A bit about Dr. Oz.

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Nah I watch him because he does give out some knowledgable info

True that! I dont buy into everything but I do belive that he does try to help and I dont think its a bad thing to explore other things besides the pharm companys

It's not a matter of either/or--either you listen to Dr. Oz and try some of the products he endorses, or you must take drugs from the pharma companies. Why not just do our own research and learn how to eat smarter and move the body a little?...that seems to work for a lot of us. Works for me, anyway.
  • HypoToHealthy
    Options
    Seriously? I not a forum person, but seriously? Are you guys aware of the amount of stupidity in this discussion? The man has a TV show.
    1) You're not forced to watch his TV show.
    2) It's his TV show, he can do whatever the **** he wants.
    3) If someone dies because of him it's their own damn fault.

Like, seriously? Who the hell is stupid to the point of risking their life because of a guy on TV? It was your choice to watch the show and it was your choice to **** up. If I go on TV and tell you to buy a sword and start killing people with it will you do it? Of course not. If you don't have the judgement to make health related decisions and you do them based on a freaking TV show you shouldn't even be allowed to own a TV.
    Ever think of desperate people? People who are terrified of dying and will follow anyone who tells them they can be saved? It's so damn easy to judge them when it's not happening to you.

It has nothing to do with being stupid. Very smart people buy into bunk and pay for it with their lives. They're scared. They're human.

You don't know what's happening to me to make that statement. I'm human and I'm not doing that. That's being naive, not human.
    You're right, I don't know what's going on with you. But I do know you're being judgmental and holier-than-thou in presuming that anyone who grasps at straws is an idiot. You don't have to be stupid to make bad decisions; that's what I'm saying is part of being human. Some people rely on prayer, others on holistic medicine, others on energy healing, and some people buy into what Dr. Oz says. It doesn't make them stupid, particularly if affording the extraordinarily-expensive forms of real medicine that would actually work is not realistically attainable for them. How can you seriously blame people for listening to the person who gives them hope?

I'm not being any more judgmental than the people that are hating on Dr. Oz. And of course you don't have to be stupid to make bad decisions. But you can't also blame it all on the person who gives you an advice. And that's what confuses me about this discussion. Like someone is going to die because of him. Unless he's their own personal doctor and prescribes them stuff I don't see how he could be blamed.
    I don't blame anyone for listening to him. I do blame people for hurting themselfs. For doing weird stuff to their body without even researching or getting opinions from other doctors. And trust me, I've been there. From cutting to an ED, I've done some pretty stupid **** to my body. And that's why I'm so serious about this, because I know there are other ways and that your body and your life are the most precious things you have, and you shouldn't just mess with that after a 30 minute special.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    According to my friend, HCG is a safe, DOCTOR APPROVED weight loss program. Taking the drops and eating 500 calories a day will cause rapid weight loss. It must be so....It was on Dr. Oz!
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For people with health anxiety Dr. Oz is the WORST thing that can happen to them. Thus creating more panic for them, more needless trips to the physicians and needless tests and burdens on the system. The man perpetrates fear for the almighty dollar and should be booted in his *kitten* off the air.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The only person on TV that I ever trusted.

119.jpg
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have had alternative therapies work when nothing else would. I also had a friend whose mother had bone cancer and went vegetarian and all organic and got better. but I do know that it may not work for everyone. dr oz is covering many areas of medicine. I dont understand why people are blaming dr oz though. He didnt put a gun to anyone's head. and yea there are tons of scared people out there, BUT does scare mean stupid??? or did I miss that memo??
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Nah I watch him because he does give out some knowledgable info

Yup. Sometimes he he spews nonsense. Other times he is spot on. Like everything else, take it with a grain of salt and verify the sources.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

119.jpg

bob is badass

happy little trees:laugh:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I not a forum person, but seriously? Are you guys aware of the amount of stupidity in this discussion? The man has a TV show.

Like, seriously? Who the hell is stupid to the point of risking their life because of a guy on TV? It was your choice to watch the show and it was your choice to **** up. If I go on TV and tell you to buy a sword and start killing people with it will you do it? Of course not. If you don't have the judgement to make health related decisions and you do them based on a freaking TV show you shouldn't even be allowed to own a TV.
    Ever think of desperate people? People who are terrified of dying and will follow anyone who tells them they can be saved? It's so damn easy to judge them when it's not happening to you.

It has nothing to do with being stupid. Very smart people buy into bunk and pay for it with their lives. They're scared. They're human.

You don't know what's happening to me to make that statement. I'm human and I'm not doing that. That's being naive, not human.
    You're right, I don't know what's going on with you. But I do know you're being judgmental and holier-than-thou in presuming that anyone who grasps at straws is an idiot. You don't have to be stupid to make bad decisions; that's what I'm saying is part of being human. Some people rely on prayer, others on holistic medicine, others on energy healing, and some people buy into what Dr. Oz says. It doesn't make them stupid, particularly if affording the extraordinarily-expensive forms of real medicine that would actually work is not realistically attainable for them. How can you seriously blame people for listening to the person who gives them hope?

