Is a Fitbit worth the money?

Options
124»

Replies

• SarahClaireB
    SarahClaireB Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    after reading posts on here and after alot of thought, I ordered one yesterday so although I cant really give an opinion now give me a week :laugh:
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    Love love love agree with everyone else.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm a gadget geek, and loved mine. It took a bath and quit working, so I'm hoping to get another soon when it comes on sale.
  • jenniferannkoch
    jenniferannkoch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had one for about a week, it was NOT at all accurate for me, it was WAY off just my opinion. I even calibrated it to my stride etc. and it would calculate all kinds of steps while it was sitting still...I decided I lvoed it and the concept BUT just wasnt worth $100 if it wasnt accurate for me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    and here is a good review of the possible inaccuracy that might come with the hefty purchase

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=does_it_really_whats_the_deal_with_the_bodybugg

The problem with that post is it is from 2009. That is a lot of time, and a lot of change in the Bodybugg/Bodymedia Fit. This also would have no bearing on the Fitbit which works differently with a different website.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I had one for about a week, it was NOT at all accurate for me, it was WAY off just my opinion. I even calibrated it to my stride etc. and it would calculate all kinds of steps while it was sitting still...I decided I lvoed it and the concept BUT just wasnt worth $100 if it wasnt accurate for me.

What do you define as "all kinds of steps" Anything with an accelerometer including the Bodybugg and Bodymedia fit, will register steps for non-step activity say driving in a car down a bumpy road. A few hundred extra steps in a day is not in my opinion a big deal. I don't have a Fitbit, but as far as I know from others who do, you can go to the website to enter other activity such as exercises it can't measure like cycling or swimming, and to mark time you are sitting, say in a car with the appropriate activity. That would remove the small inaccuracy from those extra steps or the larger one from exercise that it can't record well or at all.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I just don't get how fitbit could give accurate readings on calories burned. Does anyone use both? Do they match up?

Because you can sync a Fitbit with MFP, you can enter your exercise numbers from your HRM on this site. Then your input overrides the Fitibt info. I log all of my exercise here, esp cycling and circuit training and find that it ends up giving a pretty close "guesstimate" at the end of the day.

Also, remember a HRM is only good for cardio exercise, the fitbit is meant to measure all day activity. When you exercise, barring walking and running where the Wii type accerometers will measure not only steps but vigorousness of them, you can use a HRM and enter those calories to make things even more accurate. You can't compare the two as equals. They are for quite different things. The best, in my opinion, is a fitbit for daily activity and a HRM for exercise.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit! I can't imagine what I ever did without it!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Also, remember a HRM is only good for cardio exercise, the fitbit is meant to measure all day activity. When you exercise, barring walking and running where the Wii type accerometers will measure not only steps but vigorousness of them, you can use a HRM and enter those calories to make things even more accurate. You can't compare the two as equals. They are for quite different things. The best, in my opinion, is a fitbit for daily activity and a HRM for exercise.
    [/quote]

I agree with the above!! I wear my HRM while doing my intense workout instead of my fitbit!
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love mine...better yet. Last week while hiking I lost mine. I knew about where I lost it but couldn't locate. I sent an e mail to fitbit asking if there was any magic to finding a lost fitbit....they sent me a new one at no charge! Not saying this is their policy for all but I was impressed. Thank you fitbit team if your reading this!

This happened to me as well, and they also have a replacement one heading out to me as we speak! It is a great device and the customer service level is awesome!

I lost mine hiking today. Sent an email. Hoping for the best! I loved my fitbit!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I LOVE mine... and as a single mom... money is not one thing I have excess on...saying that... I would buy another one if something happened to mine tomorrow! Keeps me motivated to MOVE and sleep more!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Mine's not...initially I was well pleased but battery does not stay charged for longer than about a workout...I think sweat decreases the battery life...:(
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I've been tempted, but I'm now walking an average of an hour a day and using my Garmin 305 and its desktop software as a motivation tool so I don't care about counting footsteps. The fitbit could give me additional info on the rest of the day and just moving around, but I'm not sure its worth $100 to me.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love love love my fitbit! Worth every penny.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It's a great motivation tool but that can depend on what motivates you.

I can tell you that I climbed 100 floors yesterday for the first time and a few months ago, I wouldn't have even attempted it. I had already gotten a fair number of "floors" from my hike and that alone is a direct result of the mission to become active these last few months. For me to plan an active Mother's Day says a lot to begin with. Add the fact that I still had 31 floors left to complete a 100 step badge by the time I had come back from hiking and a day at a resort doing physical stuff and it motivated me to walk the stairs at a high rise apartment next door is all due to the fitbit corny motivational tactics. Actually, it motivated my husband to encourage me to reach for that badge since I was so close. It took me an additional 18 minutes to walk 31 floors. It was worth it! It is something I wouldn't have done without those challenges. After all, the hike and resort activities were plenty active on their own.

Another night I invited two friends at two different times for a walk just to finally hit the 20,000 steps in a day badge.

Another night my husband cracked me up because I was only aiming for the 25 floor badge that night but it started raining. No, it started POURING and I was disappointed. He said, "So what. Go do it!" I was a bit confused because I didn't see how he would expect me to accomplish the task. Then he pointed out that what umbrellas are for. True! Just for giggles and pride in accomplishment, I finished out those last 6 floors.

I definitely will pace my house if I am close to the next badge. I will even get out of bed if I forgot to look and notice it.

What's funny is I'm always last on my leaderboard!

But until a few months ago, I was anti-exercise. I will tell you that my mind being more open to it contributed more than the fitbit did but the fitbit gave me additional challenges to strive for now that I'm learning to embrace a more active lifestyle. It is fun and I love announcing my accomplishments. It reminds me that I truly am changing. That's powerful!

Fitbit keeps my data for me, unlike most pedometers, and I'm an information geek too. Plus, I can truly go back in time and see I'm clearly stepping up as time progresses. The hours in the day didn't change. I did. I am becoming more fit!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend which model of Fitbit & why? They have several to choose from on their website. Thank your for your answers.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend which model of Fitbit & why? They have several to choose from on their website. Thank your for your answers.

I think the only difference is color. Mine is the fitbit ultra, which is just a newer version of the original.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    I found it cheaper on amazon the website