Help. Help. Help.

Options
Current weight, 166lbs. Want to lose 36 more lbs. 5'7'', female. SAHM of two, and babysit 2 other kids during the week.

About half way done with JM 30 DS, and I walk every day as well for about 20-30 minutes. Have lost 4 lbs, no inches.

I watch what I eat, cut out soda, drink about 90-120oz of water per day, and eat about 1200 calories per day, somtimes only 1000-1100.

What do I do now? I know the scale says I lost 4lbs but I am not feeling or seeing the results I would like. Am I just being too impatient? Should I workout more? Eat more/less?

I wouldn't mind working out more, what would you suggest?? The 30DS has been working great with my schedule, and was only $10 at Walmart so I would prefer something inexpensive that I can do at home, before the kids wake up, or while napping.....HOWEVER, I am DESPERATE to lose this weight/inches and will do whatever it takes. So whatever you feel I need to do, I will try. PLEASE help.

Replies

• KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    By any chance have you calculated your BMI? (Try www.freedieting.com for the calculator) 1000-1100 calories a day doesn't seem like your eating enough. From my understanding you should never eat below your BMI or your body will start to go into starvation mode. I would calculate you BMI and try eating just above that and see if it helps.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree. Also, at 166 you are close to a healthy weight, and you should have your goals set to "Lose 1/2 pound per week" PLUS eat all your exercise calories. You are too close to try to shave calories off. Try something more like 1700 plus exercise cals.
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    By any chance have you calculated your BMI? (Try www.freedieting.com for the calculator) 1000-1100 calories a day doesn't seem like your eating enough. From my understanding you should never eat below your BMI or your body will start to go into starvation mode. I would calculate you BMI and try eating just above that and see if it helps.

So this website said that I need 2517 to maintain, 2014 for fat loss, and 1510 for extreme fat loss...so I need to eat more? I can do that =) But like most people, I'm sure, this kinda scares me...just doesn't make sense ya know?
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    1000-1100 is WAY too low.

Figure out your BMR and eat at least that.

Especially since you exercise everyday.

I know everyone's different with what works but I've found I'm really comfortable at 1400 if that helps any.
  • buckeyegirl6973
    buckeyegirl6973 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i was where you were. I'm down 33 pds. i enjoy running if not just jogging and doing intervals of this. i also started strength training with videos using dumbells and using my own weight for resistance..and the inches started coming off..i can actually see my body shaping and muscles starting to show.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I started to eat more and have seen a loss. It really does work. I highly recommend eating more.
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    Just make sure you are adding healthy calories like fruits and vegetables. Remember a calorie is not a calorie, it depends on carbs, protein, and fiber. Almonds are a good choice for added calories.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know that thought of eating more is just absured. I mean isnt that how we got to be overwieght in the first place??? WRONG, eating more of the good things is much better that eating less of the bad things. Def increase you calories especially if you are going to work out more.

I am struggling with this as well. Have you tried any other exercise othe than JM. I did hers for a while too but then swithced it. Muscle memory is also something to be on the look out for too
  • dianacrum
    dianacrum Posts: 67
    Options

So this website said that I need 2517 to maintain, 2014 for fat loss, and 1510 for extreme fat loss...so I need to eat more? I can do that =) But like most people, I'm sure, this kinda scares me...just doesn't make sense ya know?

The idea of eating more is scary!! It took me awhile to actually do it!! HOWEVER it was the BEST thing I have ever done...I was stuck in a plateau for almost 2 months, so I upped my calories and in 2 weeks I lost 4lbs! :)
  • ambloomy
    ambloomy Posts: 1
    Options
    I was having the same issue and yes you need to eat more just me smart about what you are eatting more of. Also try running instead of just walking. Running with a stroller is a great way to loose some weight and those inches. I did not like the 30 DS just for personal reasons I really stick to Tae Bo and running.
  • cait0902
    Options
    i was where you were. I'm down 33 pds. i enjoy running if not just jogging and doing intervals of this. i also started strength training with videos using dumbells and using my own weight for resistance..and the inches started coming off..i can actually see my body shaping and muscles starting to show.

What videos do you use??
  • cmriverside
    Options

Yes. You need a lot more than 1200. Try 1700-1800. Seriously. It works. Don't make this harder on yourself than you need to. You're going to feel so much better; and give it a month. Don't freak when you gain a pound in the beginning - you've been undereating. Stick with any changes for a month to get a full picture of what's going on.

Keep your protein high - make sure you hit those protein goals - that's the most important. The protein here is a Minimum, not a Maximum. So get at Mimimum the protein this site recommends.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more. And just for clarification, it's BMR. But regardless, yes, eat more. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 10 - 20% for your calorie target. Aim for macros around 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs. It's always nice to get to eat more :).
  • mereid36
    mereid36 Posts: 3
    Options
    Definitely eat more and make sure you are getting something to eat every 3 hours or so. Small frequent meals have always worked for me. Also make sure you are not eating too low fat - get your good fats in (olive oil, fish like salmon, nuts, flax seed, chia seed etc.) you cant lose fat if you arent taking in any just make sure its high quality unsaturated fat! Doing some light weight lifting might help too, if you belong to a gym have one of the staff members set you up for your first time so that they make sure you are using the right form that way you wont get hurt!! Hope this helps!! Smalls changes done repeatedly over time can make big differences, be patient with yourself and make sure you are getting plenty of sleep!!! For video at home works I highly suggest the insanity workout series. You dont need much room or ANY equipment just your own body weight. Its definitely hard, I couldnt do the whole video that first time i tried it but now i can do that whole thing and same results within weeks. Its a little expensive but if you stick with it and do it every day it is worth every penny!!
  • sommerskins
    sommerskins Posts: 57
    Options
    I was doing at 1200 calorie diet and sometimes not eating enough and I found I either stayed the same or would gain... I added more calories to my diet and eat my excercise calories now and once I did that I started losing again. I read that if you don't eat at LEAST the 1200 your body thinks it is starving and will store the food and you will not lose. It is hard to get out of the mindset eat less and you lose, but the more you eat (healthy foods) and work out you will lose.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE! My starting weight was 158 (so not too far off from you) and I have never had my calories set less than 1300 net calories. When I started I was at 1420 calories and I'm currently at 1530 calories. I started out set at 1 pound per week and am now at 1/2 pound per week. I have lost 28 pounds. I also generally had one day a week that I was over my calories and still lost. I generally work out 5-6 days a week. Hope this helps. A 4 pound loss is great and I'm sure there will be more to come!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options

go check out this group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest you eat more. I'm 5'8.75", 160lbs, and I eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight.
  • cait0902
    Options
    Yes, eat more. And just for clarification, it's BMR. But regardless, yes, eat more. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 10 - 20% for your calorie target. Aim for macros around 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs. It's always nice to get to eat more :).

Forgot to mention, I'm pretty new to this serious dieting and exercising stuff, and to MFP....TDEE? How do I figure that out?
  • cmriverside
    Options

Forgot to mention, I'm pretty new to this serious dieting and exercising stuff, and to MFP....TDEE? How do I figure that out?

You can google TDEE calculators. It's the number of cals you need to maintain your weight at your current energy usage. It's somewhere close to that 2500 cals you found on the other site.

This site, Myfitnesspal, would tell you if you set your Goal to "Maintain".