I'm not being any more judgmental than the people that are hating on Dr. Oz. And of course you don't have to be stupid to make bad decisions. But you can't also blame it all on the person who gives you an advice. And that's what confuses me about this discussion. Like someone is going to die because of him. Unless he's their own personal doctor and prescribes them stuff I don't see how he could be blamed.
    I don't blame anyone for listening to him. I do blame people for hurting themselfs. For doing weird stuff to their body without even researching or getting opinions from other doctors. And trust me, I've been there. From cutting to an ED, I've done some pretty stupid **** to my body. And that's why I'm so serious about this, because I know there are other ways and that your body and your life are the most precious things you have, and you shouldn't just mess with that after a 30 minute special.

I think it's more big pharma and big health insurance companies that a lot of people are fed up with. It's hard to identify an enemy that doesn't have a face or a name, but dr. Oz is the biggest name on TV that is the closest thing to a face for big pharma. He's our Osama bin Laden.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    People are sheep....as long as they have the mentality of a follower....
    People like him will thrive. Plain and simple!! That is the sad truth. :sad: :cry: :ohwell:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

There are a few problems specific to Dr. Oz. For one, he represents himself as a medical professional on his show. He uses the title, wears scrubs, and gives the impression that what he says is coming from an accepted medical perspective (and not by accident). It's not a stretch for people to think that the information coming from someone like that is reliable, particularly if it's someone who doesn't have decent access to a physician of their own for comparison.

And secondly, real doctors don't always give good news; Dr. Oz does. Real doctors might tell you that you need painful, expensive treatment just to get a less-than-50% chance of survival; Dr. Oz and his ilk tell you that the problem is really caused by something else and has an easy, surefire fix. The terror that comes with serious and life-threatening health conditions keeps people from thinking rationally, especially if they have little in the way of alternatives.
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    and I recall the hcg show. I dont believe dr oz endorsed it. he brought it on his show and had people who had both been successful and people who were not. there was another doctor there that talked about what people should and should not do when considering HCG. and they did it because so many people were being harmed or scammed when buying it from random places and not getting it from a doctor, and there are tons of docs selling HCG drops and shots so why not go hate on them???
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    1670139_2921.jpg
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I can forgive Dr. Oz, he's just figured out how to make himself rich and followed his nose. It's all the dumb schmucks who listen to him that I can't forgive, but luckily I don't have to cos Dr. Oz is killing them off one by one.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

119.jpg

:drinker: where are my oil paints? I miss Bob...
  • jypsyjulia
    jypsyjulia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    People have shown throughout history that if it's a quick fix, they're willing to look over potentially deadly side effects. That's because part of the human condition is IMPATIENCE, lol.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Are you a doctor, or did you go to medical school and study rigorously? I don't like thate everyone here is trying to loose weight, loosing weight is a postive thing, but yet your focussing your energy on Doctor Oz? Yes the media makes stuff up or makes things bigger then it seems but maybe it is his beliefs and works for him. How can you say it doesn't work when clearly all of our bodies are different and react differently. It sounds and looks like to me with all the negative posters that you guys are miserble with yourself. focus on being happy with yourself, your weightloss goals, rather than immature bashing on a person we probally will never even see in person.

I'm a doctor (a Ph.D. in a medical related field- I had some of the same classes MDs had). And I agree with those saying that Dr. Oz is a quack and that his information and approach is dangerous. Does he have some good information? Some. But it's surrounded by so much nonsense... most of his nonsense is harmless (really, mango extract isn't going to hurt anyone), but some of his nonsense IS dangerous... when a person stops taking her insulin without supervision of her personal MD. That's bad.

It's not immature to bash Dr. Oz. He's a TV personality and fair game.

It IS immature (or at least unwise) to blindly follow his council or to defend him faithfully without doing a bit of research into the things he promotes.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    But honestly I don't really "get" the hatred. Other than he's a quack and is constantly promoting such random "miracle" cures for things... other than that I don't know. I don't know of any horrible things he has promoted on his show.

It's the danger factor. I admit, I go a bit rabid when someone abuses their power for personal gain, especially if that abuse can harm another person's wallet and/or physical, mental, or spiritual health. Dr. Oz has that magic "Dr." in front of his name. People assume he is sharing medically sound information. He's not. And many have been hurt by his knowledge. At the very least, they've been duped out of money, but worse, I'm sure many have made decisions that have negatively impacted their healthy, possibly for years.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bumping for entertainment
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options

119.jpg

Awww... I miss him and his "happy little trees".