New rules of lifting for women

Options
Just wondering if anyone has this book. Have u had good results and what weights if any are u supposed to use, Do you need any other equipment. I am looking to include strength training in my workouts and I thought I would give this a go... but is it worth buying.

Replies

• rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Commenting to see any replies. I got the book and started reading it...but haven't gotten to the actual plan part yet. I've heard you gain a little weight first when on this program, so I've delayed my start with it. I joined a Biggest Looser contest at work right after I bought the book. We get DQ'd if we have a gain 2 weeks in a row...so I didn't want to chance that yet...lol
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I got the book about a month ago and did the program for two weeks (Stage One). I've been strength training for over 2 years now and wanted to mix things up.....but I found that it's not a hard enough workout for me. I was used to burning about 430 or so calories every workout but with New Rules was only burning about 130. Not enough for this girl!

That being said if you've not lifted before I think it would be an excellent way to start!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I started exactly a month ago today. At first I thought it was easy, but it's not easy anymore. It's hard. Stick with it. It's not about burning calories at this point -- it's about creating the body that I want. If I'm worried about calories, I eat less. I worked out before the program and killed myself so yeah, at first it feels easy. But just because I felt I was killing myself didn't mean I was doing things effeciently.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I started about two months ago and am just finishing up stage 1. So far I like it. My weight has remained relatively stable (at the high end of the range I've been in for a while). Unfortunately for me I've gained inches in places I don't want them. I do think that's a temporary thing though. I'm definitely adding muscle, and eventually hope to see the fat loss improve. For now I intend to continue.

I'd definitely recommend the book. It's an easy read and a good introduction if you haven't lifted heavy before. It's educational without being at all condescending.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I completed the first of 7 stages and I am very pleased that it got me into heavy lifting.

That being said, I have switched to stronglifts.com. It's free, and I think more effective as well as using only compound lifts instead of split routines, hence making the total time in the gym shorter.

There are groups on here for both NROL4W and stronglifts for women.

blessings.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I bought and read the entire book. I chose not to go with the program because it seemed high maintenance (lots of assistance exercises). I went with Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength instead, for 3 months. I'm now transitioning to RPT (reverse pyramid training).

I did learn some things from the book. And the author has a decent sense of humor.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm on Stage 3 and love it. It definitely gets harder as you get farther into it. And for me it got more fun. But I also love lifting weights! It's not for everybody, but give it a shot.

It's all about overall results. Invest in a tape measure, because a lot of your progress is going to be in inches not necessarily the scale. Give it a try, but stick with it through at least the first stage. See how it works for you.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got the book about a month ago and did the program for two weeks (Stage One). I've been strength training for over 2 years now and wanted to mix things up.....but I found that it's not a hard enough workout for me. I was used to burning about 430 or so calories every workout but with New Rules was only burning about 130. Not enough for this girl!

That being said if you've not lifted before I think it would be an excellent way to start!

I'm using NROLFW and have lifted quite a bit in the past but this is still a challenging workout for me because of the variations the author suggests and the amount of weight I use. So I'm a bit surprised at your assessment. And I thought having prior experience with lifting made it easier to do the program but not easier on my muscles as I was familiar with the exercises and had a good idea of what weight to use.

To the OP - if you're looking for a good assessment and support there's a separate MFP group dedicated to NROLFW. You can probably do a search for it and get more responses from them as well. Good luck!
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I got this book from my local library, super helpful and a really nice read (especially for a 9 hour closing shift hahaha made time fly!)

one thing, i can't do some of the exercises or even their variations due to old injuries from horse back riding (namely, push-ups. absolutely no can do. it aggravates my back too much in all variations and i end up bed bound for a week). no big deal, any of the ones i liked and felt were challenging i used. so far, my muscles are sore but i feel GOOD.

loving their suggestions, loving the meal plan. some of the recipes sound amazing and EASY.
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've got the book, but don't have all the equipment (only got barbell/weights and dumbells), and I'm not ready to walk into a weight room in the gym, especially with the book!

