Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So... doctor put me on no carbs after lunch

What kind of doctor?

My GP

Since you're going through the effort of going to the doctor about this, have your REAL bf% calculated (not just the formula from a website). You may be losing fat and it just not reflecting on the scale. The goal EVERYONE here --no matter if they want to be rail thin or toned -- is to lose bf%. The scale is a *kitten*. Don't let him get you down.

Thanks, I was going to buy BF scales but I've been told I can't use them because of my pacemaker that I had fitted last year! Damn thing changed my life and not in a nice way! At least i'm back to boxing and karate now though...

The scales I've used aren't that accurate. There are more options.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    This happened to me this week after following low carb. great losses at first, but then i gained 2.4lb after working really hard all week. some people cannot tolerate such low carbs. I saw 2 dietitians who advised me to add more in. they said 30protein/30fat/40carbs is a good idea. Im now shooting for 1500 cals/113g protein/150carbs/50 fat. hoping the scales start moving again. I would definitely add some back in!

Zara x
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had your measurements done? Because I know that I have not been losing weight on the scale but I have been losing in the inches! Just a thought..
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your protein intake. Your carbs for the past two weeks have been over 100g if mot 150g and your protein. Is way lower. Try to keep your carbs under 100g and your protein as close to 150g as you can. You body beds protein to rebuild after working out
    Also increase your fat intake. I just read an article about people who have poor insulin tolerance doing well on a lower carb, higher fat intake. Your are eating almost as many carbs as I do on a 2500 calorie diet.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't follow the no carb thing after a certain time. Most of this is water and depends on your consistency.

Have you ever read about carb depletion that body builders do to get ready for a show? IT can cause them to lose a lot of water weight within the week heading to the show. By limiting carbs and pounding water then final day no water and upping carbs (essentially dries you out)

I would start taking measurements and photos and not worry so much of what the scale says your weight is.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Where is your protein? Seems most of your cals in the last few days are carbs. Try to balance your macros at the very least, get enough 1.) Protein, then 2.) Fat, then 3.) Carbs.

If the doc wants you to cut carbs, using the above approach will naturally do that. It sounds like he/she was trying to shift your pattern of being carb-heavy in your diet. Doesn't matter what time of the day you eat them, though.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I went low carb April 1st &have lost 13 pounds since. This is what worked for ME:

I upped my calories closer my BMR to between 1700-1850 (BMR is 1709).
    Lowered my carbs to average 75g/day.
    Upped my protien to average 150g/day.
    Varied my workouts.

The above got me out of a 3 month plateau. Again, this is what worked for me. Not saying that everyone else will lose 13 pounds by doing it. From looking at your diary it looks like if you did the above you may see some results. Maybe try that and see how it goes. I did ti for 30 days thinking it wouldn't do much, but it worked for me.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • MollyKid
    MollyKid Posts: 11
    Options
    They say that muscle weighs more than fat... are you working out and buildiing muscle? That could be it.
  • cmc6921
    cmc6921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Increasing your protein and fat intake should help you burn more calories/fat....don't give up. Try focusing on lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, and one of my favorites that is almost like a treat is 3/4 c cottage cheese with fresh strawberries and blackberries...the fruits have carbs, but at least they are natural ones. I'm just at the beginning of this weight-loss journey (but I've had many others over the years and know how much a stall can be discouraging) Please don't give up! Add me as a friend if you need someone to support you! The more people I have, the better off I am!
  • tinawharrison
    tinawharrison Posts: 123
    Options
    Have you ever had your measurements done? Because I know that I have not been losing weight on the scale but I have been losing in the inches! Just a thought..

No inches lost either :(
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    So... doctor put me on no carbs after lunch, or as low as possible without starving myself. I followed it really well apart from one night out. I've increased my calories and exercise regime... Been trying so hard and the then I think, I'll weigh in today, it's been a while! They say i've put 2 lbs on!!!!!! How???? Is this ever going to work, it's almost 2 months since I lost any weight, so fed up, don't really feel like carrying on with this anymore :cry:

Once people up their exercise they seem to "gain weight" but its a lot of the times water retention to repair muscles. I would wait it out and see what happens and don't fret on this . Everything takes time :) How long since you upped your exercise...this happened to me and my weight stayed the same then boom just dropped one week.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic and can you clarify why your doctor specifically wants you to cut the carbs after lunch but not before lunch?

