."

When I was working in Sao Paulo, there was a sushi place about a block from my apartment. Rodizio (all you can eat) style sushi for $25 US. Watching my serving size is a f***ing impossibility.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sushi can be really healthy and to me one of the better choices when eating out, just stay away of course from tempura, creamy sauces, cream cheese, etc. veggie rolls and tuna rolls are yummy and low in cals.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Don't be too concerned with the calories/carbs from the sushi, but beware the sodium from the soy sauce. If you want to skip the rice, order sashimi instead.

Try to stick to rolls that are not drenched in creamy or sweet sauces....

Other than that, enjoy your sushi. :happy:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to eat sushi, I'm going to eat susi. I'll also have a beer and maybe some plumb wine and sake.
    I get what I want and just make sure to eat in moderation.
    Usually this would be a special occasion so even going overboard a little is ok.

I do stay away from the ones with cream cheese in it, because that just looks gross.

just watch out for the kappa.
    kappa11.jpg
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    substitute brown rice instead of the white and it takes some getting used to but I tried it with spicy tuna and it was great...the brown rice also gave it a little bit of crunch so if you're addicted to the tempura, that should help some. Plus like above, just fit it into your calorie allowance and you'll be good! i've had sushi 3 times this month and ive still lost 10 pounds! :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I eat sushi at least once a week. I generally get a salmon roll and salmon nigiri. Then I have either miso soup or the salad with the ginger dressing on the side.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I personally stay away from rolls
    I stick to the real deal...SUSHI
    I even eat scallop sushi, ikura (salmon eggs), and uni (sea urchin) sushi which are all the more creamy/fatty sushis
    but I find I'm still losing as long as I stick with the lean stuff and don't get anything with the mayo dipping sauce and use ponzu or simply soy with wasabi
    I'm a sushi newbie. I've only had it a few times....but what's a sushi roll, vs. sushi? I just see the round pieces that have a green wrap around them....I thought that's what sushi was?
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    I second the comments on sticking with white rice instead of brown rice unless you prefer brown (calorically, you gain virtually nothing by switching).

Starting off with octopus (tako) sunomono, a traditional Japanese salad served with seaweed, cucumber, and rice wine vinegar, can keep you from filling up on higher-calorie treats later (especially if you eat it slowly).

Drink lots of green tea/water.

I eat mostly sashimi with a couple of pieces of nigiri-style sushi to get my rice fix. Clams tend to be pretty low in calories as does shrimp. Of course, if you live in one of the many places where the quality of fish at sushi bars isn't that great, you may want to do something different.

Finish with a satisfying cup of miso soup.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This website helps me to plan better.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is really only SUBSTANTIALLY beneficial if you have a problem with fiber. White rice often has a lower GI rating than brown rice, depending on the type of course. People with sensitive digestive systems often get very bloated and irritated after eating brown rice. I've been researching rice for a while now and I don't see any great reason to prefer one over the other. Eat whatever kind of rice you want.

That's great to know. Most of the sushi restaurants around me don't offer brown rice, and I do have digestive issues from time to time so now I can justify having a bit of white rice, thanks!