Cupcakes Banned in MA Schools

Options

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank you LAZY PARENTS.

It is so much easier to just have the state teach your children how to function as people, isn't it? I blame feminism for pushing mothers out of the home and liberals for promoting this crap.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be combative at all, but do you have a problem with the school telling parents what the children are and are not allowed to wear to school? Like it or not, a person agreeing to send their children to a 'free' school also agrees to the rules put in place by that establishment, within reason.

True. Even schools you pay for, the school tells the parents what their kids can wear, etc.

One thing I'm noticing is that there are a lot of people that have a problem with this rule, but claim that they never pack junk food in their lunches. OK, so what's the problem, then? I put my selt beat on every time I get in the car before it was the law. Did I get pissed off that the government told me that I HAVE to? No. I don't. I'm more concerned about books being banned from schools than I am junk food.

Well a seatbelt isn't law in my state for adults. Because they tried to implement and the people said No.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Thank you LAZY PARENTS.

It is so much easier to just have the state teach your children how to function as people, isn't it? I blame feminism for pushing mothers out of the home and liberals for promoting this crap.

^^this^^
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea that my tax dollars are going towards feeding kids in public school a bunch of garbage that will make them sick rather than some healthy foods. Then the sick children go on to have a much higher risk of developing illness which causes my health insurance to go up (or rather, in this case: stay up). Just like people refusing to wear their seatbelt causes my car insurance to go up.

I personally don't want my tax dollars to go directly towards making my health insurance costs go up, which is *exactly what is happening when publicly funded schools feed kids lots of unhealthy foods.* People should be able to do whatever the hell they want, sure (to an extent). But my tax dollars shouldn't be spent in really stupid ways. I literally couldn't care less if kids hate the food or not, I think the government has a duty to the tax payers to only serve healthy nutritious food in public schools.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea that my tax dollars are going towards feeding kids in public school a bunch of garbage that will make them sick rather than some healthy foods. Then the sick children go on to have a much higher risk of developing illness which causes my health insurance to go up (or rather, in this case: stay up). Just like people refusing to wear their seatbelt causes my car insurance to go up.

I personally don't want my tax dollars to go directly towards making my health insurance costs go up, which is *exactly what is happening when publicly funded schools feed kids lots of unhealthy foods.* People should be able to do whatever the hell they want, sure (to an extent). But my tax dollars shouldn't be spent in really stupid ways. I literally couldn't care less if kids hate the food or not, I think the government has a duty to the tax payers to only serve healthy nutritious food in public schools.

Yeah, well, get the parents to stop giving it to the kids.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I live in the only state that has banned school bake sales, thinking THAT'S going to change the obesity problem. And, they want to ban all fundraising for sports teams by selling cookies or candy, no cupcakes or treats given out for birthdays and no banquets for sports, etc. Maybe it would make more sense to have bigger bake sales and raise money to keep phys ed in the schools!

I'm disgusted!

It takes Massachusetts to raise a child.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Thank you LAZY PARENTS.

Ummm, I work full time outside the home and still have plenty of time to cook for scratch and such.

Don't blame feminism, place the blame on the individual LAZY PEOPLE, not a sweeping generalization.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank you LAZY PARENTS.

Ummm, I work full time outside the home and still have plenty of time to cook for scratch and such.

Don't blame feminism, place the blame on the individual LAZY PEOPLE, not a sweeping generalization.

I will blame feminism. Congratulations, you manage to do what you're supposed to. Current trends suggest you are the minority.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I live in Utah. At my kids school one of the school lunches is something called a potato dog!!! A what? I took my daughter a subway kids meal one day for her lunch and I saw one finally. It was a hotdog cut in half lengthwise with nasty cheesy mashed potatoes smothered on top of it. EWWWW!! My daughter takes her lunch except for the occasional day when they have pizza or sub sandwiches or turkey dinners. She doesn't get any of the beef based school lunches.

