Protein for Breakfast

Options

Replies

• peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing in the world for me when I am in a rush for breakfast:

Quest Protein bars. Gluten free, 20 grams of whey protein, 17 grams of fiber, no weird or artificial ingredients, sweetened with stevia and pretty tasty (eating the strawberry cheescake right now-yum!)

WHen I have time, I love a protein smoothie with kale, frozen banana, frozen mango and almond milk. Eggs can be microwaved really fast as well.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese? I eat some with my breakfast, and I think they make little to go packs of it.

Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 2% milkfat, 4 oz
    102 (cal)
    4(carbs)
    2 (fat)
    16(protein)
    0(sugar)
    8(calcium)
  • kimdoes
    kimdoes Posts: 90
    Options
    I eat Chobani greek yogurt almost every morning. It's high in protein and fat free... and delicious!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mix your protein powder in with your oatmeal for something a little different.
    cottage cheese is a good source of protein, if you like it(I do)
  • dbattles0182
    Options
    I heard you can do a hamburger patty and egg whites. Thats alot of morning protein.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I cook up a big pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts on the weekend with various salt-free Mrs Dash seasonings, slice them and weigh out 3 oz portions into snack size ziplocks, and freeze all but what I plan to eat that day. Then I have quick easy meal additions or if I need more protein with breakfast I use chicken instead of salty fatty sausage. It's only a minute or 2 in the microwave to heat it up even from frozen. I do the same with turkey breast.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    cook something for the week and freeze it or portion it out and put it in the fridge, or even just cook it the night before and heat it up in the am.
    Also do the same with eggs - hard boil some, put two in a zip loc baggie and send them to work with him. :)

^^This. I cook bacon, sausage, eggs (hard-boiled) all ahead of time and can just grab/re-heat in the morning. This morning I didn't roll out of bed until almost 7am (when I should be leaving lol), had 3 strips of bacon and 2 hard boiled eggs, was still hungry so I had some almond butter with strawberries. If I get up early enough, I'll actually fry up eggs (I'm not a fan of re-heated fried or scrambled eggs, but I've done it), and re-heat the bacon or sausage.

I've also been known to make tuna salad and eat it for breakfast. Weird craving, lol. But also something that can be made ahead. Breakfast doesn't have to be typical breakfast foods!

I'm also IR and gluten-intolerant, though I haven't been tested. (I don't see a point in paying to get tested [no insurance, either] when I already know gluten causes me stomach issues!)
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    GReek Yogurt!!! Add some fruit, granola,agave/honey

There ya go ;)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I make an egg croissant with some wild game bacon the night before and zap it in the micro to warm it up and eat it on the way. That or greek yogurt with protein powder or you can make a protein shake to drink the night before.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Prepare as much the night before as you can. I get up @ 4:30 and on the road @ 6-I don't eat until 9, because the thought of eating something that early gags me. If I'm hungry I grab a handful of nuts-breakfasts are usually a protein drink with unsweetened almond milk, flaxseeds, organic strawberries, and cheesecake sugar free pudding. I sometimes make a cheese, broccoli & onion egg white omelette, again the night before, with chicken and apple sausages. Good luck!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a miserable experience... If you're in a diet where you do not enjoy eating what you are eating, it is going to be the epitome of a diet. Don't expect life long changes through this. (I would never get in bed with a food plan that I have to force down daily and I don't have any enjoyment eating, that depresses me even thinking about it.)

I'd have to say the opposite, don't expect life long changes through mediocrity.
    Average people do average things and get average results.

It takes dedication to get the things you want, and I've accepted that. In order to reach my goals I don't always get to enjoy what I eat.

I'm with this . . . . depends on your goals, if they are just to lose weight, sure.............you can keep eating things that are not great for you, but keep portions in control.

It comes down to eating to live, not living to eat. Food is fuel, we chose to change the way it tasted from its natural state..........and in doing so, made it taste better, and made it worse for us. I eat processed foods, I eat pizza, ice cream, etc.............now and then. But as a whole, I eat foods that I "enjoy" much less frequently. If your physique goals are more "extreme" than losing a little fat, then your diet needs to be "extreme" as well.
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cook the sausage or meat over the weekend and store in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave.

I do this with my eggs... I make them on Sunday, put them in individual ziplock baggies and place in the freezer. When I'm ready to eat them, I just pop the whole thing in the microwave for 45 sec to 1 min and it's nice and hot and ready for my english muffin. :)

For smoothies, try different add ins to change it up. buy assorted fruit and blend a few pieces in when you are making the shake. I have a magic bullet and it's pretty awesome. it makes individual sized shakes. Yum.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have hot porridge (3-4 mins in the microwave) with a banana or tinned peach slices most mornings and its a pretty good slow releasing filler and great for reducing cholesterol too!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    you could try refrigerator oatmeal...

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

You can tweak it to pretty much any flavor you want and it's super easy to grab and go. and it's healthy too! =)
  • StephinWA
    StephinWA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to mix cottage cheese into my oats as a last step before I eat them. Sounds weird, and there's more sodium in there than I'd like, but it does give you a nice protein boost. Also, make the oats with skim milk instead of water.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Do you realize that your oats also contain gluten unless you have oats that are specifically gluten-free? Just a heads-up.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater and have found that protein shakes work for me. If you have health issues, you may have to find the right one that works for you, but some of them have up to 42g of protein. They are an acquired taste I will add.
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    There are some great recommendations in the posts. Time seems to be more of a problem than food. Have you tried preparing your meals the night before? Or better yet, on Sunday for the entire work week? That way, you can just grab it and go or microwave it and go. Some brands of Greek yogurt have up to 22g of protein, so that is a good alternative.

Also, how many grams of protein do you want to get? That should also dictate your breakfast goals. A protein shake is a good supplement, but you can probably get the same amount from eating a meal. Your body will only take so many grams of protein per 4 hours, so everthing over approximately 20 grams may end up not being used.

You can make breakfast tacos (chicken) on Sunday then refrigerate/freeze them for use during the week. You will have to be creative to meet your needs. There are a lot of good recipes on this site that should help you out. In addition to that, most people here will help you.

Best of luck.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that quite a few people drink protein shakes. What kind of protein mix are you using. Anything I have tasted in the past is just yuck. Sometimes in the evening, cuz I go to the gym later, that would be a good alternative to coming home and cooking or eating nothing. Thanks for the input. :) for this post, I have egg whites in the morning along with Kashi Go Lean cereal.