Protein for Breakfast

Options

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I go with a protein shake and a glass of milk (soy milk in my case). It's a high protein (17g) low sugar (1 net carb) shake and I can just mix it and go. I drink it on the way to work and it keeps me full until time for morning snack.
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    make up some jars of overnight oatmeal, in the morning put in your mix ins and go.

or change up your protein shakes, I have one most every day too but I switch 'em up pretty frequently
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I'm going to post 2 recipes for you in a bit. One is a protein pancake that can be mixed the night before and cooked in the morning. The other is a roasted asparagus and leek egg muffin variation. Both do beautifully for blood sugar problems.
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    >I'd have to say the opposite, don't expect life long changes through mediocrity.
    Average people do average things and get average results.

It takes dedication to get the things you want, and I've accepted that. In order to reach my goals I don't always get to enjoy what I eat.<

I have to agree. There are things I eat because they are good for me or meets a need - turmeric, kale in smoothie, etc- I throw things in a smoothie that aren't necessarily delicious because it is an efficient way to get the nutrition that I want. But I have plenty of opportunities to eat things that I LOVE. But these days I tend to choose what is good for me and what fits within my nutritional and dietary needs over what tastes magnificent, although often they are the same thing : )
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    GReek Yogurt!!! Add some fruit, granola,agave/honey
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    if sausage and peppers work, why not cook up a batch, divide into meals and freeze them. Then just nuke them
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I have to agree. There are things I eat because they are good for me or meets a need - turmeric, kale in smoothie, etc- I throw things in a smoothie that aren't necessarily delicious because it is an efficient way to get the nutrition that I want. But I have plenty of opportunities to eat things that I LOVE. But these days I tend to choose what is good for me and what fits within my nutritional and dietary needs over what tastes magnificent, although often they are the same thing : )

Some on gets it.
    I'm not saying every meal has to be miserable, but you have to be willing to do something you don't like to reach long term goals.
    I hate a lot of my diet. There's times when I'd much rather be eating pizza than having green beans and chicken. And there's days when I don't feel like drinking a half gallon of whole milk or downing a pound of beef in one sitting. But when my training is great that week, I know it's because I was doing everything possible to make it that way.
    It's called sacrifice.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every morning for breakfast. I use Wegman's Whey with 80 cal, around 18g protein and 2g sugar! The night before I blend 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen fruit, cinnamon, spinach and one scoop protein powder and keep it in the fridge for the next morning. It makes me feel healthy and energized in the morning. The spinach is a new addition, I can't taste it and it certainly has a lot of nutritional benefits :smile:
  • 247momma
    247momma Posts: 14
    Options
    I make egg muffins for the week and the heat it up and walk out the door eating it. On Sunday afternoon, I scramble about a dozen eggs and then fill prepared LARGE muffin tins with the egg, bacon and cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for 30min. Pull out let them cool and put in the refrigerator. Take them out in the morning as needed. It's about 2 eggs/ muffin plus the added protein from the bacon and the cheese. You can change it up with what ever you like. I have also done spinach and mushroom. It's quick, gluten free and full of healthy protein.
  • dawnm92
    dawnm92 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with almonds for breakfast pretty often. For me it works great because it's got excellent protein and healthy fats from the almonds and it tastes great too. I'm sure you could change up the nuts for variety too. I just happen to like almonds a lot!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    *singing* Peannnut, Peanut Butter and Jelly!

LOL!

No, but really, I do peanut butter for protein. You can buy the sugar free, organic, au natural kind. I am a BIG PB fan, so I might be a little biased.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    this morning i had Greek yogurt. (nice with honey or strawberries) and a mini cheese baybell. was yummy and actually filled me up. You could try making some home made protein bars. I saw one on here the other day that is a carrot cake protein bar. 150 cals and 17g protein. Looked really good and some people had made it and said it was great. go on search and type in home made protein bars. you can mix it up doing different ones each week. must cheaper that buying some! x
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    ******Crystal Farm's Liquid Egg Whties....I never thought I'd like this...four every 1/3 cup you get 10g of Protein...you can pour it into a fruit smoothie...

Ok so here is a list of solid protein on the go:

Pure Protein Bars...(Best protein per calories) IMO

Cottage Cheese (/Best natural source of slow digesting protein)

Scoop of Whey protein...( I have a shaker and I pour a scoop of soy or whey into 8 to 10 oz's of whater) and you have roughly 25g of protein)

Greek Yogurt (11 - 14g of protein)

Boil Egg whites the night before

Bake Chicken breast the night before (yes I will eat chicken breast anytime of the day)

Soy Burgers (microwave for 2 mins)

Make a Arnold's double protein Bread toasted egg white omlete with fetta cheese the night before. (I bag that and hit in the microwave the next morning for a breakfast sandwhich) Very Good

I guess that's a start
  • LisaMom2Lucas
    Options
    I know you said you get sick of protein shakes but I've recently started drinking GNC lean shakes, and they are AWESOME! They are filling and delish. I have 3 kids and 2 jobs and don't have a lot of time in the morning and I don't ever feel like eating "real food" so this is perfect for me. Plus -- only 6 carbs and 25g of protein!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love homemade protein smoothies...why not change it up with different fruits? I make mine with Fat-free milk, ice, Splenda, a scoop of Isopure protein powder for 110 cals and 21 grams of protein, and throw in whatever fruit I have.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Don't cook anything. Just mix whey protein in with your coffee. It makes it creamy and sweet, so you can hold off on adding cream and sugar to it.
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder in my oatmeal when I am not having egg whites.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese really satisfies my morning hunger, and it keeps me full for a very long time. Good luck!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I get at least 30g of protein for breakfast. cook something for the week and freeze it or portion it out and put it in the fridge, or even just cook it the night before and heat it up in the am. have a protein shake in the am -- these are super quick and easy. I always put beans (black beans and/or white kidney beans) and canned pumpkin in mine so they are even healthier -- you can also add some spinach. These are pretty easy to cover up - meaning you don't feel like you're eating a bean or spinach shake. You can also throw in some dry instant coffee if you like coffee and need the caffein. :) I make my boyfriend protein infused muffins -- which means I take a muffin mix (I like the krusteaz fat free) and mix in two scoops of vanilla protein powder, bake muffins on the smaller side or make a loaf, and send two muffins with him to work. I'll make a couple batches at a time and freeze them, and then just take a couple out of the freezer the night before and put in the fridge for him so he can grab on the way to work. Also do the same with eggs - hard boil some, put two in a zip loc baggie and send them to work with him. :)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie in the morning that has over 40g of protein in it, and doesn't really take much longer than a bowl of cereal or toast to throw everything in the blender.

1/2 cup frozen berries (whatever flavor you like)
    1/2 cup milk (I use 2%, personal preference there as well)
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 scoop whey protein powder (I use the 100% Iso-Protein from North Coast Naturals, vanilla flavor)

Blend it up, pour into a bottle or thermos you can cap and take in the car, and off you go.

With the ingredients I use, it's 276 calories, 21g carbs, 2g fat, 42g protein, 4g fiber