Our teachers give the kids a piece of candy if their parents sign their planner the night before. They get a piece of candy if they finish their art project or writing project or whatever. She got a whole soda can for completing so many math facts in certain amount of time. They give out snack cakes for whatever. They have a snack recess where one of their 2 recesses each day gets 10-15min of it set aside for them to eat a snack because their lunch is one of the later time slots. I send a banana or apple with her for snack recess. Other kids get snack cakes or cookies. We don't have snack cakes in the house anymore but when we did for my husband to take for work if the kids wanted one it got split in half and they each got half. Half the time I don't even know how much snacks and candy my daughter gets at school because they don't send something home every day saying this and this was given today. <--- This annoys me. What if I was the type that I didn't want my child having candy as a reward for everything? I could tell the teacher not to give my child any ever but then she would feel like a failure because all the other kids got a reward and even though she worked hard she didn't. Fortunately I don't have a problem with the occasional piece of candy or whatever because I control how much they eat at home. But what about the parents that do?

If her school was like the ones in NC and took her home lunch away because it didn't have carrots and made her eat some processed enchiladas or other crap they have I would be livid.

On a side note. For parties, birthdays or anything at all home baked goods aren't allowed. They have to be prepackaged sealed and bought from a grocery store. Because of "allergies" What?????

One other thing! The school is next to a big park. There are multiple parents and kids that set up "stands" with fruit punch, snack cakes, baked goods and everything else to sell to the kids getting out of school and walking home. WTH????

When my daughter was in preschool they banned fruit snacks because they were a mess to clean up from the carpets and stuff if the kids were sloppy with them.

For the person who mentioned fundraising. I was in ROTC in High School. We sold candy for our fundraisers. All of our competitions and field trips and stuff were paid for with that. (we also sold overpriced wrapping paper ugh)

Band always sold these little "discount" cards that they had arranged with local businesses. Like a free taco with purchase of taco at TB, or buy one dozen donuts get a dozen free from Dunkin Donuts. The one I used over and over was a free appetizer at Applebees with the purchase of an entree. Lots of local clothing shops and restaurants and stuff too.

Depending on the age group maybe they could sell fancy folders and stuff. Teachers buy them for .25 or whatever and the kids sell them in a little "store" for .50?

Entertainment books are always a good one too. Oh out here boy scouts and stuff are always arranging with Papa Johns Pizza to sell coupon sheets with like 10 coupons on them.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I live in Utah. At my kids school one of the school lunches is something called a potato dog!!! A what? I took my daughter a subway kids meal one day for her lunch and I saw one finally. It was a hotdog cut in half lengthwise with nasty cheesy mashed potatoes smothered on top of it. EWWWW!! My daughter takes her lunch except for the occasional day when they have pizza or sub sandwiches or turkey dinners. She doesn't get any of the beef based school lunches.

Our teachers give the kids a piece of candy if their parents sign their planner the night before. They get a piece of candy if they finish their art project or writing project or whatever. She got a whole soda can for completing so many math facts in certain amount of time. They give out snack cakes for whatever. They have a snack recess where one of their 2 recesses each day gets 10-15min of it set aside for them to eat a snack because their lunch is one of the later time slots. I send a banana or apple with her for snack recess. Other kids get snack cakes or cookies. We don't have snack cakes in the house anymore but when we did for my husband to take for work if the kids wanted one it got split in half and they each got half. Half the time I don't even know how much snacks and candy my daughter gets at school because they don't send something home every day saying this and this was given today. <--- This annoys me. What if I was the type that I didn't want my child having candy as a reward for everything? I could tell the teacher not to give my child any ever but then she would feel like a failure because all the other kids got a reward and even though she worked hard she didn't. Fortunately I don't have a problem with the occasional piece of candy or whatever because I control how much they eat at home. But what about the parents that do?

If her school was like the ones in NC and took her home lunch away because it didn't have carrots and made her eat some processed enchiladas or other crap they have I would be livid.

On a side note. For parties, birthdays or anything at all home baked goods aren't allowed. They have to be prepackaged sealed and bought from a grocery store. Because of "allergies" What?????

One other thing! The school is next to a big park. There are multiple parents and kids that set up "stands" with fruit punch, snack cakes, baked goods and everything else to sell to the kids getting out of school and walking home. WTH????

