If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• marckrebs44
    marckrebs44 Posts: 26
    Options
    Be patient... remember that this will be an endurance race, not a sprint... you didn't put the weight on overnight, you're not going to take the weight off overnight... you're going to enjoy the journey, because you're going to LOVE the RESULTS!!!
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    id tell them that people on here GENERALLY aren't doctors or nutritionists.

what they tell you isn't gospel and although there are many success stories and many intelligent people on here.
    you need to take what they tell you with a pinch of salt!

we all have different views and goals and ideologies!!

you need to do your own research into what you are doing. im sure many people will disagree with the way im choosing to loose weight but its working, its something i can keep up for the rest of my life and i know im being sensible.

what works for joe blogs may not work for you!

also people on here can be really mean, rude and disgusting!! don't let them put you off!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Don't starve yourself. Don't restrict types of food. Ignore the scale and buy a measuring tape. Love your body.
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would tell a newbie to :

1) track everything - yes, ketchup with your grilled cheese, that glass of wine with supper, racking the yard - everything counts positively and negatively!

2) don't assume that the foods input here are 100% accurate - some items have drastically different calorie and nutritional information...be honest with what seems best for you.

3) don't give up if you slip up! Life happens, don't use eating a piece of cake at work as an excuse to 'give up' and have Big Mac for supper.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    to the newbie:

"lose" if what happens to your weight if you stick to your plan

"loose" is how your clothes fit, after you do so....

Don't confuse the two!! LOL

Love this! I'm really new to MFP, so I'm reading, learning and keeping my mouth shut for the most part, but I am a real grammar snob. I have to bite my tongue and sit on my fingers so I don't type scathing corrections when I see glaring errors in posts.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you're not good with sarcasm, stay away from the message boards. Or teach yourself how to use it or at least how to understand it.

Lifting is awesome. Do it. Like, now.

"I don't like the taste of water..." is not an acceptable reason for not drinking water. No, there is not a water that tastes like pepsi but is still just water, get over it.

After the first few weeks of exercising, it's not as hard to make yourself get out there and be active. Or at least this was my experience. You may even learn to love it.

Take pictures, as said before. Yeah, you might think you look gross now, but just image how you feel when you have a picture in the same outfit, but 10, 20, 30 or more pounds lighter. I would say to just wear your regular clothes if you're not comfortable wearing your underwear for the pictures.

And, learn to love yourself. It's going to be an uphill battle, but it's worth it. You'll start noticing that you can do things that you never could before, even if you haven't lost that much weight. Just keep trying and keep looking forward to your goals.

This. Well said.
  • mystikalforce
    Options
    Watch your portion sizes. I did a mock day of how I usually ate without regard to my body and I was shocked at how much I was eating. Once I started watching my portion sizes, and eating more often the right kinds of food the weight started coming off me. Also EAT! Do not just exercise and not eat. This will slow your metabolism down and you will not loose the weight you are looking to loose. And measurements and photos are a better way to track your progress than the scale is.
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I (respectfully) disagree with the part about not adding friends who haven't lost 10 or more pounds; My goals weren't really about weight... It was about cathching my weight gain before it got out of hand and getting my abs back... I missed them.

I'm almost at my ab goal, but will probably NEVER drop 15 pounds, I just don't have that much to lose. (Please don't discredit somebody else's achievements based on your yardstick of success).

I knew I should have connected the dots on the philosophy. Remember, I said goal-oriented people with the RESULTS to prove it. Typically, most people on MFP use weight loss as their yardstick, so I used that as a main example. However, I also have MFP friends who are incredibly fit that have only lost 2 lbs, and yes, their goals are simply to tighten their 8-pack or build their arms. In that case, the "yardstick" I use for them is, are they achieving what they wanted, do they have the pics to prove it, does their exercise and nutrition log reflect active commitment to their goals?

So, to connect the dots for those who couldn't do it on their own, what you're looking for from YOURSELF and from OTHERS is: goal-oriented, with results to prove it. Whether that's losing a hundred pounds or tightening your stomach--whether it's one yardstick or another--the PRINCIPLE is the same: have a long-term goal and actively move towards it, and expect nothing less from those you surround yourself with.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Weight training changed my life for weight loss/fitness. I no longer log hours and hours and hours on cardio. A quick weight circuit and a walk every day (total of about 5 hours a week) and I've been steadily losing weight and OMG, the visible changes in my body (seriously) are pure motivation ... Be willing to give it a try for at least a month.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil, fat is not evil and protein is not god-like. They don't make us fat, our choice to eat too much is what makes us fat.

Edit to add: no quick adds in the food diary! Stay honest!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    bump for later.. as im a newbie of only a week and a half :D
  • lmj0707
    lmj0707 Posts: 13
    Options
    don't give up when the scale doesn't budge. Just keep on trecking. Math proves the scale wrong b/c you know you're eating less than you burn each day so eventualy the water weight/giamt poop will leave your body and the scale at that point will make you glad you kept trecking!! Honestly, I've had 1-2 weeks where the scale didn't budge or gained then I got on it one day and 3 lbs gone in a day... maybe I need a better scale!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Absolutely loving this thread - bumping to keep it...

Taking *many* peoples' advice and snapping some "before" pics tonight :)
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. You must make life style changes. This is not a quick fix. And you must change your routines periodically.
  • lmj0707
    lmj0707 Posts: 13
    Options
    Make a goal week by week to know how long it will take you to lose the weight you expect. For example, if your weigh in day is Monday then write what you want your goal weight to be each Mon on a callendar all the way till you reach your final goal. Knowing how long this process is going to take you will help you not get frustrated when at month 4 you're totaly sick of this calorie counting... b/c you know it's going to take you 10months and you're geared up for the marathon not a sprint!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Don't eat below your BMR. Don't know what a BMR is then find out. Then find out what your's is and stay above it with your calories. I also like the post about customizing the site for you and not accepting MFP settings without finding out about your stats (BMR, TDEE, Bodyfat % etc.) Eat between your BMR and TDEE to lose.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Taking *many* peoples' advice and snapping some "before" pics tonight :)

Smart move! Trust me, you'll be VERY glad that you did! And welcome :flowerforyou:
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Eat. Seriously. I crash dieted two years ago, eating barely 1200 calories/day, even on heavy workout days, and lost 50lbs in 4 months. As soon as the excercising stopped excercising as frequently, the weight came back at rapid speed in all the wrong places (ex: I gained a belly pooch that I never had at my highest weight). Moral of story, it may come of slower, but eat. Longterm, you will thank yourself for it.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    There is no "magic." It's up to YOU.
    Choose healthier foods
    Exercise
    Don't give up
    Take before/during/more during/after pics always
    Slowerrrrrr weightloss is better - helps you commit for longer & creates good habits
    Don't solely rely on the scale
    Don't starve - EAT because it FUELS your body
    Take care of your body - get plenty of sleep
    Drink WATER - as much as you can
    Don't get too hung up on carbs, protein, fat, etc - try to eat balanced and healthier
    Esp for women - don't be afraid to pick up the weights - you won't become a bodybuilder by accident
    READ the message boards - there's tonsssss of good info in them
    Support one another!!!! It helps!!!
    If you have a bad day, talk about it so that you can fully acknowledge areas that need work & then fix them
    Remember that this IS NOT a diet that will end on "x" day, it is a lifestyle.

SORRY that was wayyyyyy more than one thing...but very important!!! oops.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Before you cut calories just log in what you normally eat for two full weeks, everything that goes in your mouth. This gives you a starting point. I learned the hard way that I did not have to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight, I could have cut down to 1700-1800 and lost just as easy and not harmed my metabolism.

Great advice