Courtesy (rant)

Options

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Just made the Biff/Back To The Future connection. A little slow today.

For me it would depend on the type of day I had....I would probably speak up if I was not having a good day (which is usually not the time to do so as I may say something I'd regret), but usually I would let the person go with the thought that they must need something more to me and karma will catch up with them (and me, in a good way I'd hope).
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Whether "Biff" was "right" to cut into the line, or you were "wrong" to call him on it, is irrelevant. I've found that life's too short to get worked up about stuff like this. As you correctly pointed out, Biff isn't going to change. All you did today was raise your own blood pressure. And you still don't feel any better about the whole thing.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The clerk should have made him join the line imo and you never should have HAD to say anything. However, I probably would have called him out on it too when the clerk didn't do their job. :P

Having worked in retail, it's very difficult to be the person to say "You need to move to the back of the line". People can get very angry and in your face about things....it's really not my job to babysit and make sure people follow the "rules". Is it fair to the people who did and waited in line? Of course not, but what was the clerk supposed to do? Refuse to serve him until he got in line? That would have held everybody up even more.

I've worked in retail too. Often on register. It is the clerk's job to manage the line. I'd rather piss off one jerk who is NOT being courteous, than my entire line of customers who were there first and are being polite and following the rules.

It really is a clerk's job, as an employee of the store, to enforce store policy and provide good customer service. When I worked retail it WAS my job to assure people followed the "rules." Managing my line, coupon policy, making people pay for things and not steal, etc. However, that is just me. If you don't feel the need to step in, that is your choice. ::shrug::
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You can never know the kind of day another person is having. If you feel that you did the right thing, then good. But never assume that a person does something simply to be rude.

so true, he might have been just having a bad day and been totally oblivious, and than to embarrassed to say anything, but make a hasty retreat. I do think, although we will sometimes be wrong, it is healthy to sometimes assume the best in people no matter how improbable in a situation like this that nobody really was hurt, or in danger, just shortly inconvenienced. It was brought to my attention in a recent sermon that I am often guilty of judging others by their actions, while judging myself by my intentions and not my actions.

Well, if he was having a bad day and was oblivious, then the OP speaking to him might have made an impression. However, I don't buy that at all. Most people who do something like that are inconsiderate and feel more self important than anyone else, which is why they feel justified in cutting in line. Sorry, but we already live in a horribly self centered, self absorbed world, I am not going to encourage the behavior by ignoring poor manners.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    There are *kitten* all over doing stupid rude stuff like this all the time. Pointing it out won't do much good. They are still rude *kitten*. Don't let stuff like this get to you and piss you off so much. It's a small thing in the long run, and it was the clerk's place to say something, not you.

I don't think you saying anything was bad, just a waste of energy on your part.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    In situations like these I keep my mouth shut and smile. Life is to short to get so worked up. I see no point in causing a scene over something like this.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I probably would have reacted the same way you did, but I don't think it is the best way to behave.

Bad manners are not solved by bad manners.

The most polite thing to do would have been accept that people are jerks and go on about your day. :ohwell:
  • mkrainville7409
    mkrainville7409 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good Job!
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This happened to me waiting in line at the airport. There was a long line with people all going on the same plane. This woman pushed her bag under the divider and casually entered the line right in front of me (I was pretty far along, too). I asked her politely if she was joining her friends. She said no. I then pointed at the rest of the line and told her how I think it is rude to cut in front of all of them without a specific reason, and that we are all going on the same flight. She rolled her eyes and suddenly didn't "understand English".
  • mkrainville7409
    mkrainville7409 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I probably would have reacted the same way you did, but I don't think it is the best way to behave.

Bad manners are not solved by bad manners.

The most polite thing to do would have been accept that people are jerks and go on about your day. :ohwell:

It didnt sound unpolite... it would be different if she had cursed at him or somthing, she said "excuse me" and she also apologized to the people behind her... it wasnt polite of him to jump the line... that was rude...
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would of actually shoved him out of the way.
    I dont do well when people piss me off.
    But maybe thats my nature.. Some guy was attempting to overtake me a few days ago, so i sped up so he couldnt pull back in. I would of let him crash into the on coming vehicle if i wasnt having a good day.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    The clerk should have made him join the line imo and you never should have HAD to say anything. However, I probably would have called him out on it too when the clerk didn't do their job. :P

Having worked in retail, it's very difficult to be the person to say "You need to move to the back of the line". People can get very angry and in your face about things....it's really not my job to babysit and make sure people follow the "rules". Is it fair to the people who did and waited in line? Of course not, but what was the clerk supposed to do? Refuse to serve him until he got in line? That would have held everybody up even more.

