If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• NittanyLion95
    Options
    I regret not having done measurements at the start.....I'd love to know how many inches I have lost.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Before you cut calories just log in what you normally eat for two full weeks, everything that goes in your mouth. This gives you a starting point. I learned the hard way that I did not have to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight, I could have cut down to 1700-1800 and lost just as easy and not harmed my metabolism.
  • tomakehermine
    Options
    i would say stay away from the message boards! there are some really rude people out there - i wasn't prepared for it. i figured every one would be positive and upbeat bc we all are on the same path - in one way or another - but sadly that's not the case.
  • EarthyChocl8AKA
    Options

This. Also, opt to lose 1 pound per week, not more.
    [/quote]

I've seen this said before. Can anybody tell me my people recommend this? At that rate, it would take me around 21 months.
    [/quote]
    The 1-2 lb a week is for someone who is at or near normal body weight/range. If you are in the obese to morbidly obese you will lose much more than that which is why a person who is 500 lbs can lose 100 lbs in a month if they eat right and exercise. @250 you can lose about 3-5 lbs most weeks starting off. But do what's best and healthy for you!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon....not a sprint
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i would say stay away from the message boards! there are some really rude people out there - i wasn't prepared for it. i figured every one would be positive and upbeat bc we all are on the same path - in one way or another - but sadly that's not the case.

This is not true, most people are very supportive and willing to offer great advice. Your bad experience obviously did not deter you too much or you would not be on this message board..
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I have not seen this.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. The scale is a trend tool good for when you have a lot to lose. Then it's best to use the mirror and even better pictures show subtle muscle changes in your body. I regret not having much of my data from my bigger days but also it's no big deal, focused on the new me now. The scale is good when you have to lose but don't get too hung up on it as the body fluctuates a great deal, water, hormones, food digestion, even minor food allergies that cause inflammation, as well as DOMS, it is a TREND tool only.

I don't eat back exercise calories for the most part. It may work for some people but not me. Everyone is different and you have to find the right BMR calories for YOU, every program that estimates is, well, an ESTIMATE.
  • missdebbieg
    Options
    Newbie here...Thank you
  • 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have patience and persistance! The weight didn't come on in one day or one week....it won't come off in one day. Give it time and dedication. Exercise and eat right....those are the keys to success!
  • Lianatalelter
    Options
    I'd tell them: Don't be the one to post "Hi, I'm new here, looking for support!" That initial motivation comes from within. As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't look for a single MFP buddy until AFTER you've lost the first 10 lbs. Because if you can't do it on your own, no amount of support is gonna get you there.

I waited until I dropped 12 pounds. THEN I posted and said I was looking for MFP buddies who were COMMITTED to weight loss and had the RESULTS to prove it. Every "friend" of mine has dropped anywhere from 10 to 50 lbs. When I get a friend request from someone who's lost, say, 2 lbs, I ignore it. Anyone can lose 2 lbs. Drink water and take a good poop and you've lost two lbs. That's not commitment, that's an accident. But when a person has lost at least 10 lbs, that shows a consistent commitment.

So, I'd tell a newbie: Be a newbie BY YOURSELF for the first 10 lbs. Report to nobody but yourself (or your closest loved ones, people you live with). Because if you surround yourself from the beginning with people who, like you, haven't accomplished anything yet, then you'll all likely let one another quit. And, if you surround yourself with people who have already committed to fitness, yes, they may have some support to offer you...but what do YOU have to offer them?

Motivation is a two-way street. Don't expect it if you can't give it. And "motivation" from someone who hasn't lost any weight is empty...just words.

I'm rambling, I know, but this subject drives me nuts. Do it FOR YOURSELF, BY YOURSELF at first. THEN, when you have EARNED the right to join the community of dedicated people who have results to prove it, you can, knowing that you have as much to offer as anyone else.

Not sure if this was related to my earlier post on support, but if it was Id like to point out that I've lost 4.4 kg (which is approx 10 pounds) and lost it on my own BEFORE posting that :p
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'd say STAY OFF THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of these already on here...
    EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES
    THE SCALE ISN'T A GOOD WAY TO DETERMINE YOUR SUCCESS
    TAKE MEASUREMENTS AND PICS
    PATIENCE

AND FOR ME MOST IMPORTANTLY...DO THIS FOR A LIFESTYLE CHANGE (NOT JUST A DIET)
    THERE IS A DANGER FOR QUITTING ONCE YOU MEET YOUR GOAL AND THEN ENDING UP RIGHT BACK WHERE YOU WERE!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    All the above and "It's just your period. Chill the eff out."
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Don't post on the messages boards if you have thin skin.

Be positive and dont always post statuses whining and complaining even though people won't say anything no one wants to be pals with a negative Nancy or Ned.

Exercise for real , even though light house cleaning is on the database it was a chore before u joined mfp and it still is .

Don't get all bent out of shape if someone says something you don't like (ex. Housecleaning isn't a real exercise.).
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    ....I'd tell them to take lots of before pictures when starting their new life style. I have a couple, but really regret not having standard one (same clothes, pose, etc.) to see if I can tell the 'then vs. now" differences.

yeah i really wish i had done that too. along with all the measurements and BF% etc...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    never go to the forums for advice unless they have clinical studies they can refer to or a rhinoceros hyde type of indifference to rudeness
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    to the newbie:

"lose" if what happens to your weight if you stick to your plan

"loose" is how your clothes fit, after you do so....

Don't confuse the two!! LOL

You are my new hero!!
  • natasha4822
    natasha4822 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stay determined and do not wait on others to achieve your goals.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's not enough to take it off, you have to keep it off. Don't rush this. Take your time, eat your exercise calories, and start developing eating habits that you intend to keep for life. Someday you'll go from deficit to maintenance, but this "diet" will never end, take it for the lifelong project it is and you'll really enjoy the new you.