Does angone know if stronglifts needs gym equipment, or are there any other programmes that just use weights?
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm a few weeks into stage one and am enjoying using the big 'man' weights. I think you'd definately have to have a gym membership to follow this program. It uses a squat rack with various weight plates, bar bells, dumb bells and a multi use pulley machine. If you get into it and find it's too easy, it may be because you aren't using heavy enough weights or if you're not a beginner just advance to another stage.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through the book now and I'm hoping to start the 1st phase Monday. Pls feel free to add me as a friend if you wish:)

I am touring a gym tomorrow and I'm bringing in my book and specifically asking if their personal trainers will help me with this program. I have no wish right now to try another
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've got the book, but don't have all the equipment (only got barbell/weights and dumbells), and I'm not ready to walk into a weight room in the gym, especially with the book!

Does angone know if stronglifts needs gym equipment, or are there any other programmes that just use weights?
    You can adapt a lot of the exercises to use what you have. Not everything requires gym equipment or even a gym membership.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm one week into Stage 2 and am still LOVING NR. It's soo much better than just cardio and I'm getting much stronger :) I've lost body fat ( I think, visually/measurements wise I'm smaller) but no poundage.

You may be able to do the first part at home if you have at least 20 lb weights.. but in reality you need a gym. Seated rows I'm doing like 80 lbs, Lunges like 70 lbs (two 35 lb weights), squats like 100 and deadlifts 100 so it's definitely not an at home program unless you have a real home gym.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is my second time doing it. the first time i wasnt really interested in weight loss. this time i am.

it's a good book regardless of your background. i wasnt new to lifting by any means, so the "go girl you can lift heavy" idea was lost on me, but it is a good program for increasing your strength since most of the movements are compound exercises

stage 1 was easier movement wise, but you get out of it what you put in. i was always pushing my weights with every set and every workout, so there's no way i can say it was easy. just to put it in perspective i started deadlifting at 75# and ended at 175# and my squats went from 85#-160# so I was all about attacking the weights for those 8 workouts.

stronglifts you need will also need oly bars and dumbbells

also as long as you're eating at a deficit, you arent going to gain anything more than water when lifting heavy. and the water gain is temporary
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of stage 2 and am enjoying it. It's a great introduction to heavy lifting, and even if you decide that it's not for you, you learn a ton about fitness and nutrition. The book debunks the reigning myths on women and weight training, and it does so with quite a bit of humor. My favorite outcome from following this program is to have met an incredibly supportive group of confident, sexy ladies here on MFP who believe in strength and fitness rather than just a number on the scale.

You need free weights, a barbell, and some gym machines. There are some variations for the home gym. The program will be as easy or as hard as you make it - it doesn't prescribe the weight you should use, just tells you to go as heavy as you can, and to increase the weights every time you work out (how that would make it "not hard enough" for anybody escapes me).

Good luck!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

You can adapt a lot of the exercises to use what you have. Not everything requires gym equipment or even a gym membership.

Me. I am 1/2 way through stage 3. At first it was easy as I'm not new to lifting or working out BUT it is getting harder. I also have no interest in stepping into a gym at all. I do everything from home and only use a barbell and dumbells. I modify everything that is used with equipment from a gym. It works for this stay-at-home mom. :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued, but, can I do it alone? I don't have a gym buddy. Do you need a spotter and someone who knows what they're doing to be successful? I have zero experience lifting :-\
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would definitely give this book a try if you are looking for something different.

There is an entire GROUP on MFP that are doing this program: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

As for the gym and needing a buddy, the answer is no. I do it myself and I drag my book in with me. I pre-read my exercises for the day and if I have questions on form (and yes, I practice the basic move first), there are lots of videos out there (In addition to the pictures in the book) that can show you the proper form and technique. (lots of links in the group pages).

Also, I made a calender and a spreadsheet for tracking the exercises, reps, etc. I'm just a nerd like that, but it helps me.

What surprises me most is how quickly I complete the exercises each day. It never takes more than 30 minutes. Don't let that fool you, the program is is tough as you make it. I absolutely push myself each and every time I go at it. I keep the rests periods they recommend and do the exercises in the order the book tells me.

I've lifted off an on for most of my adult life (I'm 47) and I am secure in the gym with the weights/machines. If that intimidates you, just set up an appointment with the gym staff to give you a go thru. THAT IS THEIR JOB! You do not need a trainer.

Hope this info helps.. Good luck to you...
    and if you like, feel free to add me, I'm happy to help anyway I can!
    c