If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Would you say support from other people on MFP is a big help? I saw it mentioned somewhere, but Id rather keep it private from the people I know from day to day life!! And be able to talk to people that know the situation :)

Like you, I didn't want all the people in my life to know what was going on with my weight loss, but the anonymity of MFP makes it a lot easier. I love having the friends I do on here, and only selected other people in my life know what goes on.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    DO NOT Starve yourself then kill yourself with exorcise. Eating 1000 Calories and Burning 1000calories in a day is a recipe for disaster. Believe it or not, eating will help you lose weight if you do it right.

^^^ THIS!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    No person on MFP is going to be able to tell you exactly what is the best way for YOU to lose weight. There's a lot of good information, and a lot of self-righteousness. The former can be helpful, the latter never is.

Take what YOU can use, and leave the rest. And don't ever, ever, ever give up on learning about your own body.

This.

Figure out what works for you and learn more and more. Be selective about all of the advice floating around. Except for the success stories, take it all in, in the future it will be you! And me :wink:

^ both of these people are trying to trick you already. this is advice. dont fall for it!!!

Look out! That's advice too!

LOL...
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

This. Also, opt to lose 1 pound per week, not more.
    I've seen this said before. Can anybody tell me my people recommend this? At that rate, it would take me around 21 months.

Because hopefully it's a long-term life style change vs. a quick diet is my best guess, it's easier and more manageable. 1 lb of real weight a week is a lot and people don't realize it.
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I like the phrase "This is a marathon, not a sprint". But, I don't know - that might be an intimidating phrase. :O) Anyway, just know that this is a life-long process and not some "do it now, do it right, or be forever fat" kind of scenario.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the friendships you will be making. What a great group of people are on this site. They are both helpful and supportive. I love my friends
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'd tell them: Don't be the one to post "Hi, I'm new here, looking for support!" That initial motivation comes from within. As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't look for a single MFP buddy until AFTER you've lost the first 10 lbs. Because if you can't do it on your own, no amount of support is gonna get you there.

I waited until I dropped 12 pounds. THEN I posted and said I was looking for MFP buddies who were COMMITTED to weight loss and had the RESULTS to prove it. Every "friend" of mine has dropped anywhere from 10 to 50 lbs. When I get a friend request from someone who's lost, say, 2 lbs, I ignore it. Anyone can lose 2 lbs. Drink water and take a good poop and you've lost two lbs. That's not commitment, that's an accident. But when a person has lost at least 10 lbs, that shows a consistent commitment.

So, I'd tell a newbie: Be a newbie BY YOURSELF for the first 10 lbs. Report to nobody but yourself (or your closest loved ones, people you live with). Because if you surround yourself from the beginning with people who, like you, haven't accomplished anything yet, then you'll all likely let one another quit. And, if you surround yourself with people who have already committed to fitness, yes, they may have some support to offer you...but what do YOU have to offer them?

Motivation is a two-way street. Don't expect it if you can't give it. And "motivation" from someone who hasn't lost any weight is empty...just words.

I'm rambling, I know, but this subject drives me nuts. Do it FOR YOURSELF, BY YOURSELF at first. THEN, when you have EARNED the right to join the community of dedicated people who have results to prove it, you can, knowing that you have as much to offer as anyone else.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    QUIT freaking out if you're a little over.. it's actually a good thing here and there.

DRINK your water. (PLAIN)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I would say -

Take pics and measurements
    Use the search feature before you post a new topic asking a question - chances are it's been asked today, and yesterday, and the day before...
    Get a HRM as soon as you can
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Pick your MFPals wisely, and...

WhatSuccessReallyLooksLike.jpg
    md3
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Exercise...... not too much
    Eat at a deficit..... not too low
    Enjoy yourself.... a little bit

Well said! Thanks!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

This. Also, opt to lose 1 pound per week, not more.
    I've seen this said before. Can anybody tell me my people recommend this? At that rate, it would take me around 21 months.

Because hopefully it's a long-term life style change vs. a quick diet is my best guess, it's easier and more manageable. 1 lb of real weight a week is a lot and people don't realize it.

And even being a perfect MFPer, you can't predict how fast you will lose. The "1lb a week" range does not mean that you're guaranteed to lose that much every week, or you might lose more. Setting a timeline for weightloss isn't helpful!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Measure!

exactly!! measure measure measure..........so when the scale doesn't move and you get discouraged you can remeasure and be amazed~!
  • kahlee2000
    kahlee2000 Posts: 77
    Options
    Live for today -- and focus on what you can do towards your goals today only. Don't get hung up on yesterday -- and don't get frustrated looking at tomorrow.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There's no ONE thing..its a silly request.

1: Calculate your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) and try to NEVER let your NET calories consumed go below your BMR.

2: Measure and don't place too much emphasis on the scales.

3: Focus on consistency in all that you do related to weight loss and fitness.
  • candiceforchrist
    candiceforchrist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    throw the scale away
  • lisa_bunny
    lisa_bunny Posts: 14
    Options
    Take your measurements! I really regret not doing that- pounds are great but inches are confidence! Xx
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat yourself! If you never lost weight doing this activity before, don't log it. With hard work, comes results!
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Pick your MFPals wisely, and...

WhatSuccessReallyLooksLike.jpg
    ^Truth^

Take pictures early on. I hated what I looked like at my heaviest (my pic, on the left, is after 10lbs were already shred) and avoided cameras like the plague. But now, I wish I had something to look back on and see how far I've come - this goes for measurements, too.

And don't get discouraged. I have friends on here that have lost twice what I have in half the time, but I know (for me) that my weight will stay off. I haven't gained in over a year and I will take that any day.