I've worked in retail too. Often on register. It is the clerk's job to manage the line. I'd rather piss off one jerk who is NOT being courteous, than my entire line of customers who were there first and are being polite and following the rules.

It really is a clerk's job, as an employee of the store, to enforce store policy and provide good customer service. When I worked retail it WAS my job to assure people followed the "rules." Managing my line, coupon policy, making people pay for things and not steal, etc. However, that is just me. If you don't feel the need to step in, that is your choice. ::shrug::

Making sure people pay for things is different than "Line forms to the left" :laugh: Honestly, I think the clerk was stuck in a no-win situation and I can understand not feeling "brave" enough to tell the guy to step off. If you're extremely non-confrontational (which I am) those situations are your own personal hell. Could he have handled it differently? Sure, but I'm not going to condemn him as not doing his job, either.
  • starryskies89
    starryskies89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have worked in retail jobs for awhile now and I have observed how many people behave. I have had to correct people many times, and sometimes it is just not worth it. Keep in mind that the clerk is there much longer than you are and there is no telling what he has had to deal with for 8.00 an hour. Haha..

For instance this man tried to have me ring him out, at the time I was busy working at the service desk but there were 3 registers open with lines, I politely informed him that the lines were to the left, and I would have to take a customer there first, (since all the waiting customers were eyeing me with their impatience) he gave me a dirty look, then proceeded to find my manager and tell him that I was a 'rude bi**h' (his words not mine) LOL Yes if at all possible I try to honor the waiting customers, but you never know how crazy people are until you are in a Customer Service position and you 'Inconvenience' them..

For the OP..yes go for it, you weren't starting any problems, and If no one stands up for decency then what is going to happen to us all? Be careful though, people are mostly insane and on the edge, you don't want to end up hurt.. I'm not kidding. :P
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would have done the same thing. Rude people need to know someone's going to call them out for their behavior.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is probably my #1 pet peeve.
    I make a big stink quite often when people do this to me.
    One time waiting to get my boyfriends license - the only day he could do it was a Saturday and since the location we were going to is one of the ONLY ones open on a Saturday it gets jaw dropping ridiculous, line ups around the whole building by the time it opens. We went at 6am so we could be there when it opened at 8:30 and we were second in line and the amount of people who just tried to stroll up and get in front of everyone - it was disgusting and I was fuming.
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can never know the kind of day another person is having. If you feel that you did the right thing, then good. But never assume that a person does something simply to be rude.

so true, he might have been just having a bad day and been totally oblivious, and than to embarrassed to say anything, but make a hasty retreat. I do think, although we will sometimes be wrong, it is healthy to sometimes assume the best in people no matter how improbable in a situation like this that nobody really was hurt, or in danger, just shortly inconvenienced. It was brought to my attention in a recent sermon that I am often guilty of judging others by their actions, while judging myself by my intentions and not my actions.

Well, if he was having a bad day and was oblivious, then the OP speaking to him might have made an impression. However, I don't buy that at all. Most people who do something like that are inconsiderate and feel more self important than anyone else, which is why they feel justified in cutting in line. Sorry, but we already live in a horribly self centered, self absorbed world, I am not going to encourage the behavior by ignoring poor manners.

I would have probably reacted similar, but since this was a discussion, just was trying to look at both sides, and realizing, I'm not perfect, sometimes give the benefit of the doubt, because I don't know what was going through the guys head. Since you however are never rude and can accurately judge everybody's intentions, I guess it would be right for you to say something every time. If not, he may miss his chance to meet a flawless person.
  • nannanorem
    nannanorem Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would have done the same thing but probably not in as nice of a way that you did! I would have returned his wave in similar! :devil:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I would have probably reacted similar, but since this was a discussion, just was trying to look at both sides, and realizing, I'm not perfect, sometimes give the benefit of the doubt, because I don't know what was going through the guys head. Since you however are never rude and can accurately judge everybody's intentions, I guess it would be right for you to say something every time. If not, he may miss his chance to meet a flawless person.

Yup, I saw where I said I was never rude. I can see how you got that from my post. Okay then.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, all. A lot of good thoughts coming from a variety of views.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Ha! That's the kind of thing I do all the time - well, when I'm feeling particularly stabby, at least. Good for you. Meh, so what if you held up the line for 15 seconds? I'm sure the rest of them were silently cheering you on.

THIS!