I can't control my eating.

Options

Replies

• tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much always had tendencies towards occasional bouts of manic overeating - fairly sure it originates from the "rules" when I was a kid, which essentially dictated that Sunday to Friday was for exceptionally clean eating, with Saturday as a free for all. I'm not sure whether it really falls under the same remit, as I luckily don't have much trouble snapping straight back to healthy eating come Sunday - but I'll still happily eat beyond the point of full and then some.

I think it helps a lot to log exactly what you're eating, as you're eating it (not afterwards!) - this makes it far easier to curb your intake, for me anyway. I'm trying to cut this mentality completely now, so I've started planning my Saturdays in advance and leaving a few hundred calories leeway, rather than defaulting to giant-takeaway-and-entire-cake defacto (my fiancé is also quite bad for this, which doesn't help!).

I know there are a quite a few support groups for binge eating here - so it may be worth having a look around for some more useful advice. And other than that, just take one day at a time, avoid thinking "well I've started now so screw it" (i.e. never too late to curb yourself), and always try to get straight back to healthy eating the next day. From what you've said though (not noticing what you're eating or when you're eating it), you may see a difference just from vigilantly tracking throughout the day if poss?
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I still splurge at times and still treat myself to some sweets most days (though in small quantities). I've been seeing good results doing what I've been doing, so that has really helped to keep me on track. I also try to get in a pretty intense workout on days when I plan to go out to eat/have some drinks/etc, to minimize damage.

The best advice I have for you is to just try your absolute hardest for a couple of weeks. If you're anything like me, you'll start seeing some results, and that will help motivate you. At this point, it's turning into more of a lifestyle change for me. I would be suffering through life if I had to give up sweets completely :)

As someone else said, logging calories has been really helpful for me. For one, it's allowed me to pinpoint "bang for my buck" items.. such as these delicious s'mores ice cream sandwiches which really satisfy an ice cream craving for me but are only 250 calories.

Good luck!
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    enter it into your food diary before you eat maybe being calorie shocked might snap you out of your binge eating. I find it helps me when it comes to cravings. Also they say to wait 15 minutes once a craving begins. Usually after the 15 in you would have forgotten about the food you were thinking of. Also you might want to try brushing your teeth ratehr than snacking. You never like to snack after brushing your teeth. For one it tastes gross and second you will have to brush your teeth again after you eat so if you are lazy like me its too much work and not worth the extra snack. Try chewing on a piece of gum or sucking on a lifesaver, it may help your mind get off of food. I find I binge eat the worst when I am stressed so I know exactly what you are going thru. Good Luck.
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You need to get to the root of WHY you eat that way you do. You may be compensating for something emotionally. I don't think it's simply a matter of loving certain foods. Once you figure out why you're doing it, you need to figure out why you want/need to stop and make aplan to do it. Commit to the change, surround yourself with positive messages and support and continually tell yourself that eating those unhealthy items is simply not an option. You make decisions every day. Turn left or right, stand up or sit down.

My approach this time is baby steps. I started with changing one meal - when I had that down, I changed another. Now that I am feeling fairly confident with my eating I am moving on to exercise. it's a step by step process. Your first step is to find out why you're doing what you're doing.

Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Take a friend shopping with you for impulse control... Tell her not to let you touch the snacks! Don't go food shopping when you're hungry. Plan out your meals for the next couple of days so you aren't always thinking about what to eat next. Almost all of us are trying to overcome the control of food. It gets easier when you stop giving in to the impulse to binge.
  • Calliesmom1
    Calliesmom1 Posts: 78
    Options
    ME TOO! and everyone else. i love food. its the way my family celebrates everything. For Christmas, birthdays or as an reward...its all about FOOD! I crave everything. i used to eat 6,000 cals a day. And didnt realize it until i type it in here. & heres the wrost part i didnt realize. i thought i had done good that day. Just when u r driving stop and realize wat u r going to do. Its alot of steps from ur house to where ever you are going to get this junk food. And exercise! Once i work out, its alot of effort i dont want wasted. So i think first..is this going to undo wat i just did or help it. Thats keeps me aways from my boyfriend's oreos and eating wholegrain cheerios.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    If you don't want this, you won't do this. End of the story. We all love food. That is why we are here. But if you want it bad enough you will take responsbility of what you consume.