Is he having you restrict carbohydrate totals or is he strictly asking you to eat them earlier in the day?

Just curious as to his reasoning. I'm assuming you have some blood sugar related conditions.
  • KSCarnivore
    KSCarnivore Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a BF scale. The manufacturer included warnings against using it with a pacemaker. Be careful.
  • fitzonegirl
    fitzonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! Last year I only lost 1lb but the way my clothes fit showed me that I had lost inches! I would mix up your exercise routines...a little muscle confusion..seemed to help me. Wishing you the best!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    Are you diabetic and can you clarify why your doctor specifically wants you to cut the carbs after lunch but not before lunch?

Is he having you restrict carbohydrate totals or is he strictly asking you to eat them earlier in the day?

Just curious as to his reasoning. I'm assuming you have some blood sugar related conditions.

I have an under active thyroid and a really slow metabolism, this was her reasoning for trying to get me to cut out carbs from bread, rice, pasta and potatoes in the evening. She didn't, however give me a total. I've just reset my macros to give 40:30:30 a try... I don't eat much fat though, scares the hell out of me! Heart trouble runs in our family and I have a lot of issues with my heart already at 39!
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    So... doctor put me on no carbs after lunch, or as low as possible without starving myself. I followed it really well apart from one night out. I've increased my calories and exercise regime... Been trying so hard and the then I think, I'll weigh in today, it's been a while! They say i've put 2 lbs on!!!!!! How???? Is this ever going to work, it's almost 2 months since I lost any weight, so fed up, don't really feel like carrying on with this anymore :cry:

Once people up their exercise they seem to "gain weight" but its a lot of the times water retention to repair muscles. I would wait it out and see what happens and don't fret on this . Everything takes time :) How long since you upped your exercise...this happened to me and my weight stayed the same then boom just dropped one week.

This has been going on for almost 7 weeks now, it's just so frustrating :(
  • Thomakk
    Thomakk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was stalled for more than two months. I doubled my water; my goal is 16 cups instead of 8. Now I'm seeing progress. It's a simple thing to do. Try it for a week or two.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid and a really slow metabolism, this was her reasoning for trying to get me to cut out carbs from bread, rice, pasta and potatoes in the evening. She didn't, however give me a total. I've just reset my macros to give 40:30:30 a try... I don't eat much fat though, scares the hell out of me! Heart trouble runs in our family and I have a lot of issues with my heart already at 39!

Dietary fat does NOT lend to heart disease. Being fat does. :)

Read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fat though, scares the hell out of me!

This needs fixing as low carb low fat isn't going to work - Google "rabbit starvation". You need to make fat your friend to low carb, and you'll get better Total/HDL cholesterol ratios as a result.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options

I also have hypothyroid. I have heart disease in my family - both my parents died young of heart disease. That said, the whole "fats lead to heart disease" thing has been debunked. Read up on it. Vegetable fats (the processed kind) are not good, so stay away from them. Stick with olive oil, butter and coconut oils. It's the weight that causes the cardiovascular disease.

Like I said in my earlier post, I fill my protein and fats first, then let the carbs fill in. This puts me at around 80-100 carbs a day. It works ( I eat very little grains or potatoes, most carbs are from dairy, veggies and fruit.) I'm never hungry and it's not difficult. I eat two meals a day, breakfast and then mid-afternoon around 4-5:00. In bed for my 8 hours by 10, up at 5:30.

I am older than you, my BMR is 1347 and I eat 1500 a day PLUS exercise calories. I just make it an even 1800 on my exercise days, I'm not burning that much more. This has me losing 1/2 - 1 pound a week. I only have 10 pounds to lose, (winter weight). I usually have a day of 2200 in there every week.

My maintenance is 2000 - and that's with light exercise (walking hills) for one hour 4 days a week.

Eating too little will stall you. Too much and you'll gain. I find that even with the thyroid problem (mine is regulated with meds) I have a near normal metabolism.

It took me a few months of trial and error but I'm dialed in. Be patient and log everything. Don't make a lot of changes at once. Try to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. It's not an exact science.