Upper flappy granny arms :(

Options
I have a problem... I lost like 25 pounds over 1½ year or so - nothing fast at all. But my arms are so flappy, I'm afraid to wear tops or anything without long sleeves. It's like the one thing that is the same size as before the weightloss. I don't know what to do. I have some 5 pound weights, but I don't know what to do with them. I just lift, swing - whatever, nothing special really, but I feel like they just get defined, not losing the fat that's hanging at the bottom, lol.

Do any of you know what to do? That acutally works?

Replies

• phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Push ups!!!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    believe it or not that SHAKE WEIGHT works wonders...it's about $20 and used a few days a week for about 5-7 minutes PLUS i also use machines at the gym you will see a difference in a few weeks:)
  • palmerp1234
    Options
    Pushups for sure!
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    But do they work the..... flappy side, you know the bottom side?
  • kbtooke
    kbtooke Posts: 21
    Options
    would like to know the answer as well.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i have this same issue. i'm doing strength training on my arms using my own body weight to start

modified push ups & planks

then there's one where you use the weights to lift from behind with your elbow straight in the air.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Push ups and variety of tricep exercises (try tricep dips).
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Push-ups.

Tricep extensions.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Build your triceps! Lift heavy! Chair dips! Fill out that loose space with sleek, lovely muscle!

Also, you may need to lose some fat in there... determine your body fat % and start a fat-loss regimin.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Pushups. Also these:

http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/triceps/index.html

Boxing does wonders for all parts of the arm.

Also, you can tone as much as you want but if you have an abundance of fat on your upper arms, you'll always have SOME flab. Fat loss does come into play here as well as toning exercises.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    lets see if i can describe this correctly.

using resistance bands or 5lb weights. stand with your knees slightly bent. Extend on arm straight up, reach the opposite arm behind your head and grasp the tricep with that hand. bend the weighted arm behind your head for 8 reps, repeat with the other side.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Google "Tricep Exercises" & i think you will find what you are looking for. That is one part that I never thought would firm up, but it did.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts...bench and overhead press...just what the doctor ordered. :wink:
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have a problem... I lost like 25 pounds over 1½ year or so - nothing fast at all. But my arms are so flappy, I'm afraid to wear tops or anything without long sleeves. It's like the one thing that is the same size as before the weightloss. I don't know what to do. I have some 5 pound weights, but I don't know what to do with them. I just lift, swing - whatever, nothing special really, but I feel like they just get defined, not losing the fat that's hanging at the bottom, lol.

Do any of you know what to do? That acutally works?

I do plymetrics for my students. That will help. Eating right and regular exercise will definitely help in that area.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    To reduce fat, all you need is a calorie deficit, you can't spot reduce where fat comes off.

It terms of toning up (building or maintaining the muscle there) a decent strength training routine should help :smile:
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    But do they work the..... flappy side, you know the bottom side?

that 'flappy' side are your triceps....I do notice pushups help, but also if you look up youtube videos for 'tricep workouts' you will probably find helpful dumb bell workouts for your arms. Basically, the movement of pushing your forearm in a downward motion is what works the triceps...but look it up so you do it correctly.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Push-ups and dips - The more the merrier!
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    But the thing is, I'm just not losing on my arms. It seems it's the only place that's the same, even now where I keep losing weight.
  • ToriaMarie9
    Options
    Couple of exercises...Stand with weights in hands with elbows locked to your sides lift up in bicept curl and then send weights to back without moving elbows from your side. Also with weights in hands raise your arms so your elbows are pointed straight up to ceiling and you hands with weights on shoulders...lift hands straight up into the air... you should feel it in the flabby wing area...takes quite a while to firm that area but keep at it.