^^^^ couldn't agree more!:laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My advice is portion control! If you are like me, this won't work if you have to completely deny yourself things you love (for me that means chocolate, pizza, and the occasional french fries). But, I look up the values of something before I eat it and only eat the amount that fits into my goals. Also, don't eat "from the container". If you WANT chips, put a serving size onto a plate. That way, you eat one serving, and if you want more, you have to get up and conscientiously (eek spelling) make the choice to eat more. It takes the mindless eating out of it.

I eat chocolate every damn day and have lost 22 lb.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The first step starts with you. Are you ready to stop, or not? Once you've made up your mind, the rest becomes easier.
  • thekacers
    thekacers Posts: 68
    Options
    What's going through my head is a pig headed greed of wanting what I want. Nothing else matters except getting hold of that food. Feels like a drug, but I know that's being melodramatic.

It is like a drug - binge eaters can feel a sense of euphoria. But then you feel like *kitten* afterwards. You have to control yourself. I am a binge-eater, too. But I've done a lot of soul searching and I figured out why I go on binges and I'm trying to control it. I haven't binged in a few weeks and I feel great about that. I want to lose weight more than I want to eat all that food.
    I still hear the voice in my head, I still have the desire, especially when I'm upset. But I know how depressed I will feel afterwards. On the couple occasions that I did binge while using MFP, I accounted for it in my diary. When I saw how much I had eaten each time, I was pretty disgusted with myself. It was really bad, but it was an eye opener.
    You can do this, you just have to control yourself.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Start by logging EVERYTHING. All of it. Be honest. Don't try to change it yet, just log it all, big and small. Set your tracker up so you can monitor calories, carbs, fats, proteins, sugars, and sodium. Force yourself to start drinking 64 ounces (8 8 ounce glasses) of water a day to get started. Water fills a void, and thirst is often mistaken for hunger and causes binges.

When you can actually see what you're doing to yourself broken down into nutrition, it may serve as a wake-up call. When you're drinking enough water, you might find the cravings easier to control.

If not, then ADD healthy foods, even if you can't control the bad foods at first. Even if it means EATING MORE. Make sure you meet your daily eating goals for carbohydrates, fats, and protein. You may be binging because your body is missing something - adding that something might make the binges go away.

PS: before you go to the grocery store, EAT SOMETHING. Preferably something with lots of fat and proteins and complex carbs, but WHATEVER IT TAKES. Going to the grocery store hungry is the key to making poor food decisions. Going to the grocery store satisfied means that you might be better-equipped to choose wisely. If you can manage not to bring the crap home, it won't be there to eat.
  • Caramel2610
    Caramel2610 Posts: 22
    Options
    here's your sister - I hear you and UNDERSTAND every line of your message and every sentiment behind those lines.

I've been trying to lose 17 kilos (started at 10 kilos a couple of months ago).

Granted I'm now 15 weeks pregnant but that's no excuse because I've been trying to lose the 10 - 15 kilos for about a year now.

It's a vicious circle.

I'm currently paying to attend Sl1mm1ng World meetings once a week, and like u I don't have money to burn but still can't (don't) stick to the plan. The worst part is it's a very doable, healthy, balanced plan but the fault lies with me.

Interested in responses you get.
  • JoyousJustine67
    JoyousJustine67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you can have foods you like or similar you do need to read labels watch sugars and carbs i went thought my cabinets :) it is hard to break a habit but you can do it one day at a time ♥ when u loss your 1st five pounds you'll be on cloud 9 then you will keep trying . we didnt get this way over night so it will take time ask a friend to go to the store with you i did this in the beggining cause i wanted to buy cookies snacks and all that now i go to farm stand and buy 100 calorie treat add me if you want i will support you ♥
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    First you need to admit it is you doing it and you do have control over it. Something overrides your decision to eat well. Conquering that will change your habits.