When my daughter was in preschool they banned fruit snacks because they were a mess to clean up from the carpets and stuff if the kids were sloppy with them.

For the person who mentioned fundraising. I was in ROTC in High School. We sold candy for our fundraisers. All of our competitions and field trips and stuff were paid for with that. (we also sold overpriced wrapping paper ugh)

Band always sold these little "discount" cards that they had arranged with local businesses. Like a free taco with purchase of taco at TB, or buy one dozen donuts get a dozen free from Dunkin Donuts. The one I used over and over was a free appetizer at Applebees with the purchase of an entree. Lots of local clothing shops and restaurants and stuff too.

Depending on the age group maybe they could sell fancy folders and stuff. Teachers buy them for .25 or whatever and the kids sell them in a little "store" for .50?

Entertainment books are always a good one too. Oh out here boy scouts and stuff are always arranging with Papa Johns Pizza to sell coupon sheets with like 10 coupons on them.

Why are we rewarding kids in school for doing what they are suppose too? Aren't kids suppose to do math pages and reading etc. That's what school is for not for them to get a treat after each right answer. I think this is further proof of how the "everyone is a winner" philosophy doesn't work. When those kids turn into adults and don't get a piece of candy, or a gold star every-time they do something good at work, they pout. I know for a fact, one of our sales guys at work, once went to HR because his boss didn't "praise" him enough. Apparently the monthly email she sent out announcing the winner of the month and what they achieved wasn't enough for him. How about the big fat commission check he was raking in, I'm pretty sure that is your reward buddy. A lot of kids coming into the working world, can't handle being told no at all, it's like they have never heard the word before. Scary.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    There is already legislation pending to actually leave it up to the municipalities to grant waivers and such.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Our school in Vermont frowns greatly upon treats/bake sales, but we still do them occasionally. However, with that said, the snack cart that comes to our school every day is made up of what they call Healthy Snacks.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In case it's not been mentioned: Y'ALL NEED TO MOVE TO TEXAS! (And I wasn't even born here!) :tongue:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Thank you LAZY PARENTS.

Oooh, you went "there"! =)
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The happy meal the kids ate for dinner on Monday doesn't make them fat. Nor does that Dunkin' Donut they ate on the way to school on Wednesday. The meat lovers pizza with extra cheese and stuffed hotdog crust the ate on Friday night, not contributing to their weight gain. Oh and at the matinee Saturday afternoon, that extra large popcorn and super size coke didn't make them gain weight either. It's those damn bake sale cupcakes from the annual PTA fundraiser!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that caters meals to schools...just recently we got notified of a HUGE government regulation change to all meals. It should make things verrrrrry interesting....and kids are gonna HATE the new foods!

they did something like this in some schools in the UK. The result? Parents passing fish and chips and other deep fried takeaway food to their kids over the school fence at lunchtimes, because their kids wouldn't eat the new healthy meals.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You need Market Day!
  • terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a little confused here. I live in Canada and there is no lunches provided to the kids. They bring their own and in high school there is a cafeteria but you buy your own or bring a lunch.
    Are these schools providing the lunches for free?
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I say let kids have what they want in moderation and keep them active!! At my kids school they cram so much work into their school day, they have no time for physical activity!! Then the kids go home and play video games all afternoon. Heck, when we were kids my mother kicked us out of the house after school and were told not to come home til dark! LOL!!

Banning cupcakes is just not the answer!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Prohibition worked really well, too

It was short-sighted and caused even ordinary people to disrespect the government, but I've read that there were actually fewer fatalities from drunk driving and the rate of alcohol-related diseases went down.

I think that banning smoking is a good idea. People clearly are not willing to quit on their own despite the evidence that smoking is dangerous. I can't believe that people still smoke.

Food is a bit different. We need to eat, and eating is supposed to be pleasurable. But as someone else said, many parents don't seem to be very effective in teaching their kids how to eat.

This MA ban sounds draconian, but I hesitate to judge. I'd also like to know what people are making instead of cupcakes.