over my limit in protein???

Options
Hey all, just wondering if its a bad thing to be over in my protein goals? the number is an angry red and kind of freaked me out a bit. what do you think?

Replies

• sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think that MFP's preset daily protein allowance is ridiculously low (probably to make up for the fact that the sodium is too high :wink: ). You can eat 1 g of protein per lbs of your goal weight and you'll be fine, so don't sweat it! :smile:
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    not a big deal
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's not a limit, it's just a suggested goal. And the red isn't angry, it's just red.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 100g/day. MFP's settings for protein are pretty low. I've heard the rule of thumb is 1g of protein for every 1 lb of lean body mass.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Personally I adjusted mine to 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I believe we need more protein in order for our muscles to work more efficiently. I never stress if I go over on protein (or fiber for that matter) - I feel happier to be honest - a different story if it's carbs, fat or sugar! Arrr - haha. x
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    All of these numbers are guides, based on a 'recommended' value depending on your statistics. Nothing is absolute.

Just keep in mind that:

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories

If you're still within your target calorie range, then you're fine.
  • maksimsmom
    maksimsmom Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks for the responses everyone, i really appreciate it!