I am exactly the same I had two weeks like this which has only just ended. I am glad I kept up the exercise which balanced it out. I just didn't care and didn't think about what I ate and ate when I wasn't hungry.

I can't think of a few things that 'make' me stray:

Laziness - can't cook wont cook attitude
    punishment - why bother? I'm fat anyway?
    Bad attitude - crap day, crap week
    Just plain kidding myself

There are so many tips I could give you for different situations. First I really do think you have figure out why you do what you do. Think about the emotions around binging and try to work on improving your relationship with your own body and yourself. For me martial arts helped me look at my body mechanically and now I think of food in the same way.

Your body is amazing and can do amazing things so equip it to do so. Eat well and eat things you like and be active in any way that makes you happy. Exercises is a necessary medicine, binge eating, low mood and a negative attitude are all linked and your body needs endorphins so get moving.

The only other tip I'd give you for now is don't punish yourself. If you fall off jump back on.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    There are probably 100 reason why you eat too much, or the wrong thing. Just start logging you food - every darn mouthful. In no time, you will see where you are going off the track, then you will know what to fix.

If you are really serious, you can clean out your house of al the junk, and buy foods that are good for you. There are tons of recipes available that taste good and are good for you. Even some of the "not so good" foods can be eaten in moderation, but that doesn't sound like you.

This can be done - so log the food and get started. Make some MFP friends and work on it.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it really is about keeping yourself accountable. You are much more capable than what your mind tells you sometimes. So when you say you can't control your eating, you really can, you just don't know how.

I think you should scrap all the junk food you've got in your kitchen/pantry. If you don't have it available, then you won't eat it, right?

I understand that food can be addictive. But you need to realize that this is a psychological addiction and not a physiological one. You don't NEED to be constantly eating, so you need to train yourself to restrain yourself.

Good luck!!!
  • leetbh
    leetbh Posts: 1
    Options
    Its called temptation, you just gotta look at yourself in the mirrior, or wherever and just tell yourself how much you wanna get fit.

you could try these tips they may help:

- Plan your meals for the full week and when to eat your meals, hopefully this way will keep you motivated to stay on it... (saving yourself from snacking)
    - Smaller portion sizes ( its shocking how much we over eat)
    - eating slower, and only drinking water/beverage after your meal, as the water/beverage expands your stomach and you feel less full.
    - Cleaning your teeth, drinking water (most of the time we're thristy, instead of hunger cravings *the minty toothpaste helps*)
    - If your really craving sweety foods (in moderation)... take the ones with natural sugar, sawping normal coke, for diet coke is the worst you can do, as the artifical sweeters mess up your body.

hopefully some of them help you.
    GL
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Stacey and I am a binge eater! I can do great all day but at night when everyone is asleep I stuff myself! I was so gung ho on losing in the beginning but the bingeing has got the best of me! I have to keep some stuff in the house for the kids and my husband so it is very hard! I don't have great advice for you because I am still trying to overcome this but having someone with the same issue to help you thru may help. Friend me if you would like.....I need a cure too. I am a closet overeater!!
  • Andrewsvan
    Andrewsvan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience with MFP.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have had it before where I have been curled up in bed crying with a type of pain at the concept of not being able to have junk of some type.
    I found this really difficult to break. I forced myself to drink a pint of squash, or have a boiled sweet. Something to give me a bit of sweet but not to much.

The only way I have overcome this is by re evaluating my entire diet. The reason I was craving such instant gratification from crap is because my body was lacking in what it needed and should have gained from a healthy and well balanced diet. Since I have changed my eating habits and am eating more healthily I no longer feel the need for constant junk. I wont say I never crave chocolate or crisps, because I do from time to time - but with nothing like the desire I did before.

You just need that little bit of will power to get you started - and it is in you somewhere - you just need to find it.

Have faith :-)