Breakfast

Options
I'm getting tired of the usual oatmeal, steel cut oats, and smoothie option(s) for breakfast. I would love some new suggestions for more healthy breakfast options.

Replies

• hikerchic
    hikerchic Posts: 23
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on toasted sandwich thins. The protein holds me til 1 or 2pm. Sometimes I make it a sandwich by slicing an apple thin and putting it in between. I also drink a slimfast drink if nothing sounds good in the morning, but I think the peanut butter is healthier.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1. 2 eggs, turkey bacon, spinach, whole wheat tortilla---AND a bit of shredded cheddar. wrap it up and enjoy! ~350 calories

2. whole grain english muffin, spread with cream cheese and a bit of jam. 1 greek yogurt on the side and a piece of fruit. ~350-400 calories

3. cottage cheese, diced fruit, and a slice of ww toast w/ 1 tbsp peanut butter. ~330 calories

4. 2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup black beans, and a bit of monterey jack cheese (1/2 oz). top with salsa. and a slice of toast on the side.~400 calories

5. 2 slices ww toast (140 for 2 slices), spread with 1 tbsp pb each (190 total for pb), and 1/2 sliced banana (100 total for banana). Drizzled with 2 tsp honey or maple syrup on each. (60) ~490 calories
  • rohenna
    rohenna Posts: 21
    Options
    Turkey slices with avocado (instead of butter/marg) on some good healthy toast - love it. Not sure how calorie happy the avocado is yet, but its full of great vitamins and oils, plus the turkey is supposed to contain Tryptophan which helps work against depression (if thats ever a problem for you!).
  • kkamin3
    kkamin3 Posts: 17
    Options
    Great ideas to help me through the next month even into the next year. Thanks! Keep the ideas coming.
  • glenn2u
    glenn2u Posts: 7
    Options
    How about a 3 egg white omellete with salsa, shredded cheddar and green pepper?
    Add two pieces of whole wheat toast. Total damage 280 calories and I feel like I can make it until lunch.
  • kkamin3
    Options
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Just saw this today from Hungry Girl. Sounds yummy and only 272 calories:

HG's Cheesecake Flapjack Stack

Ingredients:
    1/4 tsp. sugar-free French vanilla powdered creamer (like the kind by Coffee-mate)
    2 tbsp. fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
    2 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda or Truvia)
    1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/3 cup whole-wheat flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

Dash salt

1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)

1 tbsp. low-sugar strawberry preserves
    5 frozen unsweetened strawberries, partially thawed and sliced
    1/2 tsp. powdered sugar
    2 tbsp. Fat Free Reddi-wip

Directions:
    To make the cheesecake topping, in a small bowl, mix powdered creamer with 1 tsp. hot water until dissolved. Add cream cheese, 1 sweetener packet, and vanilla extract. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Cover and chill for at least 10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, remaining sweetener packet, and salt. Stir in egg substitute and 1/4 cup water.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add half of the batter to form a large pancake. Cook until pancake begins to bubble and is solid enough to flip, 2 - 3 minutes. Gently flip and cook until both sides are lightly browned and inside is cooked through, 1 - 2 minutes.

Plate your pancake. Remove skillet from heat, re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Repeat with remaining batter to make a second pancake.

Give cheesecake topping a stir and spread half of it onto one pancake. Top with the other pancake and spread with remaining cheesecake topping.

In a microwave-safe bowl, thoroughly mix preserves with 1 tbsp. hot water. Add sliced strawberries and toss to coat. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until warm.

Top pancakes with strawberry topping, powdered sugar, and Reddi-wip. Chow down!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 2 pancakes (entire recipe)
    Calories: 272
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 697mg
    Carbs: 48.5g
    Fiber: 6g
    Sugars: 12.5g
    Protein: 15.5g

PointsPlus® value 7*
  • wiregrrl
    wiregrrl Posts: 14
    Options
    Peanut butter on flatout fold it bread with sliced strawberries
    creamy quinoa (with milk, honey, & sunflower seeds)
    flatout bread with egg, no-fat cream cheese, & ham
  • kkamin3
    Options
    1. 2 eggs, turkey bacon, spinach, whole wheat tortilla---AND a bit of shredded cheddar. wrap it up and enjoy! ~350 calories

2. whole grain english muffin, spread with cream cheese and a bit of jam. 1 greek yogurt on the side and a piece of fruit. ~350-400 calories

3. cottage cheese, diced fruit, and a slice of ww toast w/ 1 tbsp peanut butter. ~330 calories

4. 2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup black beans, and a bit of monterey jack cheese (1/2 oz). top with salsa. and a slice of toast on the side.~400 calories

5. 2 slices ww toast (140 for 2 slices), spread with 1 tbsp pb each (190 total for pb), and 1/2 sliced banana (100 total for banana). Drizzled with 2 tsp honey or maple syrup on each. (60) ~490 calories

Great ideas. Thanks for including the calories as well.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm on a cottage cheese kick...love the Cottage Doubles with Blueberry ..100 calories and I usually have a cup of watermelon with it
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a slice of cinnamon raisin toast with a banana and yogurt on the side. It is easy to just grab and go on the way to work.
  • judybegood
    judybegood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    omelette with 1 egg white and 1 whole egg, lots of veggies, mushrooms, tomato, green pepper, onion and a slice of swiss cheese. It's less calories if you make it with all egg whites but I just can't convince myself to do that.

I shake up my oatmeal too. by adding raisins, nuts & cinnamon or blue berries and usually sweeten with honey.

I try to follow the rule Eat like a king at breakfast, a queen at lunch and a pauper at dinner.
  • kkamin3
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on toasted sandwich thins. The protein holds me til 1 or 2pm. Sometimes I make it a sandwich by slicing an apple thin and putting it in between. I also drink a slimfast drink if nothing sounds good in the morning, but I think the peanut butter is healthier.

I saw this post and headed to the fridge. Toasted wheat bread with sliced green apples, almond butter, and a dash of cinnamon. I stuck some chai seeds (omega 3 & fiber) and cacao nibs (iron) for an extra oomp. Thanks for today's breakfast suggestion :smile:
  • niksinnotts
    niksinnotts Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump! :happy:
  • IamJacksColdSweat
    IamJacksColdSweat Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this morning was my standard breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs ( I use ketchup on mine, but you don't have to :tongue: ), 7 pieces of turkey bacon (the brand I bought last was Butterball Thin & Crispy, and its only 15 cals a slice, but I usually only eat 2 or 3 strips of "normal" calorie turkey bacon, which usually has 30 calories per piece) and a whole green bell pepper. This came up to 298 calories (278 without the ketchup). Some days, I eat steamed spinach instead of a pepper, which is about 20 calories.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Heinz baked beans snap pot with Kingsmill really seeded loaf toasted. Mega good for you!! :-)
  • kkamin3
    Options
    Just saw this today from Hungry Girl. Sounds yummy and only 272 calories:

HG's Cheesecake Flapjack Stack

PointsPlus® value 7*

Hungry girl always has some great ideas. I'm going to have to swing over to her website later.