2»

Replies

• rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    C25K is the shiznit! Do it without delay!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • coletteann123
    Options
    i run every day if i can and i did a 5k last year. you will probobally suprise yourself when you start it up! Definatley get the top/bra sorted though, i wear a very tight Nike top with a built in support and that sorts me out!!!

I recently helped my mum start running she thought she never would (she is 49) and that she wasnt built for running. The thing that struck her when we started was the speed... we went very slowly and had a place in sight to get too. the key was to go steady get to that point then walk untill you feel recovered, Then do the same again. We had a route we did and the goal was to eventually run the whole thing. So to begin with it was very broke up with bursts of steady jogging. To be honest it really didnt take her long she did incredible. The main thing she found is pace!! keep it steady, when you tire slow right down but try and keep going, when you dont think you can do any more.. do 5 more strides then stop.
    Never push yourself so hard you hysically hurt!! chest tight and throat hurts from breathing, you want it to be enjoyable or each time you think about going you will have a nasty memory!! so think try and end on a good note where you feel good!!!

Stick with it!! it might not be the most enjoyable thing but its good for results!! :-)
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For the sports bra- I wear two because I can't afford a really nice one right now. Couch to 5k would probably be the best way to get started on becoming comfortable running. Also someone else on this forum mentioned the app "Run, Zombies" and I used it yesterday on my run and thought it was great.

I've seen that app too, I am considering getting it. Do you have to run really far, should I wait a bit?

You don't have to run far. I ran half a mile and walked the rest of the mile yesterday. You can pick the speed of the zombies so I went with the slower ones since I am not a fast runner at all.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    A fast walk can help you too. If you can work up to a 3.5-4mph walking pace you would be able to run.

NORDIC WALKING! I can't seem to find anything about this. Perhaps the craze has not hit the US yet but, Nordic Walking is GREAT exercise, especially if one has neck, joint or spinal issues. It burns twice the cals as normal walking and feels great.
    Here is just one of a zillion sites about it:
    http://nordicwalking.co.uk/?page=see_effect&c=32
    Wish MFP would put it into the database.
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Former track and field sprinter turned distance pleasure runner here. On average, I run about 20 miles a week which includes 3 -weekly 5K runs. If you're starting off, the couch2-5K would be a good idea. I would also suggest the beginner runners 5K run training posted on about-dot-com which provides a training routine that helps you build from a 1 mile run up to an actual 5K race. The routine is 8 weeks and includes some circuit training days to give you a balance for days when you're not running. Good luck.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far !

I love walking and I think its a fantastic (the best ?) way to get into fitness. My approach to running is sort of like C25k, only backwards. I walk when I can, and only run when I "have to". IOW, don't think of walking as "taking a break" or something you fall back on when you're "not up to" running. Walking is wonderful, and something that (IMO) is always enjoyable. And how many people do you hear complaining about "walking injuries" ?

Every time you walk, pay attention to your form. Is your core engaged ? Can you feel the motion of your arms actually contributing to your forward motion ? Is your back upright or hunched, etc. I continue to learn a lot about fitness from my walks. And it really carries over.

As you stick with it, you will naturally find yourself going faster. And faster. At some point it gets to be difficult to move your legs fast enough to keep your heart rate up where you want it; walking becomes "too easy". Keep learning about proper form (search youtube for racewalking).

Eventually, though, it starts to feel like it would be easier to just run. (In real racewalking events, running is regarded as cheating, and they have judges watching out for even a single running step !) So you can mix in enough running to get your heart rate up, let your walking muscles relax a bit, and when you've had enough, go back to a walk. I take a few steps of "whew ! I'm not running any more" before I switch into "okay, now I'm gonna walk fast with good form." Walking is not a break, its a different mode of exercise.

Anyway, I don't think what I'm doing is *that* different from a C25k approach, but the attitude is different.

Oh, and another tip : Search your local area for running clubs. Where I live, there are quite a few "social" running clubs that meet at a pub or pizzeria for an informal 5k. After 10 or so runs you get a free t-shirt. Having a fixed date makes it that much easier to stick with it. I've been doing this for 9-ish months, and I usually only miss it for sucky weather or (argh !) running injuries. These informal runs are great for walkers, I did maybe 20 of them before I ran one the whole way.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I can't really help you on the sports bra issue, but with the running, I can tell you what works for me. Last fall, I finally got my sleep apnea & my plantar faciitis under control & I started running this year. I didn't use any apps, I just started out using intervals. Make sure you get warmed up good, then jog for as long as you can, then walk for 3 minutes & repeat.

Don't worry about speed or distance, you just need to get started. After you're done, be sure & stretch really well. Some of the things I've picked up from these boards are:

Slow it down - I was having trouble running at 6.5 mph for 15 minutes, but when I slowed to 6.2 mph, I was able to run for 25-35 minutes every time. You'll have to find the pace that works best for you. The speed will come with distance.

Form - when you run, don't land with your heel. That's the quickest way for knee & shin pain. Use a mid-foot strike. The easiest way for me to accomplish this was to lean forward slightly while running. It took a while for it to become natural, but now it's not something I have to focus on.

I've only been running for about 5 months, but I'm running my very first race in early June (10K). When my wife first got me to sign up, my goal was to complete the race in less than an hour, but I've ran 10K in less than 55 minutes, so now I'm aiming for a 45 minute finish.

If you have a smartphone, I recommend getting the mapmyrun app. It'll tell you how far & how fast you're running in intervals that you can change. I have mine set at 11 minutes so I know if I need to pick it up or not. You can listen to music & it'll pause the music when it tells you an update.

This is just my 2 cents worth, but also check the boards for running topics. There are a lot of helpful people who often have good information about running. You'll just need to decide what will work for you. Good Luck!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    C25k podcasts! They are fantastic - I'm just starting week three, and I'm loving it! Perfect for someone like you or me who is a beginner. Also they're free :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have the Zombies App but haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting to finish my C25K app and then I'll use the Zombies App for a while and see how I like it!

I also use RunKeeper to track my runs and walks, when I do them outside.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    C25K is the way to go.

Bra's- I get mine at Kmart. Hanes something, lol. I buy one sup size smaller which helps to squish the girls and hold em tight. The stretchy kind just don't do the job. Wide band gives more support. Full coverage.
    I also got a nice bra at TJ Maxx. Not sure of the brand. I like my sports bras 'tight' as they tend to loosen up quickly and become worthless.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Oh also on the bras, I had read about a champion one on here that has the hooks like a bra in the back. I found it at target and it's a godsend! It's so nice not to have to hold my boobs while I run :blushing:
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Shock Absorber bras - they have a Run bra that hooks across the back and again across the shoulder blades - I bought three because they're so great!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Though the OP didn't specificlaly mention it....

A HUGE rookie running mistake is to not have proper shoes. Nothing will injure you faster than improper or poor shoes.

Shoes become less important as you become better at running. Good running shoes can be basically seen as safety gear for running noobs. Without good running shoes (don't have to be expensive, but they have to be right for you), injury is just a matter of when, not if.