Straight talk. How do I ease the HUNGER?

Options
BobOki
BobOki Posts: 245 Member
Don't sugar coat anything, not needed.
This whole less calories is not a problem, this whole eat better food is not a problem, this whole eat less bad foods is not a problem. Now, this whole eat a ton less.... well it IS a problem.
So far I am doing a-ok but the ONLY thing I am struggling with is feeling hungry, all day. Feel free to look at my diet that I have eaten thus far (figuring out wth is good) and tell me where I can improve obviously. I dislike most veggies, so thats out, and I never really liked breads much. Ican't go around eating 100% meat all day, and fruits and nuts are very very much not filling.

Anyone know a way to stunt your hunger? Cafeene kinda helps, but I assume thats "bad" so I am left with.... dying. Food... must.... have.. food... grumble grumble. My will is good, and I have been true since I have joined, but all the will in the world does not help ease the hunger pains. So.. please all, suggestions, tips, etc (and no, drink more water does not help... then I am hungry and my stomache makes slosh sounds).

Replies

• renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Consider adding vegetables to your diet.:smile:
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    From your diary, it doesn't look like you are eating all of your calories.. unless, maybe you just didn't log everything?

You might try experimenting with veggies, to find ones you do like.

I honestly saw mostly meat.. lots of steak. You could always balance that out with fruits and vegetables, whole grain pasta, low fat cheese, yogurt, beans.. etc.
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt can be filling, maybe try a homemade granola bar or fruit salad.
  • JustCallMeLucky
    Options
    I am the same as you... Hunger is my enemy. Food is my comfort.. :) But in the past, and from tomorrow onward I will revert to what has worked for me in the past. It has never failed, though my willpower does....... often. Particularly as I am not a fruit eater.

My trick is smoothies, truly it works. They fill you completely up. You can even disguise some veg in them. Yum. :)

But the secret to curbing my hungers pangs, and sugar cravings are spirulina, for the smoothies, and chromium for afterward. Completely natural so no weird side effects. Spirulina is a natural multivitimin, that will turn your smootie an alarming shade of green but otherwise is fine to drink. Chromium was recommended to me by my doctor, and is very good but while your not craving sugars it also limits your desire for food which made me cranky as all get out. I need food... I just need to want healthy food instead of sugar. :)

I should mention, spirulina curbs your appitite also.

Hope this helps.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    You have a lot of processed foods in your diary. You should try and add in more varieties. Fruits, veggies, lean meats... etc.

Check out my diary, see how much food I am taking in? I eat a lot and average about 1200-1300 a day. Not only can I eat 'more' with fresh foods, but I stay full and rarely ever feel hungry...
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Eat more, you should eat your exercise calories back.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    beans, lentils, chickpeas, oats = filling and delicious
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    How about lots of spaghetti and salad? I'm hoping you like those. If you don't like veggies, it's usually a texture thing. How about beef vegetable soup?

The key to staying not-hungry is to eat plenty of protein. Easy enough, you like meat. How about eggs? With bacon? Start adding whatever vegetables you will eat - baked potatoes, corn, carrots. Whatever vegetables you do eat will help you fill the nutrients your body needs.

Sometimes as adults we are asked to do stuff that we don't like. This is one of those times. Eat what you can. Try new stuff. You really do need the vegetables, they are important. I never ate raw tomatoes until I was in my forties. Ack. But when I was trying to get the nutrients I needed, I had to admit they were good for me. (on sandwiches. Not eating them plain. blech. Still.) When your body gets the sufficient nutrients, you don't have cravings anymore.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I just discovered if I practice 20 minutes yoga before meal, I feel less hungry. Next time you can try that if possible.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not the answer you're looking for, but more veggies is really what you will find to be more satisfying while maintaining your calorie goal.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Not the answer you're looking for, but more veggies is really what you will find to be more satisfying while maintaining your calorie goal.

I don't hate veggies and in fact I eat lots of them every day but to be honest I feel they are not as fulfilling as I have been told...I might feel full at the moment of eating but 5 minutes later, I crave for more...

I eat lots of broccoli, asparagus, spinach, cilantro and lettuce. I don't like tomatoes except if they are grape tomatoes. :) My new obsession is Daikon raddish. :)
  • creativephoenix
    creativephoenix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to divide my food up throughout the day more. I will have a mid afternoon snack, dinner, and then a snack a couple of hours after dinner. And my snacks are usually a dried fruit/nut/dark chocolate mixture (small amount is only 150 calories), and then also a Skinny Cow ice cream bar (only 140 calories). I have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I treat myself for my snacks but keep them under a certain calorie mark--going super healthy for one and splurging on the ice cream bar for the other. Win win!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat more food, man!!
    Of course you're hungry, you only have a net goal of 1700 cals a day and most days you are WAY under that.
    The great news is that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight - you need to create a moderate calorie deficit each day and keep doing it for as long as it takes. If you are hungry all the time you're going to get pissed off and give up - what's the point in that?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Vegetables
    Beans
    and tofu noodles (bulky as heck!)
  • VeganDoc
    VeganDoc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It appears as though (1) you are not drinking sufficient water and (2) the processed foods that you are eating have a ton of sodium. Try drinking water when you begin to feel hungry, as sometimes our bodies feel as though they are hungry when in fact, they are dehydrated. This will also help to wash the sodium out of your system. Try tracking your sodium intake with a goal of no more than 1500 milligrams per day.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I don't hate veggies and in fact I eat lots of them every day but to be honest I feel they are not as fulfilling as I have been told...I might feel full at the moment of eating but 5 minutes later, I crave for more...

I eat lots of broccoli, asparagus, spinach, cilantro and lettuce. I don't like tomatoes except if they are grape tomatoes. :) My new obsession is Daikon raddish. :)

You might try different prep methods.As an example, eating leafy raw spinach doesn't satisfy, although I like the taste of it. But cooking it down into a more compact and solid form, and adding a touch of olive oil makes it quite filling.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    More veggies. More fiber. More protein-dense foods.

Also, restaurant and fast food is not going to fill you up much in the long run. The food is really calorie dense, so you're much better off cooking for yourself and prepping your meals. You can eat a lot more volume of food for the same calories.
  • flanchick
    flanchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I checked out your diary and you are waaay below your allowed calories. No wonder you are hungry. The people saying eat more are right. Eat more of whatever foods you like - have snacks in between meals.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Here in the south we have two kinds of foods... proccessed and only mostly dead.
    Looks like the general consensus is: Even though you said you hate it, here, have some veggies.
    /wrist

Looks like spahgetti might be an option, didn't look too high in calories. I have not yet gotten down my eating habbits well enough to plan (also as an IT person the sudden on-call makes it even more hard to plan) ahead so I have ended up late at night with like 700+ calories left over, after my exersice. I think this might take some work to get to a point where I can ensure that I can exersice, or that I have food I can eat if I do not. Hard to get that hour in on the treadmill or walking or whatever horrible sweat inducing thing I might do to make myself feel skinnier if I get called to work a 24 hour straight "OMG WTF EMERGENCY" becuase some suit can't check his ipad mail.

Looks like I will have to try more veggies, gag me with a spoon, as an adult. So.. just to make sure... no one has that magic 2 calories totally awesome tasting and more filling than a 16oz steak dinner food that has all the vitamins I could need times 2? Man... 21 century my butt.